so split the difference, suck
gas like a full size Ford.

Your trucks aren't bad.
We drive em a million miles.
Bulbous, overpowered tanks.
Smaller than a Ford, thirsty as hell.
They seem to lose their way
in the American desert.
Last edited by mnaz on February 24th, 2021, 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

saw

Re: I'm gonna write a letter to Toyota

Post by saw » February 23rd, 2021, 9:33 am

some companies are still trying to get by on their reputation
But...things have clearly changed....I've seen it with many big name brands
Planned obsolescence ....and the lack of pride in building quality items.....oh. those were the days my friend
when the competition was to build something that would last forever
like old steel hand tools.....it was a one time purchase
If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 23rd, 2021, 12:59 pm

These Toy trucks run forever. "Bulletproof," as the story goes. The one thing that's carried through for 40+ years (so far), and it's no small thing ... But they ceased to be efficient machines LONG ago. Who cares, right? Just overpay (Jesus Christ, the money for these machines!) for the damn thing and pour a ton of gas down its guzzling throat. Is that American enough?

Might as well drive a full size Ford with 8 pistons under the hood. Hell yeah (even in Mongolia). These Toy trucks piss me off. They have for awhile now. Lost their way. Talked myself into buying one. Can't say it's a keeper.

Well there's my snowflake rant for awhile... Not proud of it.

I'll get over it. Sometimes I'm an idiot. Too often.

(Sorry for the late edit. Had to fix some grammar...)

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 25th, 2021, 2:19 am

toyotas are sold worldwide, continent to continent. their name brand speaks of quality and long life. (recently it was published Toyota Corrola's were the best seller in the world.

back in 1969, after serving uncle sam, i purchased my first toyota...their first model, "corolla" served me very well. of course back then most new cars had few extras, i.e. heater and a.m.radio. air conditioning was not in the line up, no automatic window "closers", and standard shifts were usual. I drove that corolla for years, mileage long forgotten but i can say several times it was due a oil change but i was short dinero and postponed it and the car kept running flawlessly.

Their prices have changed radically, as all cars have fighting for dominance by offering the latest gismos to entice the buyer... not just an American system bu rather a worldwide necessity for they auto business to compete. More new gadgets, the higher the prices, based on buyers preferences, the "new kids of the block" have to have the best features and the various car makers have to keep up or lose customers.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 25th, 2021, 3:26 am

I liked the simplicity and efficient, maneuverable nimble-ness of their 4WD trucks. But now I have a heavy, bulbous and thirsty Tank of a truck sitting out front, and I can't believe I talked myself into it. Only 6 years old and a dinosaur, sucking fossil dinosaur fuel... like a v8 Ford. Nice lookin' truck tho..

East met West, and succumbed.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 27th, 2021, 11:05 am

In time enough, you'll find a love for your truck. Inevitable.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 27th, 2021, 2:45 pm

Not so sure. I was among the first to drive a Japanese pickup (as soon as I got a license), and I'll be among the first (tho certainly not THE first) to call bullshit-- right at the height of their powers & "popularity" (which it seems are/is fading a little). I don't recognize 'em any more. Haven't for 15 years. If I wanted a &;@\&! gas hog I'd get a full size Ford or Dodge. Maybe ... no more trucks. Maybe a crossover with clearance instead. You know, a vehicle that actually joined the 21st century. It's not like I was going to drive the Rubicon or anything like that.

I guess I can't blame the manufacturers; it's the MARKET. We just want fat ass trucks, and that's just the way it is. Hell yeah!...

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 28th, 2021, 6:05 pm

mnaz wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 2:45 pm
We just want fat ass trucks, and that's just the way it is. Hell yeah!...
Bingo! right on the hood of a shiny red truck, lookin' so big, so powerful, speed begs to throttle it!

All for the sake of HAVING ONE of those out of thousands on the ASS-embly lines.... gotta have 'em!

I have to shake my head with a smile when I see some of those giants pulling into a p[parking lot...
going around and around waiting for a parking spot that the behemoths need to park. and when
they find one, they move slowly,,, slowly as to not allow the car next to him scratch the giant.

The fellow opens his door... and out pops a 5 foot 3 fellow and I ask myself... why?

mnaz

Post by mnaz » March 1st, 2021, 1:53 pm

Always good for a chuckle when the driver is shorter than the towering front grille. We think BIG in this here territory...

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 22nd, 2021, 5:01 am

I'm getting rid of this truck.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » July 27th, 2021, 1:05 am

mnaz wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 5:01 am
I'm getting rid of this truck.
Have you done this yet..? What's the choice of another one?

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 27th, 2021, 3:49 am

I want the first generation Tacoma, before they got bloated and overpowered. Ya gotta understand, I grew up with Japanese pickups from an early age, and as beautiful and well-made as my SECOND GEN Tacoma is, I don't recognize the original concept and esthetic in its design lines and inefficient, gas-sucking (though "bulletproof") drive train, but maybe that's my problem. Of course it is.

Thank god I still have my old Nissan.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » July 27th, 2021, 3:25 pm

I've gotta think, mnaz, that you've done your homework on the first generation Tacoma... there has to be just what you want SOME WHERE! in the USA that will captivate you..? Do you think that ONE would cost you more than what you have now?... even is you had to get a total rebuild and paint job to your liking! Get on your computer and do some searching, amigo. It's out there waitin' for you... guaranteed.

Here a link to start your dreaming...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Ta ... 190;_1995)

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » July 28th, 2021, 10:46 pm

no idea about trucks & driving mnaz... I only drove a Peugeot car in a non asphaltic side road of a plains´s little town more than thirty years ago... then I knew that I needed the road only for my own... hahaha... The crazy thing is that since more or less three months ago a big part of the publicity in youtube that appear to me is about a Ford Bronco... :roll: I guess the algoritms are not reading too well... :lol: :lol:

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 29th, 2021, 2:25 am

Cec, yeah recently did a nationwide search, found a couple on the east coast. Here out west they all start around $20k (for 20+ year old trucks with 170k+ miles). I dunno. I read today that prices for used cars/ trucks are FORTY FIVE PER CENT higher than they were a year ago. It's nuts.

Arcadia: Big trucks are great for towing and getting work done. But that comes with a cost, and it always made sense for me to opt into something smaller and more nimble for narrow trails. Like the aforementioned Japanese pickups. HOWEVER ... starting in 2005 or so, American gigantism crept into the design. Toyota tried to "split the difference" with the 2nd gen Tacoma--- it tries to be a Chevy (but it's not), and it tries to be a "compact" truck (but it's not) at the same time. Why did they do this? They already had the full-size Tundra line to tweak. Why make Tacoma almost the same size? My god the thing sucks gas worse than an F150.

But I admit, it looks nice in the driveway, and it has some tech stuff in it.

Return to “Poetry”