Hotel California

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Hotel California

Post by Lightning Rod » March 20th, 2006, 10:16 pm

Panopticon blueprint by Jeremy Bentham, 1791

Hotel California
for release 03-21-06
Washington D.C.

Shortly after the birth of our Rebublic, Jeremy Bentham, the English philosopher and liberal, designed a prison building called the Panopticon. His goal was to streamline the prison model so that it could more efficiently and humanely and economically house prisoners. To this end he devised an architectural solution to the problem of controlling a large population of prisoners. It was a circular structure with a guardhouse in the middle and the cells radiating from it on the periphery. The construction was such that the guards could at any time see every prisoner but that the prisoners could never see the guards. In other words, each prisoner had to assume that he was being constantly observed. In this way, very few guards could be used to control many prisoners. The Panopticon makes every prisoner his own guard.

The Panopticon was never built in Bentham's time but it has been a great influence on more modern penal techniques and prison construction. When I was on my vacation at State expense in Huntsvillle, Texas at the Wynne Unit, I was lucky enough to stay in a version of the Panopticon. In the main bulding at the Wynne Unit, what they now call 'the old building,' there is a central guard cage and radiating from it are five dormitories. A guard in the central cage can see any prisoner in any of the dorms. They kept the dormitories lit at night and the guard cage in darkness. I know first hand, from the prisoners point of view, what it feels like to assume, just from the structure of the building, that you are being constantly observed. The basis for control is the assumption on the part of each inmate that the all seeing eye is watching him always.

Michel Foucault pointed out in the late twentieth century that the concept of Bentham's Panopticon applies to our modern society in a metaphorical sense as well as an architectural one. We assume that there are cameras recording our every furtive move in public places. The cops in the corporation/government have all our personal information. They know every penny we make or spend, and thanks to credit cards and implanted tracking chips on merchandise, they know what we spend it on and where and when. If you have a cell phone, they know to within three feet where you are at any given moment. Don't even think about getting out of line, the IRS or the credit bureau or the thumb of god will mash you like a bug if you do. We all know this, it's internalized.

Remember the cartoons showing a person with a little devil sitting on one shoulder and a little angel sitting on the other? They were both whispering into his ears. You know, the voice of your conscience and all of that. It's a graphic representation of how we internalize values and beliefs. These days everybody is walking around with a little cop riding on both shoulders. We assume that the all-seeing computer, the wrathful Jehovah machine, knows our every thought, so even our thoughts march to the beat. In the name of comfort and security we have built for ourselves, and occupy, a Panopticon. I never felt safer, more secure, than when I was in prison. I was surrounded by steel and the all-knowing eye was always upon me. Everything ran like clockwork.

I don't have to tell you that the watchers are there. You can see the cameras, but you can't see who watches the cameras. You know about one-way glass. You know that every email you send and every phone call you make is potentially monitored. The NSA might have a tap on you right now and who would know it? Certainly not the FISA court. But you know that the Panoptic Eye is upon you.

Any old garden variety dictator can make you behave according to his wishes at the point of a gun. But that is crude and expensive. It takes a clever dictator to control your behavior simply by making you believe that he knows everything you do. The cleverest dictator becomes a system and a bureaucracy, a Panopticon. That way he can go play golf while you control yourselves.

In their provocative book Welcome to the Machine, Derrick Jensen and George Draffan examine the implications of the Panopticon. One thing they mention is the process of being institutionalized.

When I first arrived at the Panopticon at the Wynne Unit there was an old black man that we all called Pops. He was about 70 and had been locked up for 35 years. He would shuffle around the institution sweeping the floors. Then one day he discharged his sentence. They put him on the chain bus and took him ten miles to The Walls Unit in downtown Huntsville where releases are made and they let him go. The next morning Pops was on the front steps of the Wynne Unit. He was so institutionalized, he didn't know where to go or what to do but come back to the Panopticon. It was the only home he knew. It was heartbreaking in a way; they wouldn't allow him in. I never heard what became of him after that. He should have simply stuck his finger in his coat pocket and tried to rob a 7-11 the minute he hit the streets.

The Poet's Eye can't see everything but knows that no matter how comfortable or harsh our Panopticon happens to be, we are there only because we invite or comply with our institutionalization.

