how do i hang a painting on wall board?

Links & reviews - other arts sites.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

how do i hang a painting on wall board?

Post by Doreen Peri » March 16th, 2008, 2:00 pm

I had leftover drywall.... so i decided it would be silly to throw it away when it could be used as canvases.

So I'm working on this rather large painting... it's approx 2 feet wide by 4 feet high.

And as I'm painting it, i'm wondering.... how the heck am i gonna hang this thing?

Any suggestions?

westcoast

Post by westcoast » March 16th, 2008, 3:19 pm

lol. nope, i'm interested to hear what the other folks say :) would love to see a pic of the piece when completed?

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 16th, 2008, 3:55 pm

it's a floral... i donno why it's always flowers lately... it looks like a wrapping paper design... lol.. i'm just a wrapping paper designer i guess.. geez

will show it when i finish it if i can find the fricking cord to the camera

thanks for wanting to see it, west ;)

Terri

Post by Terri » March 16th, 2008, 4:11 pm

Well, NOW you've got me thinking. Hmm--hanging it ON your drywall wall will be okay; supposedly, you can hang up to 300 lbs, but what I'm wondering is how you'll attach the hangers TO the painting. Maybe you should just plan that in from the beginning? You know, like if you had the four corners with those threaded plastic collar anchors that self-drill into the drywall, and then you screw a steel bolt inside the collar; maybe you could do something visually with the bolts so they were part OF the piece? (Can you tell I like hardware?) OR, you could do what I'd probably do, which would be to lean it up against the wall and not worry about it.

Yeah, this sounds cool; I wanna see it, too. The floral stuff in your portfolio is great, has a nice flow, looseness to it.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 16th, 2008, 4:26 pm

lean it against the wall! That's brilliant! heh... maybe i'll do that.

Thing is, I'm painting to fit. I just got this very large antique mirror and this painting i'm doing fits perfectly in the space to the right of it.... There is a little table there so i *could* conceivably sit it on the table and lean it against the wall but then it wouldn't fit the space as I envision. Hmmm...

The bolt idea would have been a great idea but it's too late for that.

I am definitely NOT a hardware person. I know nothing about the stuff. I'm so inept at anything mechanical. Sooooo.. sounds like you know wayyy more than me.... can you think of any type of hardware I could attach to the back of it? Maybe something I could crazy glue to the back of it or something?... ;)

Terri

Post by Terri » March 16th, 2008, 4:31 pm

I just told Dino, and (independently) he came up with the obvious answer--"Lean it!" Of course, it took me rambling on about collar anchors before I got there--you can tell who wears the toolbelt in our house, huh... Dino follows the Greek method of building things: First, throw away all instructions, second, curse fluently at manufacturer, last, throw away all leftover parts.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 16th, 2008, 4:42 pm

hehe.... hey if there are no extra parts, it wasn't put together right anyway, that's what i figure! ;)

Tell him I said thanks..... and thank YOU, too...it really IS the obvious solution. AND it will match the others i have leaning up against the wall! And if I decide I hate it, like I have before, I can remove it and lean it up against the wall in the closet with the rest of the ones I decided I hated. lol

thanks terri!

Return to “Other Arts Sites”