Please Comment on the Works of Others

Post your poetry, any style.
Kailashana

Re: Commenting on the work of others

Post by Kailashana » August 4th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Indeed!

OMG, it's like a homecoming, H. H. is here, Wireman, Ron Price...!

~A

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 4th, 2011, 5:06 pm

You know Wireman? Wow! Cool! Wireman and I do spoken word poetry shows together quite often. And you know others, too? How cool is that! Welcome home. :)

Kailashana

Post by Kailashana » August 4th, 2011, 6:12 pm

The Old Poetry Chaikhana forum...HH from Neopoet, and happy to meet and get re/acquainted with everyone.

I listened to your 8 key piano improv & the Ginsberg memorial. Wow! What an afternoon! Thank you!

~A

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 4th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Oh cool... well thank YOU! :) Great to have you here! Small world.

dave eberhardt

Post by dave eberhardt » February 10th, 2012, 5:55 pm

fine well and good- BUT- how critical do folx want to get?
i tend to comment if i like something in the sense of you get more flies w honey than w vinegar-
for my work- i don't care what people say- if i screwed up i want to hear abt it
but it is my experience that if i am honest abt other folx work- they get offended
they don't seem to realize it is only my point of view- i cld b wrong!
but after ruffly 50 yrs in the biz- i have something to say- i don't have more than 30 yrs left and i'll b damned if i am going to b dishonest at this point abt something i care abt
i can say in advance- too many poems i see are prose- just becuase u arrange something like wm carlos wms? does not make it poetry
that ot to get things started
if people want to hear criticism fr me than can let me know at mozela9@comcast.net-
i can b brutal

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 10th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Dave.. if you want to offer critique, that's fine. This isn't a critique site, per se, but still, some people critique sometimes. When a writer or artist puts his or her material in public, they should expect that.

A lot of people here write spontaneously... many of us are big fans of the beat era... and some aren't looking for critique, but still, hey, it's up to the writer/artist whether they want to take into consideration your suggestions for improvement.

On another site I go to, there's a critic who's downright mean! He's just a troll, if you ask me, constantly putting people down... I don't like that, personally! Actually, I haven't been there for months, but I used to frequent the place. I think critique can be done respectfully, instead. If you want to, go ahead. I KNOW you and I know you'll be respectful and not put the person down but discuss the piece of writing.

It's up to you how you want to reply.

We only have one rule here.. and that's respect. Pretty simple. In all your years on this planet, I know you know how to be respectful, so just reply how you want and enjoy yourself!

dave eberhardt

Post by dave eberhardt » February 11th, 2012, 9:39 am

I wish sites would b more critiqui- Keith's site is innumerable hearts and kisses- like a bunch of vanity back slappers- then too i am old school-i like rhythm, meter- in short- music- and rich imagery- like Crane, Dickinson, Stevens- but a poet like Gary Snyder does the beat trick well- as of course Pound and Wms. Then too, Wms and Pound did not seem to have much to say:
I can identify w the surrealist poet H E Mantel

so much depends upon/ the red wheelbarrow/glazed w chickens

very little humor in poetry....very little politics (i realize it's a right wing country).

Going ad hominem, being mean- no of course not- but skating on the surface- never being coarse or rough or real- ughgalee.

dave eberhardt

Post by dave eberhardt » February 11th, 2012, 9:43 am

what's the diff between a post a reply and quick reply?

I hate to see sites descend to the level of the rest of the country- which brite sides everything, slap happy boosterism- like new anchors....a simon cowell becomes refreshing.

orphans are picking over dumps in rio and calcutta today

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 11th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Click Post Reply and Quick Reply to see the difference. There's really little difference. Quick Reply adds a comment box to the bottom of the thread but the comment box doesn't have all the formatting tools the Post Reply has. You'll see. It's hard to describe. There's little difference. Both ways you can post a reply.

This site hasn't descended into any lousy level of non-value.

On the contrary. This site is rich ... very rich... with creative, unique content and in-depth discussions.

Post whatever you want.

dave eberhardt

Post by dave eberhardt » February 11th, 2012, 4:45 pm

to mr ron price above- (will he see this? how do i post rte nxt to his post?

i love wyeth's photo realism- check out (google image)another phenomenal such maine artist- thomas crotty

by the way- what they have done with the christina olson house makes it an iconic wyeth location (managed by the farnsworth museum rockland, maine)

Michael

Post by Michael » June 22nd, 2012, 12:56 pm

In comparison to me, the rest of you are prolific in commenting on the writing of others. I appear narcissistic, selfish and any other synonym for narcissistic of which anyone can think. I received a “Studio 8 is missing you” email, which brings me back, yet, again, already. I owe it do Doreen to make an attempt to visit this fine place - finer since the upgrade. I will attempt to comment on the writings of others and I will post some of my own stuff as well.

I do have a question, however. I read a couple of poems and I noticed that the comments are, themselves, poetry. I don’t mean “poetry to the ear” or “poetry to the eye”. When commenting on the poetry of others, I notice that the comments are what I would call “poems”. Why’s that?

To friendship,
Michael

Also, as I previewed this response, I found that it was centered. How to I make it so that what I type isn't centered. I don't see any code in my comment that would automatically center my comment.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » June 22nd, 2012, 1:00 pm

Hi Michael,
Many of come from the tradition of "Litkicks" where we frequented a board called Action Poetry - responses were meant to be jammed from the original.
It's a going with the vibe kind of response. Personally, if someone responds with a poem, i adore it!

