Post by mnaz » March 10th, 2018, 2:49 am

Breaking Bad got me
when Walter Mitty broke bad.
But then came the Big Payoff.
Just another goddam cartoon.
Drug lords around every corner,
and Mitty, the sudden born killer.

* click *
Last edited by mnaz on March 10th, 2018, 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

saw

Re: Breaking Bad

Post by saw » March 10th, 2018, 8:58 am

I agree...I resisted watching it at all, but my friends raved about it, so I decided to give it a try

very compelling drama initially that became redundant and somewhat boring....Walking Dead is also headed in that direction.....at some point you can almost imagine the guy stage left giving the universal signal meaning stretch out the time....there is always this dance between art and money

Walter started out trying to make sure his family would be ok....and morphed into a drug dealer, because he liked it
If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » March 10th, 2018, 12:30 pm

The "WIRE" was enough contemporary drama for me, I dig the old time ones better😎
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

mnaz

Post by mnaz » March 10th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Me too, Wired, at least some of them. Maybe it was just the laughing smugness of the series' creators when I watched episodes with their commentary. No, really it was just that the characters became cardboard cutouts, and the whole thing became a Dark Cartoon with no one and nothing to be interested in past a point... And something tiresome about the way it happened ... Maybe a little too uncomfortably metaphoric of the Bottomless Drug of American Culture$$$.

But really, I should be more positive.

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » March 12th, 2018, 2:45 am

That writer- peter Gould- won like best screenplay- I mean the guy - is so fucking lucky-
What are the chances of someone buying your drug story? Not too good of odds.
I am impressed- but I was impressed with the guy that wrote” ten thousand pieces” about going thru rehab- and Oprah kicked him out of her book club! You could not stage better publicity- he embellished his memoir- that’s like busting Martha Stewart and having trump for a fucking president- but breaking bad?
I have been to the place in chile where they are crawling for “day of the dead “
In breaking bad- cannot help but think that the world has become a screenplay
And we are actors like puppets
I personally think Pinkerton is the bomb
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » March 12th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Damn! Glad I didn't see this Breaking Bad thing...

Thanks to all for saving me what you went thru!

mnaz

Post by mnaz » March 12th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Creative... good points about "ten thousand pieces," Oprah, Martha and Trump. I think Breaking Bad was a pretty fresh, hard-hitting idea, so give credit where it's due. And it could have been handled in such a way to keep me interested and involved. It just lost me in S3 when they got their fancy lab and became killers and overblown sort of evil caricatures of who they were earlier. For many viewers I suppose that "upped the ante" for the show. Not for me.

And yeah Cec, it was interesting when Walter (shakily) negotiated his first deals with the Drugsters, and tried to hide his double life from family/friends, but for me it went downhill quickly from there.

(Yet I almost bought a Walter T-shirt when I was at the Albuquerque airport last summer . . . before I thought better of it.)

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » March 13th, 2018, 12:55 am

That is so funny! I agree that it was over the top in certain areas- but truthfully I was outside smoking a black American spirit- no other cig will do - thinking about how people are so different now- I mean that evil up the ante- those people are really walking around and making babies- it is frightening- leaving a residue wherever they go-
I asked the divine to just keep bad people away from me- loud mean people-
I want to love- however television romances make me sick- it’s like dating Pinkerton in narcotics anymous- fuck that-
But sons of anarchy - oh now that is evil- and how it appeals to so many ppl- the “ Bitch “ diva attitude promoting such social crap- yeah- gun smuggling and drugs and drinking and fucking/- don’t tell me teenagers are not watching that-
So the flip side of breaking bad is a crazy teenager with a rifle on meth and anti- depressants?
I dunno- television drama is hitting remarkably close to home- and our children are not safe in school- let’s all get that -
The beauty of good writing is fabulous- shameless- that is so funny cool and sad- six feet under-
Dexter is disgusting
However homeland is much the real deal I would guessA a bi polar cia agent-
Yeah that’s perfect w/ trump for president-
I have to look at the stars and say” what is up?”
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 20th, 2018, 12:42 am

Sometimes it seems the flip side of breaking bad is just more breaking bad, almost by definition, and always try to blame shit; that seems about right.

On the other hand happy to be alive. Hard to discount that, no matter the shit flavor of the month on a screen,
always hitting remarkably close to home, all the drugs and guns, a special generation to sort it all out even if unauthorized..

Love New Mexico by the way..

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » April 21st, 2018, 4:11 am

My my my generation
I hear that song
I hear woodstock
I hear hippies building geodesic domes-
I walked in on Kesey once
Rather embarrassing
But ya know back in those days we did not even have to lock our domecommunal
Life
Yes I’m very fortunate. To be alive
Truth is I have to really have faith that the “ good “ and the “ bad” and everything in between is an old sage trying to teach us all something

Return to “Poetry”