Please Comment on the Works of Others

Post your poetry, any style.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Please Comment on the Works of Others

Post by Doreen Peri » September 12th, 2009, 8:39 pm

When posting a piece to this forum, please take the time to post comments to other people's pieces as well as your own. There's no hard and fast rule here..... just saying..... it would be nice if you replied to 2 for every one you post.

Just a good idea is all....

so those who are posting know their posts are being read (not just from views but also comments).

It might be nice to look through, occasionally, and find the posts which have zero replies and acknowledge them. Thanks for taking the time to reciprocate and communicate.
Last edited by Doreen Peri on February 17th, 2010, 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

keithalanhamilton

Post by keithalanhamilton » September 13th, 2009, 11:46 am

Admittedly I'm bad at this and I'll try to do better. :idea:

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 16th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Thanks, Keith.....

And thanks to everybody else here, too....

Maybe I shouldn't be so concerned about it. People post how they post. Some just want to post their poems and really aren't as much into reading and replying to others as other people are.

But I guess I think of Studio Eight as a community and to me, community means sharing... give and take.

Again, this is not a hard and fast rule and I really don't even enjoy going to sites that HAVE the rule that you have to post replies to 2 or 3 for every post you make. Seems so superficial and stifled.

I just really like the concept of community and give and take, while I understand everybody has time limitations.

Thanks again, friends.

mudshark

Post by mudshark » October 28th, 2009, 6:59 pm

im an enfant terrible. but this is a good idea.
and i guess i can do better. starting now.

HaroHalola

Post by HaroHalola » November 20th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Dori - Not simply a "good" idea, but a capital one, of which I am both cognizant & culpable; I have no truck with those whom Read my Work without manifesting response (though yesterday I happened upon my Piece ["Aquarium Age"] on "another network" which prompted a chuckle - 238 views/2 replies, & too-frequently, none! I have my theories re: this, but no matter). Though I do not "flood" the boards with my Work, I am concerted about responding in a timely manner, to those graciously, or occasionally otherwise, crit. (on the other networks - lol); was for a time (again on "other" networks) dispersing the "unwritten obligation" toward contributing to others' offerings (actually, my style of Crit. used to garner an unbalanced amount of heat); I will endeavor to increase the former/attenuate the latter - H'H./H.e.m.
LIFE IS NOT MEASURED IN CONVERSATIONS UNSPOKEN

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 19th, 2010, 7:23 am

Some people just post their own works and reply only to the comments following their own works. Some never, or rarely anyway, reply to the works others have posted. I know people have limited time and some people post differently than others but seems to me that it's a give and take thing.... I'm into the community of it, not just people focusing on their own writings. Just my opinion.

Anyway, thanks all!

WIREMAN

Re: Commenting on the work of others - A good idea - please

Post by WIREMAN » August 28th, 2010, 10:42 am

yes yes yes to all the above....i find it fun to read thru poems on sites and just comment, especially when u don't have a poem to post....even in the library where they limit yer time on the puter....
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

RonPrice

Post by RonPrice » October 2nd, 2010, 1:50 am

Not An Australian Artist, But.....it is the work of others. It's a relevant prose-poem which I just wrote on a cold Tasmanian afternoon for this poetry section. My post is a little long and outside the convention of short posts as is the custom at most internet sites and I trust moderators here will overlook this aspect of my post. Readers are advised to just skim or scan this piece if it looks a little too long for their literary and internet sensibilities--or just don't read it---something I often have done for the last 60 years!--Ron Price, Tasmania
----------------------------------
ANDREW WYETH
The Transmission of Emotion

"Groundhog Day" is an Andrew Wyeth(1917-2009) painting from 1959. He was, we are told by contemporary art historians, at the height of his powers back then. The year 1959 was, for me, a memorable one. I joined the Baha’i Faith that year. I was 15--more than 50 years ago. In the foreground of the Groundhog Day painting by Wyeth is a table set with a white plate, cup and saucer and knife on a flat table. Wintry light spills through a window just behind, and through the window you see brown grass, a barbed-wire fence and a huge log with a jagged end and a chain wrapped around it. A remarkable orchestration of light, space and texture, it is also richly symbolic: outside there is violence and death; inside a sacramental order and the light of an austere divinity. The window, a recurrent motif in Wyeth, both connects and separates the realms of inner culture and outer wildness. I like Wyeth’s work.

One reason Mr. Wyeth's work may remain popular despite its often foreboding astringency is that it is always elegantly stylish. Groundhog Day would make a fine illustration for a magazine advertisement. Insert a model in rugged clothes, and you would have a good ad. People in Wyeth’s portraits, to which a room in a recent exhibition was devoted, look like fashion models: handsome but opaque and, though painted with much detail, somehow unreal.

