in fact, A duo
that his guitar was singing and talking just like his open mouth
and his mind was a blend of tongue and steel strings
If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

sasha

Re: a blend of tongue and steel strings

Post by sasha » June 8th, 2020, 11:37 am

Jazz arranger Gil Evans, who had written & led orchestrations for Miles Davis (e.g., "Sketches of Spain" and "Porgy & Bess"), wanted to do the same for Jimi Hendrix. Jimi had agreed to the project, but died a few weeks before they recorded anything. Can you imagine what he mght have sounded like with a full jazz orchestra behind him? Evans often included a Hendrix tune on his own releases after Jimi's death, with guitarists Ryo Kawasaki or John Abercrombie filling in, and trumpeter Hannibal Marvin Peterson on vocals. Kawasaki and Abercrombie were able enough, but jazz-trained and perhaps a bit too mannered to cover Hendrix. (Stevie Ray did it better, I think.) Peterson, unfortunately, fell a bit short as a vocalist. (I never did understand why an outstanding instrumentalist would insist on singing instead...) Still, the recordings are a tantalizing glimpse of what might have been. If only, if only.......

Gil_does_Jimi.mp3
(8.77 MiB) Not downloaded yet
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

saw

Post by saw » June 8th, 2020, 2:25 pm

listening to your link as I'm typing.....good stuff....and thanx for the background info as well....yeah...can you imagine....I often think of what Hendrix would have, could have done....what he'd be doing right now....and Janis Joplin as well to name a couple

sasha

Post by sasha » June 8th, 2020, 4:06 pm

"Little Wing" came from Evans' LP "There Comes A Time". I faded out just before an embarrassingly weak vocal from Peterson. The other two - "Little Miss Lover" & "A Merman I Should Turn to Be" were from an LP devoted entirely to Hendrix, "Gil Evans Plays Jimi Hendrix". Both are probably available from some online streaming service.

saw

Post by saw » June 9th, 2020, 9:26 am

Little Wing may be my favorite Hendrix song.....and Axis Bold As Love was one of those life changing LP's for me....I instantly could see more colors and textures, and my overall passion for music deepened.....also Cream's Disraeli Gears.....perhaps these 2 artists put the concept of Power Trio more obvious on the map

sasha

Post by sasha » June 9th, 2020, 3:34 pm

I didn't come to appreciate Hendrix until much later, coming to him by the backdoor via jazz. I can think of two LPs that permanently recalibrated my ears: Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew", and an avant-garde release on Nonesuch, "The Electro-Acoustic Music of Iannis Xenakis". My first exposure to Miles had come from "Filles de Kilimanjaro" in college, during a spectacularly unsuccessful attempt to "culturify" myself by checking out jazz. I wasn't ready, and just couldn't hear the music. "Bitches Brew" changed that. Big Time. It was an epiphany. Xenakis' musique concrete was another - it changed my very concept of what constitutes music. Melody, rhythm, structure - nice to have, but not essential. Waves lapping on a beach - two trees groaning against one another in the breeze - rain pattering on the roof of the car, a distant train in the night, a field full of crickets, a coin spinning down on a counter - all music.

Return to “Poetry”