Please Comment on the Works of Others

Post your poetry, any style.
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Re: Please Comment on the Works of Others

Post by Doreen Peri » November 24th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Yeah, that would be good, too... commenting on the comments.

Honestly, after spending so many years on the internet and watching how this works, I made a promise to myself. I stop reading all writers who don't take the time to comment on other people's works. I find it selfish so I refuse to read their work. I DO give them a chance. I reply to them a couple of times and if I don't get a reply back to my comment to even thank me for reading their work, I simply stop reading it.

Some sites make it a rule to reply to three pieces before posting a piece. We suggest that here, but it's not a hard and fast rule, because frankly, I don't have time to enforce it.

Common sense is important in communities. If people want to post their own works without participating in the community, they should have a blog, not post on sites like this.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » November 24th, 2015, 8:04 pm

you are so right Doreen, i feel the same way....interaction rules, without it there ceases to be community....
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » November 24th, 2015, 8:12 pm

i feel those who need to read this thread would never take the time to read this.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 25th, 2015, 12:26 am

WIREMAN wrote:i feel those who need to read this thread would never take the time to read this.
Truth. Thanks, Mark. Love ya! Miss you. Let's make some music and recite some poetry some time.

Hey, yanno? I like a populated site with members coming in but seriously, if they don't interact, they need a blog, not to be here.

And I also like IN PERSON stuff. I miss our poetry & music events. Let's make something happen.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » November 25th, 2015, 7:21 pm

Hi Doreen.....i will put something together, a "Poetry Show" in the coming spring, i have a venue that i show my art at here just up the street, not a bar/reatauraunt....its a film studio and should be an excellent place to do it 8)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 25th, 2015, 7:31 pm

WIREMAN wrote:Hi Doreen.....i will put something together, a "Poetry Show" in the coming spring, i have a venue that i show my art at here just up the street, not a bar/reatauraunt....its a film studio and should be an excellent place to do it 8)
Cool! Thanks for keeping me posted. I'd like to be there. I'd like to perform. I'd also like to show some art but if neither are possible, that's OK, too, I just want to be there and see you.

THANK YOU, Mark, and Happy Thanksgiving to you! I'm thankful you are my friend.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » November 25th, 2015, 11:26 pm

respond
revive

justwalt
Location: location infers reality... reality is still a theory

Post by justwalt » December 3rd, 2015, 7:53 pm

I was just funnin'
many is a word

dune

Post by dune » January 1st, 2016, 9:27 pm

I won't!

I mean, yes I will.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » January 2nd, 2016, 12:34 am

and so you inspire!
thanks, dune and all

sooZen

Post by sooZen » August 22nd, 2016, 9:54 am

Mom used to tell me..."don't say anything if you can't say anything nice" but she didn't follow that dictum either. It was a "nice" thought but truthfully, most artists, writers, craftspeople have so much of themselves invested in their creations...they really don't want to hear critiques (even constructive ones) unless specifically asked for. And it is o so easy to be misunderstood in the act of "commenting".

I do try and make comments on things I like but that is all subjective. Writers here that have known me for a long time either like my stuff or they don't. Fair enough. I can be brutally honest (at least that is what I am told) but that honesty (of opinion) is just my kindness and respect of what what writers love to do for I am always striving for perfection (even though I know it doesn't exist...) and am an editor at heart.

Sometimes reading poems and stories here is like slogging thru a meadow high with thistles and brambles and I just can't do it. Especially if a writer I like (and comment on) wants to argue, justify or gets defensive about what it is I think would make their stories more 'readable'. I don't mind if anyone critiques or comments on my posts or even ignores them completely. And we all know that life can intrude at any time making it impossible to respond to comments.

This site has been abandoned at times but like an old ghost town there are always a few inhabitants that refuse to let it die. I find that wonderful...that it still exists in this world of fast food, abbreviations, memes and cubicles without windows where no thing grows. Coming here is like a vacation sometimes...a place I feel comfortable with equally wonderful and dedicated artists who call this place home.

I know, I'm rambling on (and on). Maybe it's the definition "discussion site" that places rules on the posters that I find myself wondering about. I see discussion and interplay but I'm a hermit (in the world outside the internet) so maybe not such a good judge of what "community" is. Okay, sorry for the long-winded reply. This just struck a chord with me this morning... and I think it was a reasonable request Doreen but I just wonder if reason is a reason? :lol: (Silly Soo!)
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » August 22nd, 2016, 1:52 pm

it'd be fun (perhaps) to have a place to put a poem or something in order for whoever wanted to, could edit, re-write, change it into something that rings well for them.
We'd get the original piece and then variations written from various viewpoints.
Could make an interesting project.
Every day, someone else could post something if we could find 7 willing to do it.

sooZen

Post by sooZen » August 22nd, 2016, 8:27 pm

judih, Sounds interesting...Most of my editing is strictly punctuation, paragraph breaks, awkward phrasing, stuff like that. I wouldn't be interested in changing the gist or the words of the writer and I think it would take a brave soul to agree to such scrutiny.

But almost all of the so-called great writers had great editors who read every word and made "suggestions" (unless they were haijin or self published, which is rare).

I would be a willing guinea pig for this project... where do I sign? Hah!
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » August 22nd, 2016, 10:41 pm

Let's make it. I'll consult with doreen

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 22nd, 2016, 11:15 pm

SooZ... as long as I'm alive, the site won't die, even if everybody stops posting. haha.

When asking people to comment on other people's works, I wasn't asking them to post critiques. This is definitely not a critique site! People aren't here to work on their writing craft and get feedback to improve their writing. No, they're here to write, to share their hearts, and I would say most of our participants have never really enjoyed critique (getting it or offering it, either way). We just don't do that. We write and often reply to each other with spontaneous writings inspired by the writings of the other person.

We had a "critique" forum here for quite a while. My friend, Brian, was the moderator of it. It got almost NO activity. Nobody cared about it. So, I archived it. It's down there somewhere in the archives.

I'm especially fond of replying to works by saying how the work affected me, what it did to my heart, how it moved me, what it reminded me of, etc. That type of thing. Or replying to a poem with another poem.

Anyway, this site has always had a core group of people who post here. I don't think there's ever been a day go by where there haven't been posts ... since 2004. Every day people post.

But as for yours and Judih's idea about creating a forum where people reply with a new interpretation of the piece of writing (either editing it or writing their own version, if I'm understanding this correctly) ... I think that sounds like it might be fun.

So, sure, let's do it if you'd like. Can you think of a name for the forum? "Post your version of my work" could be a description for the forum.

And if I'm not understanding the concept, let me know.

I have done text editing of other people's writings for many years for my work so to me, editing sounds like I work I want to get paid for. Haha...

But I love getting inspired by other people's creative writing to write something new on the same theme (at least I used to when I used to be a writer.) :)

Anyway, thanks for the idea and you two can roll with it! I'll play!

Return to “Poetry”