Lightning Rod (news)

Honoring Clay January (Lightning Rod) RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: Lightning Rod (news)

Post by Doreen Peri » January 19th, 2013, 5:27 pm

judih wrote:holding breath
breathing slowly
sending wishes for an ease off this plane
that's beautiful

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 20th, 2013, 2:42 am

I been thinking about going to Dallas to see Clay. But I don't know how much company he wants.

Probably a dumb idea.

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » January 20th, 2013, 4:17 am

If you want to visit him he'd prolly like that someone wants to be there and visit.
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
little mischievous darling!
~Lewis Carroll

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 20th, 2013, 5:01 am

I was advised by 3 different people who have seen him not to go, as I said in my last post, because I might miss him by the time I got there, and because he's unresponsive much of the time and might not even know I'm there, plus I was told it's best to remember him when he was healthier. He's barely hanging on.

I'm passing this info along to you because it really probably applies to everyone. It's sad, I know. I'm sorry.

That said, it's up to you, of course.

You can try if you want but I wanted to let you know what others who had seen him told me.

I think we should focus on his life and celebrate his many talents and all the gifts he gave us and pray he's comfortable and not in pain.

Thank you all for being his friend.

i'm very sad. :(

but I'm very happy we all have so many gifts... his talents... which will assure he lives on

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » January 20th, 2013, 6:59 am

Lightning Rod performing Sowebo Festival Baltimore, Md. 2005
He could make you smile with his delivery and style, a charmer when performing. We did more than a few together, all of them memorable.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by WIREMAN on January 23rd, 2013, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 22nd, 2013, 3:23 pm

Didn't L'Rod recently have a birthday? How old a man is he?

I've been tongue-tied over what to say about his deteriorating health... always a troublesome subject for me to talk about. But others have been able and after thinking so much about this talented and clever man, I will miss him. We certainly had a few tangles together over topics I've long forgotten about... shows how important they really were. But it drew me closer to him as even disagreement will often do. It's a drawing together scenario to bicker and bitch about one thing or another as long as we can give it a rest and know we care. I did care and do care... and I also know that his body is weak and the will to live is diminishing daily. If it wasn't for his art and talents leaving trails of his being here, sharing that talent with any one and every one that listened, read or watched. That is a wonderful legacy for anyone to leave behind... and L'Rod did a great job. He'll be missed by many as people came thru his life for years and years... a lucky soul to have so many friends.

_______

Fear not what lies beyond, Clay January, for as you well know one closed door opens but another and your curiosity and joy of life will certainly be fulfilled on the other side. Pray for all that have known you on this side... we could all use it!

I'll always regret not meeting you person-to-person, even tho we are both Texans and live some 12 hours away from each other. But thru is infernal machine, the internet did bring us together on many occasions and for that I am forever grateful.

Take care, pardner... ride easy into the sunset...

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 22nd, 2013, 5:14 pm

Lrod always did enjoy a good debate or argument. He's feisty like that.

I, too, can barely remember all we argued about. It doesn't even matter right now.

Cecil, your kind thoughts are appreciated and I know he can feel them... even though he can't read this.

Mark, I remember that day well. We had a good time at Sowebo and all the times we performed together.

I haven't been able to DO anything for 4 days other than lie here, tap away on my laptop, post Clay's photos and music and memories on FB, and sit and wait or sleep for hours on end ... just waiting to hear that at LEAST they've gotten the pain well managed.

I know the signs of depression when I have them. Sleeping 10 hours at night and 4 hours during the day isn't normal. I have so much work to do.

I'm missing him and feeling guilty for even splitting from him in 2009, thinking it should be me there by his side. I was told by his sister, Troll, and another friend, not to go there to see him suffering so. I'm reluctantly abiding by that advice.

zero_hero

Post by zero_hero » January 22nd, 2013, 11:28 pm

Clay, I am going to call it pips and face book ghosts, an interrupted conversation with my internet friend Clay January. The Hyper-reality of disembodied friendships on the internet.

I been hanging out at Yale University lately

http://oyc.yale.edu/philosophy/phil-176#sessions
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Doreen:

There is a bit from shakespeare something like "everyone can bear a grief except she who has it"

I never met clay,I have no feel for him. I was always intending to meet him some day. I wish I had even a hand shake to remember him by. I guess I feel guilty about that.
but I cried for JFK and I never shook his hand
maybe it just has not hit me yet
I try to remember he is still alive
Some part of me wishes him still to survive, a medical miracles, isn't that a pretty thought :?

