...Mz. Polly's Dog

Animal Welfare Issues.
stilltrucking

...Mz. Polly's Dog

Post by stilltrucking » December 11th, 2006, 10:47 am

...working on reposting deletions to this string.

Listening to Mz Polly’s dog
Its lonely confused barking from next door
Here at the senior citizens village
Mz Polly won't be coming home
Mz Polly got so old she had to be put in a group nursing home, four women to a room and minimum wage caretakers who frighten her. She don't ask about Nikko anymore.
So I offer to take him in
The little pure bred Pekinese is 13 years old
I know he is going to break my heart
Still spry and vicious
When I first moved here and I met him on the sidewalk I could feel the breeze from his snapping jaws on my ankles as he followed me.
Been a long time since I had a four-legged friend.
Now he is just a furry four-footed friend.
I wish I could figure out the food thing.
The only person Mz Polly cooked for was Nikko
She got her meals on wheels
He got fresh hamburger and chicken
I don't always get fresh hamburger and chicken.

Mz Polly on her way home
Mini stroking out
She would come to my door in a panic, I would walk her home, I had to hold her arm just to keep the wind from picking her up like a dry leaf, petite frail woman, The EMS would come about once a month, because she would get confused on her meds. This is a senior citizen complex, we got panic buttons all over our apartments.
So now she is living in a group home, regular nursing care. She is still got a grip on it cause she sent a toy for Nikko. I think it is important to take Nikko to see her. I don't know how long Polly will last there.

Thanks for the advice Deb, but Nikko is 14 years old, his teeth are not as sharp at they used to be thank god. He is one vicious little son of bitch; he has bit me twice, no three times, so far this week. I am not about to fuck with his diet. Some times I can get him to take a lump of Pedigree out of my hand, my sister can get him to eat, I don't think he weighs more than a couple of pounds, amazing how small he is under all that hair. MZ Polly took good care of him. Seven tines 14. 98 human years, yeah Mz Polly loves her dog. Me too.

I walk around looking for him sometimes, he sleeps a lot, and he snores sometimes. When he is up he is happy, frisky, and all Pekinese. It amazes me how the aggression cuts loose if you mess with his toys. He is an intact male. Got so many growls and snarls in his repertoire No wonder women love peeks so much. Joan Rivers’s advice to her daughter was sage, "get a dog"

I don't when he eats; he seems to eat so little. My sister bought some 27% protein dry dog food, he seems to like that. His jaws so tiny, going to go see Mz Polly tomorrow, take Nikko for a visit. Mz Margaret her friend going to take me. I rode with Margaret the other day and she stopped on a railroad track waiting for a red light to change. This isn’t some rusty sidetrack; it is the main line of the Southern Pacific. Trains ball every half hour it seems. I don't know if I can stand to ride with her again. Every body Mz or Mr. here, I am Mister Jack to Margaret.

Good to know you are still kicking cat.

Nikko and me have achieved a balance of terror. He fears me sometimes and I fear him. Most of the time we are very affectionate. I don't mess with his stuff and he thinks twice about biting me now. The last couple hardly broke the skin.

He can run half the house; he pays his way with companionship. Smart dog. Foo dog. Such a strange round-eyed dog. My four footed furry pal.

One big glump
I have to figure out what goes where.
Nothing personal Cat
Nothing to do with you.
Sorry for the deletions it was that or cut off my ear
I got dem Kafka blues again.
It is funny how a stranger can expose one's inner frightened child.
I will never be comfortable in my skin
I suppose that is why I want to ...
Last edited by stilltrucking on February 11th, 2007, 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » December 12th, 2006, 2:48 pm

I'm sorry Mz Polly isn't going to be coming home, and I bet Nikko isn't going to be the only one missing her.

Dogs need a balanced, healthy diet that includes dry and wet foods and dogs that have little to no activity should only be offered small amounts of food, morning and evening. Fresh water is the only thing that need be available 24 hours a day. Food should be put down and allowed to eat for a short period of time (max 1 hour) and if not eaten during that time - discarded. The only time a dog needs special foods is when they have no teeth, or are having teeth/gum problems and then you should be following what your vet is recommending.

