Post your poetry, any style.
stilltrucking

Totems and Taboos

Post by stilltrucking » July 15th, 2005, 7:16 pm

Spiderwoman used to smile and tell her sister
“You have no alter ego”
My sister myself
gone going gone woman
we reached out for what I thought was going to be our usual sister brother lean the head forward, no body touching below the shoulders kind of platonic hug.
Not sure what chakra hug means but it sounds right
Somehow we wound up in full frontal embrace
And my blood began to boil.
And I was shocked, could not stop thinking of her as jitterbug’s wife.
Ex wife.
Dang me they ought to take a rope :twisted:

I been thinking about R Crumb comic books
How well the brothers and sisters got along in his stories.

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » July 15th, 2005, 8:38 pm

There's some good work here, Still, on a difficult subject.

Some lively lines breaking where you wouldn't expect them to break, and a kind of nearly manic zig-zag of imagery.

Yet the whole has coherence.

Zlatko

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 15th, 2005, 8:49 pm

makes my day Professor :D

I tried to stay creative with it
jamming with uncle siggie

Ah, if you get some free time would be very interested on reading your musings about Freud and Swift
Norman O Brown Life Against Death, been struggling with that book longer than Husserl's

did not to mean to impose just curious, any links or info you have would be useful.
thanks again for encouraging words.

iblieve

Post by iblieve » July 15th, 2005, 9:05 pm

We create ur own reality based upon the information pounded into us by family and religious doctrine. Right is a state of mind too but harder to achieve. Loved the muse's voice in this one my friend. "C"
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/iblieve/9e35dd63.gif[/img]
iblieve
DARC Poet's Society.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 15th, 2005, 11:50 pm

We create ur own reality based upon the information pounded into us by family and religious doctrine. Right is a state of mind too but harder to achieve.
You might create your own reality, and a lot of the voices on studio eight also sound like they are living their own lives (as in finding the Holy Grail)
But there are plenty of people living in their own dreams, in the wealthy west, a land of silicon dreams, media manipulated desires but not the children starving in africa. We (United States) go through our periodic revivals each one weirder then the last, This Big Awakening is turning into a big snooze. I am not sure If I am not living my own creation or not. So much "government inflicted stimulation" Do you ever Iistened to firesign theatre?

Takes a special effort in this media-saturated world
but
"I knew I had to rise above it all
or drown in my own shit."Funkadelic

I appreciate the modulation

e_dog

Post by e_dog » July 19th, 2005, 10:03 am

Sickmind Fraud's

Psycho Anal Eye-tick
Theerie
I don't think 'Therefore, I am.' Therefore, I am.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 20th, 2005, 2:07 pm

http://www.pinn.net/~sunshine/book-sum/agrip4.html

What this country needs is a good five cent cigar.

My father was born in the nineteenth century. I suppose that makes me a child of the Victorian Age just like Uncle Siggie.
Last edited by stilltrucking on July 20th, 2005, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e_dog

Post by e_dog » July 20th, 2005, 2:11 pm

can you give us a synopsis of the Doctor's views.

i am finding it difficult to wade through the titles and stylizations. is this the scholastic equivalent of the soul singer's "this one goes out to all tha ladies"?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 20th, 2005, 2:15 pm

I admit Freud is no Karl Marx but I don't have a clue. You need to write to someone a lot smarter than me. Herr Dr Goebbels found Freud very useful for finding insights into how to manipulate the great unwashed. But I remember how everyone on litkicks thought freud was a dam good joke. Freud so wrong about women, so right about culture. There is another stupid book you might get a few laughs out of
Life Against Death.

CARLA BINION

April 23, 2001

How PR opinion-shapers turn the people against their own interests

Today's right-wing public relations spin has much in common with the propaganda methods of Hitler's PR man, Joseph Goebbels.

Goebbels admired Edward Bernays, a self-proclaimed founder of the public relations industry. Bernays, a Vienna-born nephew of Sigmund Freud, opened a New York office in 1919. According to John Stauber and Sheldon Rampton, ( "Toxic Sludge is Good for You," Common Courage Press, 1995 ) Bernays "pioneered the PR industry's use of psychology and other social sciences to design its public persuasion campaigns."

Bernays wrote in "Propaganda," ( New York : 1928, pp. 47–48 ) "If we understand the mechanism and motives of the group mind, it is now possible to control and regiment the masses according to our will without their knowing it." Bernays referred to this scientific opinion-control as the "engineering of consent."
http://www.angelfire.com/hi3/pearly/htm ... bbels.html

e_dog

Post by e_dog » July 20th, 2005, 2:50 pm

in my request for a summary, i was actually referring to the Doctor Agrippa, not Freud.

i've read a bit of Freud. he was, despite his terribly ignorant views about women, a genius, if for no other reason than that some of the best efforts to explain Freud's blind spots draw on Freudian concepts and theories. what i mean is, a suitably- corrected feminist version of Freudian theory is quite powerful.

this is a complex domain of course. No two psychoanalytic thinkers see eye to eye, concerning the relevance of Freud's views and so on.

i am a bit skeptical of the "usefulness" of Freud for public relations or propaganda. i think psychoanalysis is probably more useful for decoding and deconstructing such works than for practicing them.

indeed, there were quite a few psychoanalysts, including some of those who were persecuted by nazis or had to flee Europe in exile, who used psychoanalytic methods to criticise fascism and its modes of propaganda and authoritarianism, leader worship, etc. etc.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 20th, 2005, 6:38 pm

I think of him as a cultural anthropologist. I don't know nothing about psychoanalysis. Matter of fact,it seems to me that Anne Sexton and Sylvia Plath were martyrs to psychoanalysis. I am also interested in Sylvia Plath and Freud's Mourning and Melancholia.

