Machine devours soul.
Picasso or Gestapo.
Guernica or Luftwaffe.
Spirit or steel cage.

gypsyjoker

Re: Bauhaus

Post by gypsyjoker » March 12th, 2019, 8:11 pm

good stuff!
possibilities, the probability that the past could be altered, what would I be doing if I lived in Germany between the great wars?
Liked your poem a lot, I am spastic in time like billy pilgrim.(*) I keep trying to go back in time and assassinate Woodrow Wilson in 1912

(*)Slaughter House Five, The Children's Crusade—KVonnegut
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

mnaz

Post by mnaz » March 12th, 2019, 11:27 pm

The story of Walter Gropius, the German architect who founded the Bauhaus school (1919-33) is inspiring and more than a little discouraging/depressing. The scourge of hard line political extremism and steel-walled dogmatism... The Anti-art...

saw

Post by saw » March 13th, 2019, 9:36 am

you managed to stir the mind... with great economy...always a wonderful accomplishment.... 8)
If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 16th, 2019, 11:16 pm

I love the Bauhaus movement!

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » March 17th, 2019, 1:06 am

Why would anyone want to conform as an artist? hey nowy built a tower- and an underground bunker- ( see day x “ ) - a 1940 s bomb evacuation- and Roosevelt goes in an amazing car to the underground bunker- rumor has it- that his polio made him shy and even modest- at a Boy Scout camp - he got it-
Any way - I used to live in a house right near there- they - whoever they are- filled the entrance with bricks and mortar- and a whole bunch of dirt - then they tried to make a greenway on top of it- they did
But not before my last husband crawled in there and smelled some of that black mold and told me the tale of how all the furniture was still in there-
I often wonder if he got whatever it means to have a “ sick building”
Sulphuric smells and people getting rashes that worked there.. the rumor was- that it was connected to mt St. Helens-
That is one great thing about Oregon- the ppl are good story tellers-
Must be all that rain-
Anyway
Roosevelt had a pretty radical wife- Elenor —
A little activist she was

Things burst into flames at the trailer park down the street
All the time
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 17th, 2019, 2:05 am

I don’t find it discouraging or depressing at all! I find the movement fascinating! Definitely not anti-art.... whatever that is... it was about functional art... contemporary modern sleek and cool in style and function of both architecture and objects... and of course visual design

https://m.theartstory.org/movement-bauhaus.htm

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 17th, 2019, 2:09 am

"The ultimate aim of all artistic activity is building! ... Architects, sculptors, painters, we must all get back to craft! ... The artist is a heightened manifestation of the craftsman. ... Let us form ... a new guild of craftsmen without the class divisions that set out to raise an arrogant barrier between craftsmen and artists! ... Let us together create the new building of the future which will be all in one: architecture and sculpture and painting."
Walter Gropius

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » March 17th, 2019, 11:02 am

Thanks Doreen
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 17th, 2019, 3:09 pm

You're welcome, Jana.

Here's an example of stunning Bauhaus architecture

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » March 17th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Here are a couple of Bauhaus design lamps I'd absolutely love to own! Gorgeous!

Functional art! I love them! I love the whole era.... architecture, furniture, paintings, all of it! :)

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » March 17th, 2019, 8:17 pm

[qoute]Weimar culture - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weimar_culture
Weimar culture was the emergence of the arts and sciences that happened in Germany during ... Although not part of the Weimar Republic, some authors also include the .... Its members also belonged to other art movements and groups during the Weimar Republic era, such as architect Walter Gropius (founder of Bauhaus) ...
‎Sociology · ‎Science · ‎The arts · ‎Philosophy. . .
"Remarkable for the way it emerged from a catastrophe, more remarkable for the way it vanished into a still greater catastrophe, the world of Weimar represents modernism in its most vivid manifestation."

The Phenomenology of Cultural Evolution

Have you ever thought what it must have been like to live in Germany during the intermission between the great wars of the 20th century., the generation that came of age during the Weimar republic, as the world descended into a nightmare,/— Bauhaus was a light in the fog.
hi jack, as if i am the jackofnightmares :roll:
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

mnaz

Post by mnaz » March 18th, 2019, 2:34 am

Yes. Getting bullied and shut down by the Nazis was the discouraging/depressing aspect-- not the movement itself, which was pretty amazing. That's what I was getting at. Political extremism/dogma as the "Anti-art." The Bauhaus school never stood a chance.

jackofnightmares

Post by jackofnightmares » March 18th, 2019, 7:29 am

it was a good write, sorry I hijacked it. You did not mean to punch my ticket.
I am obsessed with that era.

hell yeah they sure bullied it out of existence
it was wooly bully for my family too
Uno dos, one two tres quatro

not so much anti-art as he was "anti-degenerate art"
I can't look at those images from the Degenerate Art Show in Berlin circa 1937
without my eyes watering. So many artist suicides it must have been so much dread, a brooding dread for life in that time.
My first five years were shaped by that dread.
“From the child of five to myself is but a step,” Leo Tolstoy observed, “but from the new-born baby to the child of five is an appalling distance.
The Worm at the Core
bottom line I hope you pardon my idiosyncratic replies :P
"Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect" Santayana The Idea of Christ in the Gospels

mnaz

Post by mnaz » March 18th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Apparently that Nazi show (of confiscated "degenerate" works) exhibited works of foreign artists, including Picasso-- but not Guernica in particular, it appears (though it would've been a prime candidate). It all ties together.

Return to “Poetry”