We're Not In Alaska Anymore, Toto

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » October 2nd, 2008, 3:45 pm

http://www.biography.com

for release 10-02-08
Dallas, Texas
by Lighting Rod

It's long been a part of American mythology that our leaders come from the people. As Jefferson envisioned it, our leaders would be amateurs. They would be farmers and shopkeepers and small-town lawyers and soldiers who would give an amount of time to public service and then go back to their usual occupations.

Even in Jefferson's time this was a fantasy, an ideal. As a fledgling nation we soon developed a professional political class. They were chiefly rich landowners who were masons. Ben Franklin started out as a printer's apprentice and when he died he was a revered scientist and statesman and the most popular and respected world celebrity since Voltaire. It's the stuff of the American Dream.

Sarah Palin should cash in on this classic myth. She is a self-made person, a pioneer from the hinterlands of Alaska who has made good. She's been in the PTA and she was a hockey mom. How American.

Or maybe she is like Marie Antoinette who was an imported bride designed to sex up the monarchy. Marie could have perhaps avoided the guillotine if she would have provided bread instead of delivering zingers about eating cake.

In Texas we call it horse sense. Your horse doesn't know the ABC's, doesn't know geography or world affairs. But your horse can smell a rattlesnake. You can call it common sense or instinct. It doesn't depend on schoolbook information.

It only recently occurred to me that Sarah Palin has a voice much like Judy Garland's in her depiction of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. Classic niavete. She should stick to it, show herself as a complete innocent, a stranger in paradise, which she is in terms of national politics. The Poet's Eye sees that Sarah Palin needs to sell her horse sense, not her knowledge.

Who knew that Toto was a husky?

Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Bluebirds fly.
Birds fly Over The Rainbow. Why then, oh why can't I?
If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow, why oh why cant I?
--Arlen
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » October 3rd, 2008, 3:56 pm

You were there and you and you!!!! Then it was all a dream???? RIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGG that's the alarm clock set for November 4th!!!! I think she knows what it means!!!! America knew about it because they set it for her!!!!

Somewhere over Mt. Denali
Way up north
There's a land that I heard of
Once it was called Seward's Folly
Winters are cold it's true,
And the Governor just doesn't care
So she thinks her dream will come true.

Someday she'll wish upon one of stars in the Alaskan state flag
And wake up on a bridge to nowhere
Behind her is the reality that's catching up to her.
But her troubles won't melt away like the shrinking Arctic Circle
Away below the also disappearing permafrost
That's where you'll find her.

Snow flies.
It flies over Mt Denali.
But her troubles will not fly away!

If the snow flies
Beyond Mt. Denali
But her troubles wooooon't flllllyyyy awwwaaaayyy!
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 25th, 2009, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nazz

Post by Nazz » October 7th, 2008, 1:00 pm

Tina Palin is funny..

**wink**

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”