Animal Intelligence

Animal Welfare Issues.
abcrystcats

Animal Intelligence

Post by abcrystcats » March 11th, 2008, 10:58 pm

I am freaking out that this forum is still here. I am still here and Arcanum will not let me in with any variation of my usual password ...

My cats know when I am coming home. They hear my car and they sit in the window and wait for me. They hear the sound of my car or else they can time my coming home. I don't care which one it is. Telepathy or not, they are waiting and looking.

I think most animals with human connections do the same thing. It is not a super-strength. It's just love. No big deal. That is what I could not say on Arcanum this evening ....

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 12th, 2008, 10:59 am

Read an interesting article about Elephants and mirrors I have always wanted to have an elephant since I worked with them in the circus. They say that only the apes, dolphins and now Elephants are self aware
Elephants Recognize Selves in Mirror, Study Says

John Roach
for National Geographic News

October 30, 2006
Elephants can recognize themselves in mirrors, according to a new study. Humans, great apes, and dolphins are the only other animals known to possess this form of self-awareness.

All of these animals also lead socially complex lives and display empathy—concern and understanding of another's feelings—researchers report.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... hants.html
Definitions of Sentience on the Web:
Sentience refers to possession of sensory organs, the ability to feel or perceive, not necessarily including the faculty of self-awareness. The possession of sapience is not a necessity. ...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl ... n&ct=title
I have not had a cat in over twenty years. I have a dog for the first time in twenty seven years.

I wonder how these human associated animal think. No doubt they "think" some how. At least that is what I believe, I can't even begin to understand how I could think without words. But there must be more to thinking than just stringing words together in a sentence.

Or a text box
good to see ya

the flaming ace

Post by the flaming ace » April 8th, 2008, 11:29 am

4 cats in a tinderbox!
the queen is the smallest
big boy is the lost kitty!
[b][color=darkgreen]one more for th road[/color][/b] :mrgreen:

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » April 28th, 2008, 5:23 am

kitty shit in the kitchen
five boxes full
cats can have such total control of humans
an obsession

Weird phase I am going through, eidetic images from sixty years ago flashing to mind. I feel like the HAL computer in the 2001 movie getting his memory banks re-programed with a fire axe.

Do you remember your first memory of a kitten?
Oh man was I scared of those needle sharp claws.

Mary had a little lammmmmbbbbbb
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

Return to “Cathouse”