Master's of Science Fiction

Hang out. Talk trash.
stilltrucking

Master's of Science Fiction

Post by stilltrucking » August 16th, 2007, 9:01 pm

I can't think of a better place to put a post about a TV show
can't get no more trashy than that

This guy did not like it.

'Masters of Science Fiction' on ABC is stuck in the past.
The show's themes are so last century. More effective is 'Jekyll' on BBC America.

Not that the issues of the last century -- or millennium, for that matter -- evaporated at the turn of this one, or that a 20th century person has nothing to say to the children of the 21st. But most of what's presented here labors under the shadow of Hiroshima and the Cold War world: the possible end of all things, widespread sickness, genetic mutation, death from above, invasion, enslavement and the suspicion that our machines will be the end of us.
read more here

http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/la-et-ma ... tvent-util

This guy liked it.
Episode Recap: "A Clean Escape"
Well, as John Kessel (the author of the short story adapted for this first broadcast episode of the series) advised us, the acting by Judy Davis and Sam Waterston in "A Clean Escape" was excellent; it was particularly good to see Waterston away from the harness of Law and Order (and he even got to be the U.S. president in this one, as opposed to district attorney or ADA for NYC). Good performances are crucial in this kind of context; as several have noted elsewhere, this was largely a two-character drama, one which with not much revision could be nearly as powerful as a "legitimate" theater/stage play, particularly given the stark and sweeping ethical dilemmas involved: personal responsibility, the (necessary?) abuse of (always corrupting or at least reason-distorting?) great political and military power, real and metaphorical losses reinforcing one another as the drama plays out. Literary sf (along with other forms of fantastic literature, such as fantasy and surrealist fiction) and stage drama both lend themselves to this kind of concrete metaphor even more than, say, most film or contemporary mimetic or "realist" fiction...
read more here
http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry ... /800019864
Last edited by stilltrucking on August 16th, 2007, 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 16th, 2007, 9:03 pm

Can't wait to watch it! Because of your previous link on another thread, I sat there and watched all the clips for a long time the other night. I loved it! Going to watch it Sat night!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 23rd, 2007, 5:54 pm

The first episode was the best.
The female doctor was portrayed better in the tv show by that actress old what's her name? The Mp3 of the author reading the story was lame. You know me I am always looking for heroes. Even tragic ones. I wish I could remember that actress's name.

The rest of the shows were all okay.
Kind of a similiar theme in all five episodes
the the bad guy keeps turning out to be the president.

If I can find her name I will post it later
Great actress
Great performance
She will probably never get an Emmy for it
just trashy sci fi
Seems to be the style these days
the future as present.

Peevette

Post by Peevette » September 23rd, 2007, 6:58 pm

just trashy sci fi
I like trashy sci fi
[i]Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield.[/i]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 23rd, 2007, 8:20 pm

Judy Davis was the actress
Strong performance in A Clean Escape
Sam Waterston too.

Teleplay by Emmy Nominee Sam Egan
Based on the short story by Nebula Award Winner John Kessel
Directed by Academy Award Nominee Mark Rydell (For the Boys, On Golden Pond)
Starring Two-time Academy Award Nominee Judy Davis (The Break Up, Marie Antoinette) and Academy Award Nominee Sam Waterston (The Killing Fields, ‘Law & Order’)

A dying Dr. Deanna Evans refuses to believe that her patient, Robert Havelmann, cannot remember the last 25 years of his life. It remains unclear why she has been so obsessed with this particular patient until the final, shocking conclusion.
http://www.mastersofscifi.com/site/mast ... davis.html

Return to “Trailerpark”