Get Nikko some quality dry and wet food; Science Diet is good. And it's okay to mix the two together for feedings; or you can offer one type of food in the morning and the other type in the evenings.

Some dogs don't do well on wet food ... it can give them lose stools; dry food only fixes that problem.

Now the harder part ...

Little dogs, like big dogs, should not be nipping at people's ankles (or other body parts) even if you are taking away a toy, or food! People allow it for little dogs because they think it's 'cute' ... but if it's not cute for big dogs and it's not cute for little dogs either; it's aggressive behaviour that needs to be stopped. And no - a 13/14 dog isn't too old for the dog to learn that’s it’s not okay, and to learn other behaviours.

You are now this dog's new “pack leader” - so you set the tone of how things will be in your house – and you need to set the tone for being able to take anything away from this dog that you don’t’ want them to have – without you getting nipped or bit in the process; and if you don't do this - Nikko will rule you and the house, and even possibly getting keep getting worse & worse until you do. Not being your dog’s 'pack leader' can make dogs neurotic as all get out.

For help on how (and why it’s important) to do this … watch The Dog Whisperer – Cesar Millan (on the National Geographic Channel – usually Friday evenings) and also read here:
http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/tips/index.php

And remember to take Nikko for a walk every day … it’s good for him, and you! Plus it’s the best way to bond.

Enjoy your new buddy!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 13th, 2006, 10:26 am

Last edited by stilltrucking on January 26th, 2007, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 13th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Last edited by stilltrucking on January 26th, 2007, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » December 14th, 2006, 2:26 pm

I'm glad to hear Mz Polly's still alive and that you're taking Nikko to visit her ... that's so helpful to folks in her position, having their beloved pets come visit. You are such a dear to take Nikko and to go visit, braving the poor driving judgement of Margaret in the process.

You mentioned once you had a motorcycle … I don’t think it would be a good idea to take Nikko to Mz Polly on your motorcycle. ~chuckling~

I know you'll take good care of this little critter, and him you in return. Match made in heaven I'd say.

Ummm (thinking…)

Women tend to out live their husbands; you live in a retirment community; I bet other males are few and far between where you are living …

Jack be nimble
Jack be quick
Jack better not be burning both ends of his candle stick!

:lol:

<3 U

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 14th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Last edited by stilltrucking on January 26th, 2007, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 15th, 2006, 9:12 am

Last edited by stilltrucking on January 26th, 2007, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » December 15th, 2006, 3:09 pm

He's asserted his dominance - aggressively. He's running your house. If you want your house back, you'll need to become the dominant one. You need to become his pack leader and show him in dog language that you mean business.

He's asserted his dominance - he's running your house. If you want your house back, you'll need to become the dominant one. You need to become his pack leader and show him in dog language that you mean business.

To do this you use calm, assertive energy – and begin disciplining him…
Not with words, with your actions.

You get him by the scruff of the neck – the back of the neck (the way a mom dog carries their babies) so you don’t get bit and push him firmly and fully to floor. [a trick to get his neck is to first use a towel in a ball in front of his face to bite - and then when bites; use you other hand to get his scruff. And no - it's doesn't hurt him.

Then firmly (not roughly) push him down, and once down, roll him on his side and hold him there in that position (use your other hand, arm, leg) using firm (not hard!) direct pressure until you feel him surrender to you and your authority, and you’ll know you have that from him when you feel him relax. Do this without talking, and without aggression, without anger. Calm and Assertive.

Do this EVERY TIME he growls as you about anything, EVERY TIME he takes an aggressive actions towards you in anyway – yes even over ‘his’ toys or food. It won't take long before he realizes you mean business and stops his bad behaviour. This works, and works quickly.

Then, when he’s calm and submissive – doing what you what him to do, how you want him to do it - that’s when you praise him and pet him. Not before – and certainly not when he’s being aggressive, that only serves to tell him that his aggressive actions are okay.

