Tom Waits

Hang out. Talk trash.
stilltrucking

Tom Waits

Post by stilltrucking » September 10th, 2005, 1:13 pm

(1) Intro from "Nighthawks At The Diner":

"For all the bachelors out there tonight. Yeah, for anybody who’s ever whistled this song (plays the wedding march). Or maybe you’ve whistled it but you’ve lost the sheet music. Eh-heh-heh-heh. This is eh.... Well, actually, I don’t mind going to weddings or anything. As long as it’s not my own, I show up. But, eh... I’ve always kind of been partial to calling myself up on the phone and asking myself out. You know... (whoops from the audience). Oh yeah, you call yourself up too, huh? Yeah... Well, one thing about it, you’re always around! Yeah, I know. Yeah, you ask yourself out, you know. Some class joint somewhere. The Burrito King or something. You know... Well, I ain’t cheap, you know. Take yourself out for a couple of drinks maybe, you know. Then you’ll be... some provocative conversation on the way home. And park in front of the house, you know, and you... Oh yeah, you´re smooth with it... you know, you put a little nice music on. Maybe you put on like... you know... like shopping music, something that’s not too interruptive, you know. And then, you know, and eh... slide over real nice, you know, say, ’Oh, I think you have something in your eye’. Eh-heh-heh. Well, maybe it’s not that romantic with you, but Christ, I... you know! It ain’t... you know... Take myself up to the porch, and take myself inside. Oh, maybe... I make a little something, a brandy snifter or something. Would you like to listen to some of my back records. I got something here... Well, usually about 2.30 in the morning you’ve ended up taking advantage of yourself and... there ain’t no way around that, you know. Yeah, making the scene with a magazine, there ain’t no way around... I’ll confess, you know, I’m no different, you know. I’m not weird about it or anything. I don’t tie myself up first, I just... you know. I just kind of... spend a little time with myself. So this is kind of a little anthem here..." (Submitted by Ulf Berggren as sent to Raindogs Listserv Discussionlist, October 31, 1999)

Better Off Without A Wife(1)
All my friends are married
Every Tom and Dick and Harry(2)
You must be strong if you’re to go it alone
Here’s to the bachelors and the Bowery(3) bums(4)
Those who feel that they’re the ones
That are better off without a wife
Cause I like to sleep until the crack of noon
Midnight howlin’ at the moon
Goin’ out when I want to,
And I’m comin’ home when I please
Don’t have to ask permission
If I wanna go out fishin’
Never have to ask for the keys
I’ve never been no Valentino(5)
But I had a girl who lived in Reno(6)
Left me for a trumpet player
Well, it didn’t get me down
He was wanted for assault
And though he said it weren’t his fault
You know the coppers(7) rode him right out of town(8)
I’ll be sleeping until the crack of noon
And I’ll be goin’ out when I want to
Comin’ home when I please
Never have to ask for the keys
Yeah, you see I’m kinda selfish about my privacy
Now as long as I can be with me
We get along so well I can’t even believe it
I love to chew the fat(9) with folks
I’ll be listening to all your dirty jokes
I’m so thankful for these friends I do receive
I’ll be sleeping until the crack of noon
And I’ll be goin’ out when I want to
Comin’ home when I please
Never have to ask for the keys, no
Hey, I got this girl I know, man, and I just...
She’s been married several times and...
I don’t wanna end up like her.
I mean, she’s been married so many times
she’s got rice-marks all over her face.
Yeah, you know the kind...
Written by: Tom Waits
Published by: Fifth Floor Music Inc. (ASCAP
), ©1975

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 10th, 2005, 11:34 pm

I got so many married friends I don't know what the song means, but even jitterbug who has the happiest marriage I have ever seen just don't always follow me. Some of us are just singletons. No disrespect intended for any of my married friends. I know why jitterbug made an honest woman out his wife. Small rural community she would have be shunned by those old hillbilly women. The ones she needed for support, the big city california girl that she was. I mean we are talking farm wife, a million things she needed to know, canning, gardening, cooking. She out of a university enviorment smartest woman I know. Such a quiet love my brother has. I have never heard a cross word between them in thirty years.

