Inner Mountain

Post your poetry, any style.
mtmynd

Inner Mountain

Post by mtmynd » February 1st, 2021, 5:44 pm

Inner Mountain

Each of us has our own mountain within us. For some its only a hill, a dune or perhaps a small rise on the horizon. For others their own mountain is a seemingly insurmountable monster that only provides late afternoon shade. For most there is the in-between - not just a little lump and not impossibly high.

But this analogical mountain is our own to surmount. Made of questions and answers, our mountains drive us to know. It matters little what the collective 'we' have to seek, it’s the need of knowing that we must ascend. The higher we rise from the climb the more singular we become in our knowing... less mountain, fewer questions - fewer answers. Maybe we'll get close to the peak. Maybe we'll stumble and trip, calling off the ascent as being too dangerous at the time.

Few attain the top of their mountain. It may be one's mountain is only that little hill - gradual, easy, smooth ascent, accomplished with little effort. That's all life has given those to attain. Even fewer have those Himalaya's where they've reached the peak... those struggles were tough. They took great effort and trust intuiting the climb would reach the apex. But for either, their own mountain was climbed, explored, understood which brought them a feeling of accomplishment... their life became fulfilled.

One mountain - many paths leading to the top. It depends on our perception of the height and difficulty... and what is to be attained. How much do we know of ourselves and how much do we want to know of this Self... the peak of our mountain? It's all we have and all we have to know that makes our living fulfilling... understanding the 'greater mysteries' no matter how mysterious they may be.

How many unknowns must thee know to know thy Self?

reality is an
inner mountain
to be ascended
to find the clarity
of knowing
found upon our peak

no shadows - no shade
to interrupt the
360 degree view
encompassing
all that we are
at that moment

ascension peaked
burned into mind
transcending all else
even upon the return
to our mundane reality
life is never the before
_____*_____
Cecil B. Lee
03 June 2007

mnaz

Re: Inner Mountain

Post by mnaz » February 23rd, 2021, 4:01 pm

Many paths up the mountain. Always loved that wisdom!

saw

Post by saw » February 24th, 2021, 8:38 am

many truths here
If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

sasha

Post by sasha » February 24th, 2021, 12:50 pm

There's a cairn at the summit of my own mountain, marked "Happiness". Various false peaks along the way have complicated the ascent - outcrops labeled "Love", "Success", "Popularity" - whose ascent have been exhilarating, but in some way anticlimactic, as though the view from their summits were obscured by a larger massif. Somehow, my wanderings seem to have brought me to the peak of that massif - and I am content simply to Be. Yesterday I spent an hour or more removing snow splashed upon the entrance of my driveway by the town plows, and spent far too much time making it pretty and admiring my handiwork. This morning I wept with joy watching a video of one robot lowering another to the surface of Mars. I cooked and enjoyed a perfectly poached egg before showering, and then bound my pony tail with a fresh scrunchie. The lockdown at my mother's assisted-living facility has been lifted, so later I shall deliver her weekly sweets in person instead of dropping them off with staff.

Simplicity = Happiness. I have arrived.

Thank you, Cecil, for bringing this to my attention.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 25th, 2021, 2:22 am

Many thanks to all for your comments!

Return to “Poetry”