That's The Way It Is

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

That's The Way It Is

Post by Lightning Rod » March 3rd, 2006, 11:52 pm

That's The Way It Is
for release 04-03-06
Washington D.C.

The subject of our drug laws and the so-called War on Drugs is one upon which I generally refrain from commenting. This is because, given my history in that area, I may not be the most credible voice. But if there is anyone who has a credible voice, it's Walter Cronkite. He has written a blog entry on The Huffington Post which reminds me of why he is one of the most trusted voices in America.

It just carries more weight when Cronkite, the image of sobriety, makes a plea for sensible treatment of our drug control issues, than when LIghtning Rod, the proven profligate drug user who has probably smoked close to a metric ton of pot in his lifetime and has experimented with every drug with even the slightest reputation for euphoria, steps up to protest the stupidity of our drug policies. It would be like Tom DeLay stepping up to the plate in favor of ethics in government. I am hardly the best poster child for this cause. Walter Cronkite is much better.

But you see, I don't need Walter Cronkite to tell me that the drug laws have caused much more misery to the lives of people than the drug use that they were designed to discourage. I have lived it. I spent four years in a steel and concrete cage because I got caught up in the digestive machinery of our criminal justice (oxy) system for my revolutionary activities in the realm of drugs.

As a poet, my keynote issue is Body Sovereignty, the basic tenets of which are outlined here. Drugs and drug laws are only a small part of the over-arching subject of Body Sovereignty.

The problem with the war on drugs is the same as the problem with the war on terror, you can't declare war on a noun. It's meaningless. What we have done in the case of the 'war on drugs' is set up goon-squads and bureaucracies and spend literally billions of dollars to support them. The DEA represents one of the most colossal wastes of American tax dollars in history. It's a welfare program for out-of-work cops and thugs. And the war on terror should be more properly phrased 'the war on terra', just like the president pronounces it.. It's an open-ended excuse to spend excessive money on military adventures and violate the Constitutional rights of our citizens without accomplishing the professed mission.

Any time you hear a politician declare war on something, beware. It means that he has his hand in your pocket.

The Poet's Eye has wearied of watching these rhetorical 'wars'. We can declare war on poverty or war on ignorance or war on drugs or war on terra and all any of them mean is that there will be new layers of bureaucracy and more money spent hiring parasites to do nothing but justify their jobs.

And that's the way it is.

Look at the shoes your filling
Look at the blood we're spilling
Look at the world we're killing
The way we've always done before
Look in the doubt we've wallowed
Look at the leaders we've followed
Look at the lies we've swallowed
And I don't want to hear no more

My hands are tied
For all I've seen has changed my mind
But still the wars go on as the years go by
With no love of God or human rights
'Cause all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars
---Guns and Roses
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » March 4th, 2006, 12:10 am

and firsty said:

the doctor in the white suit
told me i had to go
all i wanted was a toot toot
all i wanted was a blow
the bank teller in the bow tie
told me i had to pay
all i wanted was to try
all i wanted was to fly
got a beat on another street
took the train in the rain
with a fox wearing socks
nipped a little bud
as we huddled in the mud
and when the thing broke down
we called the demons round
and we blasted
and we burned
everybody took a turn
from the doctor
to the thief
turned tomorrow into yesterday
and all our problems flew away
just like i said they would.
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » March 4th, 2006, 11:47 am

Do we feel we are doing what is right or are we doing what is wrong????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 19th, 2009, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 4th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Well if it feels good do it we used to say back in the seventies. So I am dam sure feeling good about myself. My consumer confidence is high. I check the papers for sale advertisements everyday. I go shopping as much as I can, because that's my job. I support our troops, I vote with my dollars, and we get more bang for the buck.

But mostly I am so pure, I read only good books.

SOrry Dav what was the question again? :oops:

Sorry LR I forgot, dav must me asking you :oops:

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » March 4th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Right on, L'Rod! War is spent energy that could well be used for peaceful purposes... but has peace lost it's meaning and now is seen as laziness and insufficient motivation to better the Self. The Masters of War have no interest in the Self, only their own power to use others to wage their battles.

Write on, Poet's Eye!

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » March 6th, 2006, 5:39 pm

the bodhi serenity prayer:

lrod, may i not accept the things i cannot change,
know i own my bodhi,
and the wisdumb to know penetrating clarity,
however it may be distilled, enhaled, perfused.

the zen sensei said to me,
there is a lot of power in clarity.
and i am gonna call my stepo an fetchit stepson
no longer a slacker, but a stockman who is friends with the beermeister at the local healthynuts food market,
for some medicina para fumar.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”