K&D

Post by K&D » September 11th, 2005, 3:02 am

my friend and her boyfriend are constantly together its driving me nuts...what the fuck is that smell? it suddenly smells like shit. anyways now my roomate has an older guy over, a different one before, and my other friend is constantly dating and then emily, this girl i know is making out/spending the night with two different boys, there freshman roomates.

agh!
Blah!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 11th, 2005, 9:22 am

my friend and her boyfriend are constantly together its driving me nuts
so you are jealous?

K&D

Post by K&D » September 11th, 2005, 11:33 am

no its like she just pays attention to him, and she sems to think that this is acceptable.
Blah!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 11th, 2005, 12:12 pm

Right, so you are jealous of the attention she pays him. By the way the smell is me. Dead rats with maggots, I know that smell well.

K&D

Post by K&D » September 11th, 2005, 6:15 pm

i'm a very intimate/possesive person...if i don't have that one, whether it be a plutonic friend or a boyfriend, i feel like i'm missing out on that connection i'm always rambling on...so yeah perhaps i'm a little jealous. people use to joke and say we were a couple before he was around.
Blah!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 11th, 2005, 7:47 pm

I feel no jealousy for jitterbug and his wife, just happy they have found each other.

What is going on with the socially awkward one?

K&D

Post by K&D » September 12th, 2005, 1:29 am

i went on several occasions to try to find the boy, to see some jazz on the quad. anyway, the other day i tried and he was busy doing homework. today i finnaly caught him but he said he was going to get groceries, he is clearly not intrested in me, or too socially akward. he said "sorry if i seem like a jerk" and made no attempt to say that we should hang out some other time. he doesn't like me. i'm not embarrased just sad.

trucker, i havent had a crush since middle school this hard, and its kind of a let down, no its a really big let down. now i go back to not paying much attention to guys. even though everyone around me is hooking up. some with mulitiple people. i just want to get to know someone you know. my best friend has a boyfriend and i'm playing second string. im an extravert, its part of who i am, wanting and needing to have someone to be close to. :cry:
Blah!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 12th, 2005, 5:35 am

its part of who i am, wanting and needing to have someone to be close to.
nothing wrong with that. I just don't think you can go looking for it.

Got to strike like lightning when you least expect it. Meanwhile it is fun to learn. College is great I loved every minute of the experience.

The problem with looking for it is you don't always see objectively, you want to see it in another person, and if you want to bad enough you will make yourself see it, whether it is there or not. Like filling in the blanks. connecting the dots.

I read something about Lolita, the author said that what Humbert had done was solipsize her. You suppose a woman can do that to a man? I think it is less likely. What did you know about the guy except he was adorable? I fall in love with every beautiful face I see. I got a heart like a wheel, turn the knob up pops another beautiful face. I feel pretty close to the women on studio eight, I collect bits and pieces and construct the perfect lover in my mind. Solipsize every one. I finally found the right voice to go with anniefay's hair, illuminara's knees (sometimes I think I see her here all though she uses a different handle) , mousey1's sense of humor, judih's soul, Doreen's ah (I better not say, Clay might hurt me) SooZen's zenn and so on. Dr Frank N Furter at work. Oh yeah and your whiskers. :)

get yourself a big fuzzy warm stuffed aligator and fall asleep every night hugging it. That is what I do.

Trying to remember a troubadour's song about true love from 12th century France

The eye goes reconoitering for what is pleasing to the heart, for as all lovers know true love is perfect kindness, and when all three are in accord, true love is born. Something like that but I have mangled it pretty bad. I will see if I can find the song and post it later.

K&D

Post by K&D » September 12th, 2005, 11:29 am

i knew he was a bit different then most of the assholes you meet. he wasn't in to chit chat...but you definetly have a point.

i like mouseys sence of humor a lot too.
Blah!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 12th, 2005, 10:10 pm

"I don't believe in anything bigger than me." Sparky you crack me up. I wish you well, I wish you happiness in work and love, about the best we can hope for in ths best of all fuked up worlds.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 19th, 2005, 12:25 pm

K&D wrote:boredom is not being able to do what you want to-
That's not boredom.

That's poor-dom.

;)

I had a friend who used to say that. "If I can't do what I want to do whenever I want to do it, go where I want to whenever I want to go there...... I'm poor."

He never was wealthy but he lived by this philosophy, even if he had to steal his way through.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 9th, 2005, 8:03 am

I can think of a lot of things that I do not want to do but that I do anyway.

Those are the things that bother me more than the things I want to do but I can't.

Return to “Trailerpark”