Mr. Wyeth was preoccupied with death all his painting life. I have also been preoccupied with death as a result of my bipolar disorder. My preoccupation was of a different intensity, extent and time frame. Wyeth’s preoccupation with mortality and the end of life began in his early adulthood. Mine was episodic associated with the depressive end of manic-depression. A picture painted by Wyeth in 1942 depicts a dead crow among weeds and grasses painted with an extreme lucidity. A painting from 1982 showing a bearded man lying in profile in a white-planked dory at sea was one of a number of portraits of dying friends in the exhibition. But the scary and ugly facts of death are erased in Mr. Wyeth's pictures in favour of a mournful and melancholy poetic beauty.

Wyeth was obsessed for decades with painting. My obsession with writing slowly and insensibly developed in young and middle adulthood, 1964-2004. -Ron Price with thanks to Ken Johnson, “‘Andrew Wyeth: Memory and Magic' at the Philadelphia Museum of Art,” (January 29, 2009 - May 3, 2009), The New York Times, 18 April 2006.

You gave us a vision of rustic life with
bleakness offset by an attractive design.
You created imaginary places where we
could experience an authentic, elemental
and meaningful simplicity that is hard to
find in ordinary life. Nowhere was there
a sense of community or politics, though,(1)
as there almost always was in the art of that
other immensely popular American painter,
Norman Rockwell. Your work generated a
melancholy and otherworldly mood….......

You constructed airlessly tasteful and very
imaginatively closed-up worlds, like inside
of a house kept so neat & tidy, & suggesting
nobody lived there. Your romantic isolationism
kept the world at bay as does my need-passion
to write, to endlessly write until life’s endtime
and to transmit my emotion into more words.

(1) Richard Meryman in his biography Andrew Wyeth: A Secret Life(Harper Collins, 1997) described this distinguished painter's enterprise of transmitting emotion onto a flat surface. The book is a portrait of obsession, of how single-mindedness affected Wyeth's relationships and transformed his world into a realm of secrecy and fervid imagination. The book also tells of Wyeth’s formidable wife.

(2) “No other contemporary artist was so closely identified with the American nation's vision of its rural soul. Wyeth's paintings were exhibited in the first one-man show ever held in the White House in 1970. –Telegraph.co.uk, 18 Jan 2009.”

He made his solo debut at the Philadelphia Art Alliance in 1936, at the age of eighteen, and was launched on the national scene the following year with a sold-out exhibition at the Macbeth Gallery in New York. It was the year of the launching of the first Baha’i teaching Plan. “All I want to do is paint,” said Wyeth, “and I paint the things I know best.” Andrew Wyeth--See In Memoriam, 16 January 2009, Philadelphia Museum of Art.

Ron Price
Last edited by RonPrice on June 23rd, 2012, 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
married for 46 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 14 and a Baha'i for 54(as of 2013)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 2nd, 2010, 7:23 pm

Thanks for sharing that, Ron.

What I meant was that it's a good idea to comment on the works others post on Studio8. To have an interactive community, it's a give-and-take thing so when people comment on other's posted works on the site, more people will read and comment on your works. And so on....

Some people post and only reply to those who have posted replies to them. They don't reply to the works of others. Others don't even reply to the replies on their own posts. I know people have limited time and that's understandable sometimes, but I call that a "drive-by hit-and-run on the internet superhighway". Just my opinion that I don't think it's a give-and-take way to post. It's not a set-in-stone rule or anything. You can post any way you like. But commenting on the works of others is a good idea for the community.

So... when people have the time, I encourage them to reply to the posted works of other members of the site.

I am a community builder. I like to see everyone's work get read and get replies, comments, feedback and interaction.

Thanks for listening and for your contributions to the site. Nice to have you here.

RonPrice

Post by RonPrice » October 2nd, 2010, 8:10 pm

thanks, Doreen Peri. I understand what you are saying completely. I have been posting at poetry sites for years---and try to get my feedback in to the work of others as often as possible given the contraints of time, health and other commitments. I wish you well, you and all moderators and administrators, in making this site more of the success that it already is in the years ahead.-Ron in Tasmania
married for 46 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 14 and a Baha'i for 54(as of 2013)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 2nd, 2010, 8:15 pm

Thank you, Ron! We all have time restraints. I understand completely. I also have them and don't reply as much to others as I would like to. This is just a general message for the group, not to anyone in particular, and the message is also to myself because I'm part of the group.

We appreciate the well wishes and wish you well, also. I'm glad you came back to join us and participate. Welcome!

RonPrice

Post by RonPrice » October 2nd, 2010, 9:14 pm

Best wishes to you and thanks, Doreen---from Tasmania Australia.-Ron Price, George Town(Australia's oldest town on the world's oldest continent--so I am told)

Lao C Ryter

Post by Lao C Ryter » November 30th, 2010, 6:59 pm

What a wonderful post Doreen. Very solid advice.
if words could mend the holes in my quilt
night would be lost for my shiver.

-FIN

edsiejka

Post by edsiejka » December 11th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Not only is your advice about commenting on fellow poets well taken but it also
provides a writer with encouragement and the spirit to continue.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » February 21st, 2011, 3:22 pm

edsiejka, I second that emotion. I try to comment on others work.
Wish others would do so more often. Thanks, Doreen, for the studio eight re-vamp & encouragement! :)

Return to “Poetry”