he sees his father’s face, a pig’s head,
confessing like Thomas what he can’t
believe, not even after probing
his own baffling wounds

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: I Do

Post by Doreen Peri » December 10th, 2014, 2:21 am

I don't! ... Your poem gave me the shivers. I hate thoughts of men abusing their wives. Thanks for sharing the portrait. I hope whoever he is gets locked away for the rest of his life. "His own baffling wounds"? This is a portrait of a coward who deserves to be wounded and if he carries scars within himself, he deserves the punishment.

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » December 10th, 2014, 6:36 am

i think more men should speak like this-that for men to express themselves does not mean i being an advocate i have never seen the 'shame' the way you painted it here- and the creaking mother s voice- the fathers face, the pig- images of gluttonous-
you should paint- look up chagall- your images float in the skies and they provoke those of us that have been on many sides of dysfunctional- put the fun back in dys-fun-ctional-
the problem with snapping like that is that it takes so much from the person that is being pummeled with the mother and father s movie-
ask me if i love the man that beat me. yes i do
ask me if i could ever be who or what he wanted?it took four years for me to heal- but being real is what i wanted-and i got that- even if i had ti get real with myself- what i thought about all these things - for so long- and what i think now-
i light candles in honor of the love that can withstand the forces of fire and passionate expression...the one that gets the fist- has to take time out from her DIRECTION to heal-so she can aim that arrow- and let it fly-
those dreams that maybe didnt come true- can still come thru- the maze- the labbryth= maybe the dreams come true- in a different knight- :mrgreen:
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

theirishsea

Post by theirishsea » December 11th, 2014, 10:36 am

I see this as a psychological portrait of a violent, maybe confused guy not believing his own actions.
The issue of domestic violence is one thing. The poem takes you into the self-realization of a violent guy

he sees his father’s face, a pig’s head,

this poem is written so well. You should be able to get this into one of the many literary magazines. Damn good expressive poem.
The Irish Sea Is Always In Turmoil, Even When Calm.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 11th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Sorry for my emotional reply. The poem is well written and it must have hit me hard. (sic) I'm sure some abusers actually feel remorse. Many, however, have sociopathic characteristic traits and may feign remorse for their actions, but they really have no sympathy for their victims. For those who DO have remorse, it continues to be debatable about whether they can be rehabilitated. The recidivism rates tell an accurate accounting.

All that said, I'm a huge fan of the show Criminal Minds (an addiction of mine). I like the way the show explores the minds of criminals who commit brutal crimes and I'm open to learning.

It seems abuse is carried through generations, unfortunately. The abuser was usually abused as a child and has never recovered. I like to study these types of things. Your poem knocked me out!

68degrees

Post by 68degrees » December 11th, 2014, 7:28 pm

It's encouraging this poem has touched a few nerves. Tells me it's working on a certain level.

Irish: I may send this off. It's not there yet, but it's close. Thanks for the nod. If I hear something back, I will report back about the poem.

Doreen: No need to qualify your "emotional reply." As I said above, it's a positive thing for me.

Creativesoul: ("…more men should speak like this…") I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for ALL the comments.

68degrees

Return to “Poetry”