toe to earth

Post your poetry, any style.
judih
Site Admin

toe to earth

Post by judih » April 15th, 2021, 3:06 pm

(an old poem comes to visit and gets a makeover). Please offer feedback. I'm not at all sure if it hits any notes.

as earth shuffles through the air
a dog's paw
a thread-worn hope
a longing
mumbling of youth
an old-age myth
and a sock

dig?
why not
as roots up
and dreams melt
new thoughts
tickle the fields
sprouting riddles of words

sasha

Re: toe to earth

Post by sasha » April 15th, 2021, 4:41 pm

I'm not the best-informed to comment on poetry, especially that leaning toward the abstract - I'm too literal-minded. (Must be my Canadian ancestry.)

BUT...

I will say that for some reason, this song popped into my head while reading the 1st stanza: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MNknFy ... ikVasilyan
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 15th, 2021, 5:57 pm

Re/Ply Fishin'
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Casting my lines into the waters

swallowing my words in a cyber-sea
n
no droplets spilled 
upon the keyboards
only this poem looking back at me

Hit the refresh button looking for replies

anything will do - cheers, boo's or sighs

Standing at the shores of literature

captivating my floating world

action poetry 'n chatter

haiku and utterances

my ideas in a vortex being swirled

Hit the refresh button - look for replies

any words will do - cheers, shrieks or byes

~~~~~~~~~-
Cecil B. Lee
(prowling thru me pomes and poems this popped up back on 5.26.2002]

saw

Post by saw » April 15th, 2021, 6:09 pm

the circular cycles of life
what goes around, comes around
as they say.... 8)
If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » April 15th, 2021, 10:12 pm

thanks, all!
interaction! nutrition! appreciation!

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » April 15th, 2021, 10:14 pm

sasha wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 4:41 pm
I'm not the best-informed to comment on poetry, especially that leaning toward the abstract - I'm too literal-minded. (Must be my Canadian ancestry.)

BUT...

I will say that for some reason, this song popped into my head while reading the 1st stanza: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MNknFy ... ikVasilyan
jobim!
and Cdn-ness can be liberating.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » April 16th, 2021, 11:22 am

~ every fucking word ~
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » April 16th, 2021, 11:26 am

... and don't give the literal-minded transplant from Canada too much attention - he's actually a wild romanticist ya know, why else would he be living in New Damn Hampshire next to some of the best rail trails anywhere? - Why he does not have an electric mountain bike yet is the reason I don't trust Rocket Roy 8)

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » April 16th, 2021, 12:25 pm

the mingo wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 11:22 am
~ every fucking word ~
high praise from you. thanks.
i'm gonna dare to share with a bunch of eclectic poets from my bizarre country.

Thanks!
and Rocket Roy is not yet electric, maybe never. That's okay. We all agree that new damn hampshire puts the roll in the rocks.

sasha

Post by sasha » April 16th, 2021, 12:35 pm

the mingo wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 11:26 am
... and don't give the literal-minded transplant from Canada too much attention - he's actually a wild romanticist ya know, why else would he be living in New Damn Hampshire next to some of the best rail trails anywhere? - Why he does not have an electric mountain bike yet is the reason I don't trust Rocket Roy 8)
Ya caught me, El Mingo - incurably romantic, despite the lessons of past decades! Born & raised here in the USA, but my DNA definitely from north of the border - the Quebecois Langlois', the Sunters from Toronto, the Bradys & Murphys from Three Rivers... know what I mean, eh?

Electric mountain bike? What kind of newfangled tomfoolery is that? Hobnail boots were good enough for our brutish ancestors, they're good enough for me.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

the mingo

Post by the mingo » April 16th, 2021, 7:17 pm

Ya caught me, El Mingo - incurably romantic, despite the lessons of past decades! Born & raised here in the USA, but my DNA definitely from north of the border - the Quebecois Langlois', the Sunters from Toronto, the Bradys & Murphys from Three Rivers... know what I mean, eh?
I do know what ya mean - I have had a suspicion all my adult life that my last name had been shortened from a longer original - just recently I have had DNA confirmation (mitochondrial) still waiting for Y-DNA results - I just know this blood is coming through my father -
anyway, I'm Jewish. Ashkenazi Jewish. I mean fuck-me-dead. I gotta ask judih, what now? Do I move to Israel? Do I have to learn Hebrew? I've always wanted to learn to write Hebrew, even when calligraphy was a hot rabid hobby of mine the "flame letters" of written Hebrew fascinated me, the way a whole page of text written in flame letters looked - ya got to be careful rooting around in the DNA vaults - you're gonna get surprised.
Electric mountain bike? What kind of newfangled tomfoolery is that? Hobnail boots were good enough for our brutish ancestors, they're good enough for me.
You can only hold that opinion because you have never ridden one. I was made a dyed-in-the-wool true believer in the first 35 seconds of my first lithium-ion-powered ride - I gotta tell ya, Roy, you would love-love-love it. Every hill flattened, every headwind tamed - you just don't know what you are missing. Check it out.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » April 16th, 2021, 11:57 pm

the Mingo: Ashkenazi Jewish says some mitochondria. Okay then, if you find yourself gravitating towards gefilte fish, that's your proof.
personally, i turned vegan as soon as possible to escape the sordid rituals of being overstuffed at dinnertimes. As a Jew, you get the right to return, could be nice. Lots of paradise over here. Or could be a can of worms. Lots of insanity with a touch of dictatorship, fascism and good people who aren't heard enough. Want some of the soup? Come on over. Oh, and it's warm most of the year!

to the Sasha: we all live our paths, some motorized, some lower-teched. It's good. But some modern change can be uplifting. Me? I prefer pedalling (Canadian spelling) my bike, but I've never tried electric.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » April 17th, 2021, 1:37 am

judih -

Ha! You trying to tell me it's an "on the one hand & then on the other hand" situation? then there's the "Lots of insanity with a touch of dictatorship, fascism and good people who aren't heard enough." O hell yeah! Count me in! Truth is the warm weather most of the year is the biggest draw - could ride my bike most days 8) - I wouldn't want to be rocketed or mortared though, had enough of that in 'Nam to last me a lifetime - plus every time I hear the munitions are flying in your neighborhood I get an anus pucker and want to swoop in there and get you off the firing line even though I know you wouldn't leave -

I'm just beginning to investigate this, learning more about the Ashkenazi as a whole than individually, the history and movements across Europe & such.
Curiosity wiping the floor with my face - Thx, judih

the mingo

Post by the mingo » April 17th, 2021, 1:39 am

PS - you ain't been on an electric bike yet? Hey, it's the damn 21st century, get out there! 8)

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » April 17th, 2021, 3:01 am

21st? oh!

Return to “Poetry”