I have been so angry at Clay I could hardly type my hands shaking so badly.

Somehow all us pecker-heads here managed to be civil to each other.

That is you Doreen, and it is also Clay too, thank you.

I will light a candle for him
and I will cover my mirrors
when the news comes to me of his death

just like I was sitting shiva for him
he was one eighth a jew he said.
funny how that changed how I felt about him
I used to call him my white friend
what a racist i am :(

good night doreen
I asked an orthodox Jew why they covered the mirrors when a loved one died, he said it is so as not to see your face least you feel guilty to be alive. Not sure if that is true, j would know.
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » January 23rd, 2013, 12:14 am

Doreen Peri wrote:Lrod always did enjoy a good debate or argument. He's feisty like that.

I, too, can barely remember all we argued about. It doesn't even matter right now.

Cecil, your kind thoughts are appreciated and I know he can feel them... even though he can't read this.

Mark, I remember that day well. We had a good time at Sowebo and all the times we performed together.

I haven't been able to DO anything for 4 days other than lie here, tap away on my laptop, post Clay's photos and music and memories on FB, and sit and wait or sleep for hours on end ... just waiting to hear that at LEAST they've gotten the pain well managed.

I know the signs of depression when I have them. Sleeping 10 hours at night and 4 hours during the day isn't normal. I have so much work to do.

I'm missing him and feeling guilty for even splitting from him in 2009, thinking it should be me there by his side. I was told by his sister, Troll, and another friend, not to go there to see him suffering so. I'm reluctantly abiding by that advice.
Sitting at his bedside in a state of positive support is perhaps better done virtually. Sadness is normal and your emotions show your attachment. It's all very real. Somehow, it's necessary to let the emotions turn into positive support for his passing. He could use such support at this time. You know how to give it. LRod lived as only he could live this life. Now, he has to let go. So must we.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 23rd, 2013, 12:47 am

Thanks, Judih. I'm well aware he's leaving us and I accept that. He needs to be out of pain and to let go and move on. Yes, I'm attached, but I'm not delusional thinking that there's any way he'll be healed or recover. He's transitioning and it's time for him to accept it as I accept it and as all his friends and family accept it. He's a lucky man to have created such love in his life. He's touched so many lives.

I don't know how death works. I know that eventually the body shuts down.... But that's all I know. It's time for him to leave us and lead the way. We'll all follow him eventually. All of us have to go through this.

It just hurts so much to know he's suffering so much.

I'm with him, albeit virtually... but still I know he knows my heart is there.

The grieving, the mourning... these are natural things. I just have to learn how to best cope so I can remain healthy and continue working on the changes I'm making in my life.

He will always live on in the hearts and spirits of all the artists, musicians, and poets whose lives he touched... all those who've worked with him and knew him.

He may have had a tough exterior and the ability to use biting sarcasm mingled with his wit, but underneath he is and always will be one of the gentlest, bright warm and inspiring lights I have ever had the opportunity to meet.

I only wish that some of you could have met him and felt the warmth of his smile and his embrace.

He had a hard life. He created it, yes. It was what he chose. But it was still a GIVING life where his intelligence, wisdom, and creativity enriched the lives of many.

It's not right that he's suffering so. I pray for him to be at peace and out of pain.

xoxo

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » January 23rd, 2013, 11:53 am

may he be delivered from the pain - no one should suffer so

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 27th, 2013, 1:32 am

He shall be released any day now.

singlemalt

Post by singlemalt » January 29th, 2013, 12:19 am

Sorry to hear about this Doreen. I wish him well. I always see your FB posts so I'll continue to monitor the news.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » January 30th, 2013, 3:27 am

thanks for letting us know, for sharing, for allowing us to offer our empathies and respects.
may peace be his

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » January 30th, 2013, 7:03 pm

I deleted the copy of an email I got from Clay's friend, Bob, because it wasn't right for me to publish the whole email.

Basically, the email from Bob said that yesterday Clay was totally unresponsive and had no lucid moments, plus didn't seem to acknowledge or recognize names. He never opened his eyes during Bob's entire visit. He's reported the same exact thing today after visiting him today. It's good to know he is out of pain now since the meds are working to control the pain.

Thank you all for your kind supportive words, and I too, wish him a peaceful passing.

Love to you all.

Return to “Lightning Rod”