Michael

Post by Michael » June 22nd, 2012, 3:26 pm

I'm truly not complaining, j. I just wondered, if I comment without "jamming", would the author be insulted or whatever. I'm just sayin', you know?

To friendship,
Michael

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » June 22nd, 2012, 11:53 pm

Michael wrote:I'm truly not complaining, j. I just wondered, if I comment without "jamming", would the author be insulted or whatever. I'm just sayin', you know?

To friendship,
Michael
reasonable question and i can only say that it depends on the writer. If you check out dadio, for example - he posts vignettes, life sketches, often with attached photos and he's very prolific. when he comments on others, he simply comments (no poem). His response to comments on his work is always appreciative. So, dadio, in my opinion, is open to responses of all sorts.

Look and see. No one really expects deeply studied critiques, but if you felt the muse, you could ask first. No one offers feedback like you - a poet would be lucky to get it!

great to see you back

RonPrice

Post by RonPrice » June 23rd, 2012, 12:51 am

I post at literally dozens of internet sites that are concerned with writing. This site is, from my point of view, one of the best in relation to commenting on the work of others and getting feedback. I have been posting in cyberspace extensively for more than a decade. Due to the poor quality of some of the feedback at some of the sites, I wrote the following essay which I submit for readers here on this thread, FYI, as they say. The post is somewhat long, so skim and scan it, if it is not high on your interest inventory.-Ron Price, Tasmania :arrow:
-------------------------
INTERNET SITES: AN OVERVIEW

Internet communities are like micronations. Some are not governed at all; a sort of literary chaos reigns. The posts and images at these sites represent the worst features of contemporary literary society: loud, crass, illiterate and completely devoid of what you might call an etiquette of expression. Others are governed by tyrannical rule. This tyranny often leads to a whimsical enforcement of arbitrary rules and law. Personally and emotionally induced muscle flexing operates at such sites in the hands of moderators, administrators and site entrepreneurs. Still other site organizers try to hit a middle ground between these two extremes.

I find, as a retired teacher, that the various modus operandi and modus vivendi at internet sites are very much like the different philosophies and styles that I used to see teachers using to cope with the increasing number of difficult students filling our modern society. Some teachers resort to the iron rod of verbal and assorted disciplinary forms available to them. Some of these teachers have success and others do not. Other teachers are too permissive and get walked all over by their charges. These authoritarian and democratic styles are also found at websites.

There is usually no way to know just how oppressive system operators are at internet sites as all access to the records of their decisions are hidden from public view. But a short stay at one of these authoritarian regimes will give the novice, the new comer, a quick feel of the atmosphere and usually a quick response from one of the interpreters of the rules. For these rules and guidelines are like some biblical text with literalist interpretations rampant. The more permissive sites are just the opposite and you are just as likely to be told in no uncertain terms where to get off with lots of “F” words, slang and a vocabulary that you will not find in any good dictionary.

These site interpreters, moderators and administrators, like teachers, have a difficult job in our modern society. Traditional standards of excellence and agreed on definitions of the literary and grammatical canon on just about anything are all up for grabs, so to speak. Like the hundreds of teachers I knew in the half century(1949-1999)when I was a student and a teacher, these standard setters at internet sites have a tough job. It is not surprising that at many sites there are no standards at all.

The purpose of a nation or a community—or a website—is to support progress and interaction, to provide information and integrate ideas and actions into some harmonious and philosophical whole. This is a tough ask a goal that is difficult to achieve. To pick and choose posts, to accept some and deny others based on some fixed criteria, tests and patience of Job and the wisdom of Solomon—and there are few of these old wise men around these days. If people only follow strict traditions and the community banishes someone at the slightest hint of a heretic, does it not undermine it's own purpose for being, as if a man were to decide feet are bad because they are not like the hands, and cut them off. Societies exist to encourage progress as well as to maintain stability. It is a difficult balance to strike.

If those in charge find a routine, a rule, that works, they do their best to stick to it. This is often called tradition, law, schedule, taboo. It is all about keeping the boat steady. Risk-taking is often difficult. Society’s systems and the systems at websites are not easy to keep running with some order and form. The places require effort and time on the part of those who have accepted the responsibilities for running the show. Storms and radical thinkers may throw them off course; they will resist with all their might, never giving up until the vessel has been overturned and they are forced to start anew. Change in this paradigm is bad and even if you tell the crew, "Look, we are headed for a cliff, we will crash to our death, if you don’t alter course!"--it will not change their steadfast position.

They do not care about where they are going; they assume all is okay even if their ship is old and falling apart. Some fall apart from too many rules and others from too few; some from not enough money and others from not having people to do the jobs required to keep the sites in operation. Repetitive tasks are required to keep things going as they have been and often nothing will awaken the administrators except the ice-cold water as their ship sinks to the dark depths of the ocean floor. The iron cake of custom and tradition is difficult to alter. In our world of crises and the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune—you can’t really blame these internet site arbiters.-Ron Price, Tasmania.

------------------------------
married for 46 years, a teacher for 35, a writer and editor for 14 and a Baha'i for 54(as of 2013)

Return to “Poetry”