Also, if you see him beginning to go into his aggressive actions – “TSSSK!” him – or use “NO” or “STOP” – any thing that will quickly bring his attention back to you and your authority; which stops him in his tacks – and breaks any automatic responses he’s currently operating on. Do this each time he begins to do things you don’t’ want – like head to you underwear to get it “TSSSK” … and if that doesn’t work – he refuses to stop; get him by the scruff of the neck again and put him firmly back on the floor in a submissive position.

It’s the position (not words) that tells the dog what’s expected of him – and all dogs want to please; want to do what’s expected. In addition all dogs will submit to the strongest leader and that’s why you have to step it up and become the pack leader in your own home.

Dogs are not people, and they don’t understand human language, nor do they think with human emotions – they are dogs, and think, react and understand as dogs. So you have to learn and understand dog language and respond to Nikko with dog actions.

It helps to remember he is not Nikko, pet, dog –– he is

DOG,
Pet (part of the pack),
Nikko.

In that order. ALWAYS a dog first, and then a pet and then Nikko.

And dogs need three things:

Discipline
Exercise
And Affection

Again – always in that order. Affection affirms behaviour, if you are giving affection when he’s behaving badly – it affirms the bad behaviour. Unlike humans, dog are “in the moment” “in the now time” always; they don’t live in the past or hold grudges – and that’s why you can correct a dog at any age, at any time and have success. And exercise helps because a tired dog is a naturally happy and submissive dog. It gets all that other energy (nervous/anxious/aggressive) out of them for the happy submissive energy to come & stay.

So you explain the facts of life to him in his language and you end up with a good relationship and if you don’t … he will continue to do exactly what he is doing, and it will only get worse & worse.

A “Pack Leader” NEVER allows a follower pack member to growl at them in anyway – if they are not submissive – they immediately turn on them and makes them submit. Pack leaders eat first, eat what they want – including taking the food right out of a fellow pack leaders mouth is they so choose; they sit-stand-sleep what they want, when they want it – and keep what is theirs as theirs (such as your underwear) and don’t let any other member have it.

And dogs respect this because they understand this … because it’s a normal part of a healthy dog’s environment and behaviour! So you are not hurting them – instead you are respecting them as they are. When you do this; you are giving them discipline and dogs need discipline, respond well to discipline.

Remember the 3 3’s:

CALM ASSERTIVE ENERGY
DISCIPLINE, EXERCISE, AFFECTION
DOG, PET, NIKKO

It works and is safe for the dog and you.

And watch/read/check out the Dog Whisperer … seriously! It will help.

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » January 13th, 2007, 9:04 pm

Gawd!! Thank you Deb -- couldn't have said it better myself! Any of it!! :D

I am here, ST, just not able to spend a lot of time on the internet anymore because my job is running my life.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 16th, 2007, 5:13 pm

Last edited by stilltrucking on January 26th, 2007, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » January 17th, 2007, 12:07 am

They get it, stilltrucking. They know it's give and take. Sounds like you've built the foundations of a relationship here. Just need to keep working on it. You will probably do more for him in 6 months as far as relationship-building, than his former owner did in 6 years. Animals need to be understood, not indulged ....

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 18th, 2007, 1:11 pm

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » January 19th, 2007, 1:47 am

Well, I am a little old-fashioned when it comes to doggies and no doubt Deb will correct me, but my knee-jerk response to your biting problem--

when he bites you, tries to bite you, or threatens to bite you, hit him a good loud one (it doesn't hurt, just freaks them out) with a rolled-up newspaper. And shout, yell or speak, in your most terrifying voice: "No!" like you mean business and he's TOAST if he tries it. Then walk away in total disgust.

There is no need to THROW him. You'll hurt him -- he's OLD -- and you'll bewilder him too. He needs to stay at the scene of his crimes to learn this cause and effect relationship: snap at stilltrucking -- means get whacked with a newspaper, yelled at and left alone.

