Post by Cenacle » June 5th, 2023, 8:49 pm

Below is official announcement:

News from Scriptor Press | #100 | June 5, 2023

*In this issue*

The Cenacle | 122 | April 2023 | 28th Anniversary Issue
www.scriptorpress.com/cenacle/122
(Size = 7.6 MB)

Hello everyone,

Here comes the just-released Cenacle | 122 | April 2023! 28th Anniversary Issue! Wow. So happy this one is out now!

This issue features new poetry by Tamara Miles, Martina Reisz Newberry, Judih Weinstein Haggai, Colin James, Sam Knot, Jimmy Heffernan, Victor Vanek (RIP) & myself.

Also new fiction by Timothy Vilgiate, Algernon Beagle, & myself. And classic fiction from The Arabian Nights.

And new prose pieces by Gregory Kelly, Nathan D. Horowitz, Charlie Beyer, & myself.

There is also new graphic artwork by Kassandra Soulard, Sam Knot, Tamara Miles, Nathan D. Horowitz, Judih Weinstein Haggai, Epi Rogan, & Louis Staeble.

Contents of this new issue include:

From Soulard’s Notebooks: [Excerpt]

That said, it's not over. Make no mistake. Like a war in its later stages, where victory looks ever more likely for one side, damage & death will still occur.

Feedback on Cenacle 121: [Excerpt]

I want to eat Judith Weinstein Haggai’s luscious haiku poems with sweetened cream and blackberries. She is so talented and I continue to want to grow up to be her. (Martina Reisz Newberry)

From the ElectroLounge Forums:
Turns in the Road?
[Excerpt]

Walking barefoot in the dark in the jungle, carrying a puppy, I went straight when the trail turned. I stepped onto a fallen palm frond, and three slender spines pierced the sole of my right foot and broke off. I grunted, sat down hard, and realized I was lost. Figuring out what had happened, night birds mimicked the sounds of human laughter. (Nathan D. Horowitz)

Notes from New England:
Dream Raps, Volume Twelve
by Raymond Soulard, Jr.: [Excerpt]

My name isn’t, really, Raymond, but that’s the name I use when I’m talking to other Scholars in this Manse. You see, I’m not really so very sure about the Manse. I mean, there’s a lot going on here. And yet, somehow, when I arrived, with credentials that were reasonably true, I gave them the name Raymond, & they went with it.

Poetry by Judih Weinstein Haggai: [Excerpt]

with apologies
the haiku wrote itself
and floated away

The Brain Claim [Prose] by Charlie Beyer: [Excerpt]

The sun glittered off the tiny piles of gold. Two-thirds of an ounce of gold dust was divided, Flake by Flake, and dreams of a grand cash-out were dashed on the rocks of reality. Each of our “pokes” is about $700 worth, after a month of diving in a deadly underwater cave.

Poetry by Sam Knot: [Excerpt]

There is a teardrop pool
just this side of where
The Bridge of Green Twist’s
twin feet come to rest

Dierdre and Shushufindi by Nathan D. Horowitz [Travel Journal]: [Excerpt]

I was just remembering Deirdre, my girlfriend who didn’t think I should study magic. The color gray will always remind me of her soft sweaters, her milky skin, her thin, pale lips, her large, clear blue eyes. The British accent she affected with her voice that energized and challenged me. Her soft way of curling in on me like a fern or a Fibonacci spiral as we embraced.

The Elementals by Victor Vanek [Prose-Poetry]: [Excerpt]

Thirteen pairs of leaves were to be picked. It didn’t matter what herb they came from as long as the leaves were diametrically opposed. The leaves were to mate with each other, face to face, in just the way that they were born.

Many Musics (Poetry) by Raymond Soulard, Jr.: [Excerpt]

When I told you my King, ever my King,
finally told you that I would not be returning
to the Island of the Tangled Gate with you,
the light left your eyes, like flame become brick.

Writer's Notebook by Gregory Kelly [Excerpt]

and. you know. i have one handmade journal from Finland. 1915. besides the simple notation of the date. the address. it made its way ‘cross th’Atlantic without a word penned as if all the words were a future away.

Poetry by Tamara Miles: [Excerpt]

At Outpost Winona, spikes
from Lake City become art
of the random, of the rural.

Rivers of the Mind (A Novel) by Timothy Vilgiate: [Excerpt]

Computers intimidated the beshroomed side of my brain. Hunched over her keyboard, Dr. Whitebalm rapidly tapped the bottom row of keys to wake up a set of three monitors. Frantically, she typed in a long and complex string of twenty-seven characters, and opened an application displaying security camera footage from around the base.

Poetry by Jimmy Heffernan: [Excerpt]

Screaming across the firmament
Only ever transforming
We drop the past
And greet the future
Continually

Bags End Book #21: What is the Creature Carnival? by Algernon Beagle: [Excerpt]

I guess you could say this story begins with an invitation. I was dozing in mah comfy armchair on Milne’s Porch one perfectly ordinary day, after a long grueling day at Bags End School. Learning can be like running a country mile sometimes.

Poetry by Colin James: [Excerpt]

Indigenous moss still provides atmospherics,
but be on the lookout for penal work-farm escapees.

The Story of Sindbad the Sailor from The Arabian Nights (Classic Fiction): [Excerpt]

We sailed from place to place, and from city to city, selling and buying, seeing the sights of the different countries, and enjoying our voyage and our good luck and profit. We continued in this way until one day the captain suddenly cried out, screaming, threw down his turban, slapped his face, plucked his beard, and fell down in the hold of the ship, in extreme anguish and grief.

Poetry by Martina Reisz Newberry: [Excerpt]

You can’t say there aren’t dangers here. 
There are hints of evil down all the alleys,
and there are dangerous men walking 
the sidewalks and the aisles of supermarkets 
at all times of day or night. 

Labyrinthine by Raymond Soulard, Jr.: [Excerpt]

I feel this Great Grand Braided Narrative [Gr.Gr.Br.N. for friendly] getting toward its conclusion, at least conclusion of a kind, & this is fascinating to see play out, see each disparate narrative begin to twine with one then more of the others, & wonder those remaining to twine, & what it will all mean then, stray ideas always, but what can it all be that matters?

Respond with your feedback here — or by email at editor@scriptorpress.com

Peace,
Raymond

Return to “Cenacle's Announcements”