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
’relax,’ said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave!
--Eagles

to subscribe to The Poet's Eye
click Here
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » March 21st, 2006, 11:54 am

There's a scene from the movie "The Shawshank Redemption" in which a convict who's been in prison for almost his whole is released back into society. He trys to adapt but in the end this convict sees that he can not make it and ends up killing himself. Yeah why lock someone up for too long then expect them to get back into a normal life when this person can not do it.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 22nd, 2006, 2:44 am

If you ever get to Crawfordville Indiana you might want to check this out.
The Old Jail Museum was built in 1882. It was the first of seven rotary jails constructed in the United States and is currently the only rotary jail in operating condition.

The rotary cellblock consists of a two-tiered turntable divided into pie-shaped wedges, with a total of 16 cells. The turntable is housed within a stationary steel cage with one opening per story.
The jailer would simply rotate the mechanism to bring a particular cell to the opening, and in this way, prisoners were put into and let out of the cells. The turntable remained in operation until 1939.
http://www.crawfordsville.org/jail.htm

I think the drug laws are barbaric. The more decadent a society is the more laws there are. Pliny? quoted from memory.

I watched a Frontline episode on PBS tonight called The New Asylums, Two million prisoners now in the land of the free. Five hundred thousand are mentally ill. One prisoner was up for parole He was begging them not to release him. He said he would kill again. He wanted to be sent to an asylum and have a lobotomy. Or if they could not do that keep him zonked on Thorazine and let him sleep away the rest of his life in some padded cell. They release the poor sick bastards with a two-week supply of medications and it takes three months to get into a community mental health clinic. Is this a great country or what? Homeboy worked as a psychiatrist in Huntsville back in the eighties.

Not sure if it was the same time you were on a scholarship. I think about you sitting there like a Buddha reading Voltaire. I had a nightmare about you once. Well not actually about you but when I woke up you crossed my mind.

Nice work Clay, you always makes me feel so got dam illiterate with that clean prose of yours

added later

Lord help me Jesus, I've wasted it so
Help me Jesus I know what I am
kris kristofferson

It is six am I just woke up thinking about this one. I suppose it looks like I am off on another one of my tangents unrelated rants but the truth is I am begging the issue because I don't much agree with you. So I got jimmy cricket on one shoulder and a little red devil on the other? You all here are such normal people. I know what I am. I know that the thought of prision stopped me from killing. I mean I was planing in my head to do the deed. I was considering the choice of weapons, and how and when to do it. I did not think for a minute that I could get away with it. I see nothing in me except violence. I don't see one thing in the most wretched evil wicked human being that I can not find in my own heart. I am barely civilized. I think it was the drugs, the moldy rye ergot that has done this to me. When the windows of perception are thrown wide open some of us see more than we wish we had. Done

Not yet done

I suppose my point is that for most of us in our right minds there is someone always watching. Freud calls it the Super Ego, the Thou Shalt not.

The dualism of the conscious and unconscious in the Freudian model of the mind— In particular, Rousseau and Marx, along with the Romantics discussed by Larmore, generally speak of authenticity as the expression of a true and singular self, unadulterated.

Although Freud does not speak of authenticity directly (at least he does not use the term), it is possible to infer from Civilization and its Discontents and Lionel Trilling’s analysis of Civilization and related works, a notion of authenticity within the Freudian model. The combined and complicated interactions of the ego and id—further complicated by the super-ego—might represent an authenticity inasmuch as the id is no more the real expression of self than the ego. Whereas Rousseau might point to the instinctive drives of what Freud has termed the ‘id’ as the only source and basis of authentic or ‘natural man,’ there is no such privileging in Freud’s conception. Rather, for Freud the tripartite mind in toto, although not perfectly balanced, is the real expression of self.

For Freud, human suffering takes on three forms: the decay of the body; the superiority and domination of the external world; and relations to other men. The most important of these three is the last. To deal with the suffering inherent in relations among men, the mind, guided mostly by the ‘pleasure principle,’ which finds expression in powerful and base instincts, adopts three ‘palliative measures’ to tame these instincts. These measures are subconscious techniques for ‘avoiding unpleasure’ (Freud 28).

http://www.williams.edu/philosophy/facu ... 22800.html

No I don't always agree with these Poet Eyes, but they always make me think. I wish you would stop it. It makes my head hurt.

We are such social animals. So inclined to be molded.
Probably nothing to do with this but

God Sees You Everywhere
Compiled By - OurBangla.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A teacher had many good students in his class but had particular regard and high respect for one of them. Some of the students one day asked the teacher the reason for this. In reply he said, I shall tell you tomorrow."
The next day, he handed to each of those students one live chicken. He asked them to take the chickens to a place where they would not be seen by anyone and then slaughter them. After a while, they returned with their chicken duly slaughtered. But his favorite student came back with his chicken alive.
The teacher asked him why he had not slaughtered it. He replied. "You had asked me to go to a place where nobody would see me. I tried hard to find a place where God Almighty could not see me. But I failed. Everywhere went I was sure that God could see me and I could not hide from Him. So I could not carry out your instructions.

