Animal Welfare Issues.
stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 30th, 2004, 6:35 pm

Last edited by stilltrucking on December 23rd, 2004, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » October 30th, 2004, 7:11 pm

You used to work with these elephants? Wow, you'll have to share more about that.

I have a few questions about this ... the Hawthorn Corporation was cited for failing to provide medical care. Well, the elephants have TB. I'm unfamiliar with the treatment of elephant TB, but treating elephants for anything is usually incredibly costly. And ... if it's TB, there's no cure, so ... Unless the elephants were in pain and he didn't provide pain relief, or there's something else I don't know about, maybe his lack of treatment had some reason behind it. I'm not justifying it, just wondering about the details.

What's this about throwing formaldehyde on an elephant's feet? I was unclear about what that's supposed to do, or why someone would do it.

Declawing large cats is just about one of the stupidest and cruelest things to do. These declawings are rarely uncomplicated. They usually cause tremendous pain for the animal, and frequently infections and mutated regrowths. I am against declawing for housecats, just in general, but there are SOME vets who can do this procedure quite skilfully. I still wouldn't do it for a variety of reasons. Large cats, forget it.

Here is the trouble with trying to make money off exotic animals. Everything works well until the animal gets sick. Once vet bills start to enter the picture, the costs outweigh the financial benefits.

I feel sure the Elephant Sanctuary will move heaven and earth to find room for your friends.

This business about breeding tigers in captivity really bothers me. It's a controversial topic. What's your opinion of it?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 18th, 2004, 8:10 pm

Return to “Cathouse”