Dogs are SO damn smart! All they need is consistent behavior and they learn within days or weeks what to do to counteract it.

My ex was/is TERRIBLE with dogs, although he loves them. One of our dogs would do something to annoy him, and he'd launch off into a complex string of scolding in Malayalam: "Hai! -------------!!!"

"Mohan, use ONE word or phrase loudly. Use it the same way EVERY time. The dog will get it!"

"Oh, he knows exactly what I am telling him!"

And the dog would sit there, studying him while this strange-language scolding was occuring, looking occasionally to me for help, guidance, sympathy. It was comical, because no change in behavior ever resulted from the multi-syllabic remonstrances. I have a feeling the poor dog just had an overwhelming urge to pee ....

But I had good results with our boston Great Dane, Duchess, with a bowl of food and two single words: "sit" and "stay" Stay was terrible torture for her.

This dog had been found roaming around Downey -- an unimaginable place for a 140 lb dog to be. Nobody has any IDEA how much food equals a meal for a dog that size, unless they've owned one before, so even kind strangers could not fill her belly. The end of a hot dog doesn't do it. Even two whole hot dogs (if anyone actually did that) would have been an appetizer. So, she was starving, and when she started getting REAL MEALS in the Pound and with my ex and I, she went APESHIT. She did the whole berzerk Snoopy dance, with a 140 lb dog frame, every time she got fed.

Well, it was obviously a training opportunity. So I showed her how to put her butt down into the "sit" position. She didn't get fed until her ass was on the concrete. Then, she didn't get fed until she put it there herself when she heard the word "sit." Then we worked "stay" into the equation. That was comical. She'd sit there with huge strings of drool making a wet puddle on the concrete three feet below her jowls until I said, "Good girl!"

Unfortunately, she never learned to heel, and she never learned "down/stay." My fault on the down/stay. I could have taught her but I didn't. As for heel , that would take a whole other post. She was WILD and she was STRONG, and she DUG her walks SO much that she nearly killed herself with them. Long story.

Anyways, you can teach a little dog dumb stuff, like not to bite you (duh!) pretty easily with consistent behavior. Just keep doing it. It won't take more than two weeks, tops, for him to catch on.

I don't know why people pamper little dogs SO much! They treat them like babies or imbeciles. People who own little dogs assume they can't learn jack shit, and that makes it a lot harder for people like you, who don't want to get punctured. Sure, a small dog CAN learn to piss and shit OUTSIDE. A small dog CAN learn NOT to bite and NOT to bark like a M/F every time the damn doorbell rings! You can even teach them that people are OK and a normal part of life. They don't have to shiver and shake and pee on their tiny beds every time a stranger approaches. The smart small dog owners take them EVERYWHERE -- to the supermarket and for walks and any old place they go. That eliminates fear and all the accompanying nastiness.

I have a moral issue with the concept of SMALL dogs. Nature intended dogs to be a lot bigger --about the size of a wolf or hyena, give or take. Dogs that are the size of a cat are going to have some issues to work through, so I am against the whole idea. But since we have small dogs, already, thanks to about 1000 years of overbreeding, we owe it to them to bring them up to big dog standards. They will be happier and so will we.

Look at the Papillon -- a more typical small dog you could never see -- but most Papillons are smart, responsive and relatively calm. I think all small dogs can be like that if they have the training and attention they need. It's all in how we view their potential and how we respond to behavior outside of it. Don't ASSUME that being snappy and barky and obnoxious is normal behavior for your little guy, and he will live up to your expectations.

My uncle was just telling me how his collie bluffed needing to go potty so she could go rabbit-hunting in an ice storm .... the next time she tried it, he refused to let her out, and she did her audible "grumble" of annoyance and resumed her position at the foot of the bed, where she cuts off ankle circulation for my relatives. SMART. Dogs are damn SMART. Small dogs know exactly what they are doing, who they are manipulating with their intimidating actions, and why.

Show him that you are in charge, and keep showing it, every time he tries to bite you, and I think you will have some dramatic success.

Return to “Cathouse”