wwW dot crackhead

Honoring Clay January (Lightning Rod) RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
STUPID BOB

Re: wwW dot crackhead

Post by STUPID BOB » December 9th, 2013, 11:16 am

Man, it's like a pictograph. I could write something long and tedious about the structure of my face after reading something, or I could simply use a modern application of communication and put a damn smiley face on it if warranted.

Clay may not have used emoticons here, but he did when he worked in EDI. They are clarifiers in that niche. You didn't want to piss off a customer, so you use all available tools.
Carpe Delirium

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 9th, 2013, 12:06 pm

I ♥ ♥ ♥ emoticons! They are fun and in this media, when all you have is text, we have no way of knowing sometimes when someone is kidding around, being facetious, or sarcastic :twisted:, since we have no voice inflections, body language, etc.

Clay was adamantly against using them, he stated (an important qualifier), because he SAID he was so confident he was the best writer on the planet :shock: and that all readers could understand his intent. :arrow: You see, Mr. January was quite the bragger, though he was also very aware that OFTEN people did NOT understand his intent. :idea:

Despite his statements that he refused to use them since he was such a great writer, you will find MANY posts where he used this emoticon: :lol: in order to laugh either with people or at them. :mrgreen:

And, I can assure you, that when I was sitting here right next to him and he was of GOOD HUMOR and happy and not trying in the least to piss people off, and had a positive intent in a conversation, that it would baffle him when someone would get mad at what he said. He would sit here and shrug about it. I would say, "Why don't you explain to them that you were just joking. Use a smiley face or something." And he didn't care to spend his time explaining himself.

Other times, he would purposely instigate arguments and he thought it was humorous to get people riled up. :? Why? :?: I don't know.

But search through his posts, Jack, and you will see he MANY times used these: :lol: and :twisted:

And in emails and online on this site, he used emoticons like "hahahahaha" quite often.

So, therefore, his statement that he never used them because his writing was too good and he didn't need to use them was false. :shock:

Imagine that.

Hiya Bob! Nice to see you! xoxox

STUPID BOB

Post by STUPID BOB » December 9th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Over the years between 1990 and his death, Pop used emoticons in personal emails. I know. He asked me what the colon, dash and closed paren meant. So, I taught him what emoticons were. I cheat here a bit, knowing him like I did. Like DP, I knew him VERY WELL. Perhaps better than anyone on the planet - including his sisters Christye and Robin.

XoxoxoxoxoxO
Carpe Delirium

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 9th, 2013, 2:22 pm

One thing I know for sure, he's smiling ear to ear right now knowing people are still talking about him. He loved attention. :mrgreen: I miss trying to feed him. Poor guy wouldn't eat.

Anybody hungry? I love to cook. :D

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 11th, 2013, 9:45 am

Doreen wrote:
You see, Mr. January was quite the bragger
Maybe but you know it is hard to be humble if you are a native born Texan. 8)
10-4 on his being pleased. :!:

Clay never used an insincere emoticon :lol: :wink:

Or if he did it was only because he was being ironic. 8)

and ten four on the arguments
one time I got so angry at him I got the adrenalin shakes.
but never thought about him as anything but a friend, never a thought of raising my hand against him.

Return to “Lightning Rod”