I liked this article on Freud a lot.
Whither Psychoanalysis in a Computer Culture?
by Sherry Turkle
http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.ht ... t0529.html

Agrippa:

I was surfing the word, "protofeminist," when I ran across his name. Suprised the hell out of me. There is a hell of a backlash coming against women. The gift of priestly resentment. In fact the backlash is here. Babel Fish does not do Latin, so I got not much idea what he is saying.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7850/de_nob.htm

Agrippa, Weininger and Feminism: a Tale of the Eagle
(based on comments from my foreword and Bulgarian translation of De occulta philosophia)

... just another example of Agrippa's tendency to go counter to prevailing opinion and to present shrewd arguments that stand conventional wisdom on its head. Agrippa himself claims no more, and the present reviewer in his own study of Agrippa's thought published in 1965 certainly failed (as Rabil justly notes) to perceive this little book's significance as part of an emergent protofeminist challenge to misogyny."

It was a fair question, I miss-understood as soon as I find a Latin translation I will hopefuly get back to you. Babel Fish don't do latin. Please accept my appology.

I lost my copy of Beyond The Pleasure Principle. The compulsion to repeat and the death instinct. I need to get another copy. Freud is a bitch to read. I did not know he was a suicide. Cancer of the jaw from all those cigars that were just cigars. Refused pain medications until the last day of his life because he wanted to keep his mind clear so he could continue to work. Then after his last lecutrue in 1939? He asked his doctor for the fatal dose of morphine.

Freud is so rediculous in so many things it is easy to blow him off. I am not even sure I believe in the unconscious, it just seems to work. It has been Reified I guess. Reminds of of the use of i in mathematics. The square root of minus one, i think you can use it in an equation and get answers that. Imaginary numbers? No idea there either. I think it was J D Salinger one of the short stories where a nine year old Buddha says "God is the square root of minus one." Remember who you are dealing with here. An old trucker whose eyes are bigger than his brain. I should have read more about Agrippa before I posted it.

Axanderdeath

movie review

Post by Axanderdeath » July 21st, 2005, 10:25 am

I like girls with the name Misty. It sounds so trashy you know. I kind of like that you know?

I like to sit on the curb of the street and watch the rich people in their SUV. Nobodies saying they have small cock’s, nobody but me and some of my friends that cough under our breath as they pass,
“Small cock”
And continue watching SUV after SUV passing by—lots of heavy duty sport going on in the city today I guess?

It is around noon time and I decide it is a nice sunny day and I will go to a movie to stay cool because the humanity is killing me and I feel like a lobster in a pot. The movie is from Germany “head on” and it is about a girl (who is around 20) and a man (who is around 40, and a drunk) who meet in a mental ward because he drove his car in to a wall drunk and she slit her wrist to get away form her parents. They get a fake marriage and if I watched the whole thing I am sure my opinion would be the same of the movie. I liked it.

I leave the movie early because of a shortage of beer and stager in to the pink evening.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 21st, 2005, 12:03 pm

Thanks Geoff, if I have ever posted anything more stupid than the one you are replying to I can't think of it. I was really thinking about deleting it but I won't. I like your reply a lot. Seriously, I think it is great. It is creative which mine was not.

My father who was affectionately known as crazy mike was real big on freud. every thing I ever did was because of ulterior motives. I used to spend a lot of time locked in a funky dead rat smelling cellar. I been thinking about abortions a lot lately. A hell of a method of birth control, I met a woman in her twenties who had six of them already. None of my business I don't know the details, but it seemed like a lot. But even so I think men should stay the hell out of the abortion debate. One more vote on the supreme court to over turn roe v wade. Nothing to do with abortion as it is about power. Take that option away from a woman to keep her under a man's thumb. This has nothing to do with anything. I just did not realize that protofeminists were around five hundred years ago. I got pretty warped sitting down there in that basement. Still trying to climb out

keep on keeping on
and thanks for the 8) reply

working on a short story about being burried alive. Hope to get back with something more creative than this pedantic bullshit I been doing.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 1st, 2010, 10:16 am

Calling out e_dog.

My name is Marilyn Monroe and...
"I am at ease with myself"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3224520614#

Barry

Post by Barry » April 1st, 2010, 10:55 am

I'll make my own confession in kind...A few times as a teen, I had dreams of sex with my mother, waking in a state of utter revulsion and extreme confusion. I just didn't understand why!!! In my waking life I had absolutely no thoughts along these lines. Yet here was this dream. Because of this, I identify with what you illustrate in this piece.

I think what happened to both you and me was a natural, normal part of being human, as unsettling as it is, whether we understand why or not.

In Anthropology class on the day we discussed the incest taboo someone asked the professor why, why is it there? His response was that there really is no medically founded reason, at least not to the horrific degree as the reasons we are given as kids. What he said was the genuine problems deriving from inbreeding do not alone explain the widespread occurrence of the incest taboo across cultural lines.

It's a decent piece, truck. You are to be honored for writing and posting it.

Peace,
Barry

Return to “Poetry”