On hearing this, the teacher turned to the other students and remarked, "The reason why I respect this student more is because of his constant awareness of the existence of God who can always see him, no matter where he is. Consequently, he does not commit any sin".

The sixth Imam, Ja'far al-Sadiq (a), said to one of his friends, lshaq Bin Ammar, "Fear God as if you are able to see Him because He sees you. And if you think that He is not able to see you, then you become a non-believer. And if you believe that He sees you and you commit a sin in His presence, then you consider Him as the lowest of those seeing you".

http://www.ourbangla.com/islam/stories/sm6.asp

I suppose the Super Ego is just another word for God.
I don't think God is supernatural. I think we are god, god intersests with all of us, some more than others. I think of the bell curve, out on the tailends are saints and monsters. Some intersect more than others. There is no reality except a statistical one? Wasn't there a movie about that called The Minority Report? I have not seen it but from what I have heard it sounds like that.

Thought police, the watchers in 1984 that scares the bejezus out of me. Is that what you were talking about? Then there is the internet of things which is scary too.

Article
Toward a Global "Internet of Things"
Print-friendly Version

By Steve Meloan, November 11, 2003

In the early 1990s, a small news item in Wired magazine described an obscure software product developed out of the University of Illinois. The application was called Mosaic, and it soon proved to be the "killer app" of the Internet. Within a matter of several years, an entire industry had been built around it and its successors. Mosaic was not the first application of its type, but it delivered a new paradigm of usability to the previously arcane task of "browsing" hypertext links.

Another potentially industry-defining technology recently emerged at the inaugural EPC (Electronic Product Code) Symposium, held September 15-17 in Chicago's McCormick Place The gathering marked the official launch of the Electronic Product Code Network, an open technology infrastructure developed by a global consortium of companies and researchers.

http://java.sun.com/developer/technical ... erce/rfid/
Last edited by stilltrucking on March 22nd, 2006, 9:24 am, edited 9 times in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 22nd, 2006, 8:56 am

When homeboy was at Huntsville the head psychiatrist had the idea of installing curtains on each prisoners cell. He thought it would be good to give the guys some privacy. The guards were scared shitless of the guy. They said he was nuts. They said that they could be walking by one of those private cells when somebody poked a stick out with a knife tied to the end.

I spent four years in the jail at Atoka Oklahoma. It was only four days in reality but I am so dam claustrophobic because of Crazy Mike's punishments when I was a kid. (May he rest in peace)? But I grateful for the genes I have. I must be smart to have lived this long as crazy as I am.

I think I am missing your point. Do you think we are noble savages? We don't need watching? They say you can leave a wallet full of money laying around in Saudi Arabia and nobody will steal it. No body is more protective of their freedoms that the English. They say London has more cameras per square foot than any city in the world. Truckers believe the anti counterfeiting magnetic strip in the money is there so the IRS can tell how much money they have in their pockets. Now we got those computer chips being embedded in the skin for medical reasons. I suppose eventually we will be just things on a world wide web of things. Who knows” "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows."

I am just a typing fool this morning. Sorry Clay

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 22nd, 2006, 9:12 am

They say Freud changed his mind about the pleasure principle in a boring little book called Beyond The Pleasure Principle. He posits a "death instinct" It sounds pretty Buddhistic to me, but I dont know jack sh*t about Buddhism or Freud.

Where is Genghis Kahn when we need him?

Those guys with the one percent on their motor cycle jackets are probably his progeny.

How many men in prision have the double Y? I just picked up Who Needs Men. Not sure if I will read it, just browsing but she is pretty funny. Our poor little Y up against the mighty X. But those guys with the YYX sure give it a beating.

You know Clay I am a sloppy writer, my cop out is I am old, I got no time for this. But all these English Majors on Studio Eight watching this crap I post have made me try to be more careful. My hope is that they ignore me.

Got dam it somebody help me. Shoot my computer cause I am out of control here.

Diana Moon Glampers

Post by Diana Moon Glampers » March 22nd, 2006, 5:06 pm

I am not a survivor. It would have been a death sentence for me Clay. One way or the other. Dead.

You write about it with such control. I am happy that you are a survivor.

There was a hell of a fight in my sock drawer today.

The do not delete faction won out. :roll:

Speaking of sock puppets I wonder what happened to Norman?

I hope he is okay. I have seen him for a long time.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”