My own special prayer, for my own special needs.

Hang out. Talk trash.
gypsyjoker

My own special prayer, for my own special needs.

Post by gypsyjoker » November 1st, 2005, 10:57 pm

"It says in the brochure," said Arthur, pulling it out of his pocket and looking at it again, "that I can have a special prayer, individually tailored to me and my special needs."
"Oh, all right," said the old man. "Here's a prayer for you. Got a pencil?'
"Yes," said Arthur.
"It goes like this. Let's see now: ""Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.'' That's it. It's what you pray silently inside yourself anyway, so you may as well have it out in the open.'
"Hmmm," said Arthur. "Well, thank you -"
"There's another prayer that goes with it that's very important,' continued the old man, "so you'd better jot this down, too.'
"OK."
"It goes, ""Lord, lord, lord...'' It's best to put that bit in, just in case. You can never be too sure ""Lord, lord, lord. Protect me from the consequences of the above prayer. Amen...'' And that's it. Most of the trouble people get into in life comes from missing out that last part.'

courtesy douglas adams
http://flag.blackened.net/dinsdale/dna/book5.html
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » November 2nd, 2005, 1:14 pm

What's new pussycat.
I could delete that
it sounds so clueless
When jimboloco asked how do you respond to a post like that. When I said it I was thinking of perezoso (not sure if that was before your time here)
but later I thought of you and that haloween costome.
kind of a social contract thing I suppose do I really have autism, is that why I have so much trouble with words. Don't know, it just seems lke a dumb thing to say to a woman you hardly know. Just wanted you to know what was on my mind when I said it.
They say aspergers have difficult expressing emotion, makes them seem like a stalker. but you know I am probably a hypochondriac like my father before me. :wink:

speaking of that I found this bit from rousseau, I don't think I have understood the noble/unoble savage arguement. Too many years as a sophomore anthropology confuses me.

but what do you make of this bit.

THE SOCIAL CONTRACT
OR PRINCIPLES OF POLITICAL RIGHT
by Jean Jacques Rousseau

Furthermore, the citizen is no longer the judge of the dangers to which the law-desires him to expose himself; and when the prince says to him: "It is expedient for the State that you should die," he ought to die, because it is only on that condition that he has been living in security up to the present, and because his life is no longer a mere bounty of nature, but a gift made conditionally by the State.
http://www.constitution.org/jjr/socon_02.htm#005
Free Rice

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

K&D

Post by K&D » November 2nd, 2005, 1:45 pm

i love rousseau....so i got a question truckin....how did you learn what you learned? i mean about literature and ideas and shit....i want to know the whole fucking run down too....and secondly, we haven't talked in a while....have you recoverd, i'm not sure what happened, you went to the hospital?
Blah!

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » November 2nd, 2005, 6:09 pm

if you get a chance to check out snippets I am doing a thing for Cecil, very interesting experience for a monk like me (well a solitary old bear in a cave) to get out and live intametly with so many people for 14 days. What was the line "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers?" or as the cowboy heminngway billy joe shaver would say, "my dearest friends are perfect strangers.

It was a test for an insulin infusion pump. they needed to have total control of us for up to 22 days. It paid two hundred a day, but after eleven days I was getting conflicted, the money was good but

got to go phone
bmore later
Free Rice

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » November 3rd, 2005, 12:23 am

....have you recoverd, i'm not sure what happened, you went to the hospital?
Question one, still working on snippet, mostly posting the up side, there is a weirder darker side too. Going to put that here. For now I can just tell you that it took four days at home before I could put my hand in my pocket without wincing in pain. But I got my motorcycle.

Ok question two
how did you learn what you learned? i mean about literature and ideas and shit....
and shit is right, I am almost sixty five, three times your age lets see could you be my great grandaugher? If you live long enough even an idiot like me can learn a few things.

Not that well read in literature.

Ok one question for you... what about that quote from R. I posted here. What do you think about an individual owing his life to the state? I have not read any Rousseau at all, I heard you discussing it with Marksman but I must say I was shocked by this quote.
Furthermore, the citizen is no longer the judge of the dangers to which the law-desires him to expose himself; and when the prince says to him: "It is expedient for the State that you should die," he ought to die, because it is only on that condition that he has been living in security up to the present, and because his life is no longer a mere bounty of nature, but a gift made conditionally by the State.
http://www.constitution.org/jjr/socon_02.htm#005

Is that what we have now in Iraq, a noble cause that the young must die for?
Free Rice

K&D

Post by K&D » November 3rd, 2005, 2:25 am

i think what he's saying is that if you live your life a slave to the state that you might as well die when the state tells you to die, since the only thing you've ever known was that you were a slave to the state...give me a bit more time on this one, i'm fucking tired.
Blah!

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » November 3rd, 2005, 1:15 pm

yeah don't loose any sleep over it, I just didn't want you to get any wrong ideas about me. Like I was well read in philosophy.
I found it counter productive to try and pose about stuff I don't know. I don't plan to read Rousseau, if I ask good questions I am sure a lot of it will rub off on me.

Bascically Nietzsche, and Husserl. The only ones I have spent much time reading. A guy named Walter Kaufmann who spent a lot of years translating Nietzsche. I have read a lot of his stuff. Almost finished with his The Faith Of A Heretic. He was raised a lutheran in germany and then in his thirties he converted to Judaism and later found out that all four of his grandparents were Jews.

so anyway I just come back to make a post, talk at you later.
Free Rice

Return to “Trailerpark”