Bernie Madoff, We've Been Had

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » January 14th, 2009, 5:34 pm

for release 01-14-09
Dallas, Texas
by Lightning Rod

I'm watching them take Bernie Madoff to the Courthouse to be marched before a judge who will decide whether he shall be ensconced in his penthouse or in jail. The hearing for bail revocation is about to commence.

They are covering the progress of his SUV from helicopters. It reminds me of the famous low-speed chase. The procession is swamped by press and ill-wishers blocking intersections. The People don't like this guy. They want to see him hanged or at least in the pillory. After all, he stole Aunt Ethel's retirement fund.

The whole ritual is taking on a French Revolution flavor. I'm picturing Louis XVI in a cart on his way to the guillotine. The masses are ready and whetted for heads to roll. They've been living on potato peels for too long while the aristocracy eats cake.

OK, maybe that's too dramatic, but this guy is the biggest pop villain since OJ. He hasn't done any actual hands-on murders, the glove doesn't fit, but he has been credited with several second hand suicides and even Kevin Bacon is six degrees away from his chicanery.

I have to admit to a certain admiration for Bernie, being a criminal myself. One of the first rules of crime is that if you are going to break the big laws, then you shouldn't break the small laws. Don't drive a hundred pounds of cocaine across town if your tail light is out. And if you are going to break any law at all, it should be worth your risk. Shoplifting isn't smart.

So Bernie has my respect. At least he thought big. I have trouble imagining a billion dollars. I mean, that would keep me in cigarettes and beer for seven generations if the currency keeps it's value. But the idea that someone could steal 50 billion dollars is completely out of my criminal galaxy. It makes me feel like a small timer.

It seems that many of our modern aristocrats are forgetting the lessons of the French Revolution. Conspicuous consumption is not wise. Don't fly to Washington in your Gulfstream jet to beg for money. The people can take just so much of this and then you find your head in a basket.

It's better to drive a Prius and not steal more than your respectable five percent.

I would think that Bernie Madoff, who can't walk down the street to his house without people shaking their fists at him, would welcome a safe jail cell. The man is vastly unpopular. He wore a bulletproof vest to court.

Of course Bernie Madoff will take his rightful position in the Hall of Infamy. He'll be right up there with Al Capone and Jesse James, King George and The Great Train Robbery. The man will be in the Guiness Book for most money ever stolen in history (adjusted for inflation.)

Madoff has become the poster child for how the agents of the 'market economy' have exploited, no raped, our economy. Top down market economy makes about as much sense as the divine right of kings or a Ponzi scheme.

The Poet's Eye notices one remaining question: Where did the money go?

-----
Update
Bernie is at home tonight sipping B&B.

Famous Bastards

troubled world
ain't it sad
famous bastards
we've been had

sons of whores and thieves
step up receive
obesity in the breadline
mad monoloquearhymists
(mumbling)
all mumbling their formulas

if only if only if only
if only if only if only
if only if only if only.....if only when
confounded void

confounded voice
all sight unseen
all sound unheard

http://studioeight.tv/musicpost/LR/04%2 ... stards.mp3

Barry Gremillion
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

tonyc

Post by tonyc » January 14th, 2009, 9:34 pm

I wondered that too, how did he blow 50 billion dollars...I concur, where did the money go?

tonyc

Post by tonyc » January 15th, 2009, 3:18 am

That's enough money to build four of the USS George H.W. Bush Aircraft Carriers.
How in the hell do you make four of the largest carriers in history disappear?
Wait a minute each carier costs 6. 2 billion which means that's eight carriers.
http://www.voanews.com/english/American ... 1-voa1.cfm

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”