Dope is Dope

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Dope is Dope

Post by Lightning Rod » January 28th, 2005, 4:55 am

"c'mon suckers, take our purple pill."

Dope is Dope

Whether it comes from terrorist drug lords in Columbia or Mexico or whether it comes from Glaxo or Merke or Pfizer, dope is dope. I don't care if you get it from homey down on the corner shaking a handful of rocks or from your favorite croaker with a script pad that never sleeps, it's dope.

Americans spend an absurd $200 billion a year on prescription drugs. That's approximately three times what all the crack heads in the World pay for cocaine.

In 2003 the Fortune 500 drug companies made profits of 14.3 percent of sales, the median for all other industries was 4.6 percent for that year. Any dope dealer knows that it is a fabulously profitable industry. For the past twenty years, it has been the most profitable industry in the world.

Sure, you hear these fairy tales about how the drug companies are tirelessly doing research and development and R & D is vewy vewy expensive and that's why you are paying through the nose for the drugs you need. But it's because they have your health in mind, doncha know?

Rubbish.

What they have in mind is the same thing any dope dealer cares about--profits. That's why the cartels spend roughly three times as much of revenues on promotion and advertising as they do on research. The next time you see one of those slick commercials on the evening news that rhapsodizes about how the beneficent and valiant researchers at Glaxo or Bristol-Myers Squibb are coming up with new miracles every day that will save your life or make for a 'longer lasting experience' or cause you to win the Tour de France six years in a row, consider this: In 2002 the FDA approved seventy-eight drugs only seven of which contained new active ingredients classified as improvements over existing ones. None of these were developed by American companies. Seventy-one of them were 'copycat' drugs aimed at large proven markets. Now, that's innovation for you.

While the cartels tell you that all their money is going into R&D, the fact is that most of the drug research from which they benefit is done by government, universities, and small biotech companies. They spend their real money on slick, feel-good advertising and buying legislators and FDA officials. Any cursory viewing on any tv channel will tell you that the cartels own the evening news. They spend so much money on advertising that the news organizations feel obligated to broadcast industry press releases disguised as news stories. Whole diseases have been invented this way.

When an evil Columbian drug lord or an L.A. street dealer sells you dope at a hundred percent markup, you can understand why. It's a risky business. You are paying for the risk. But he doesn't try do tell you it's because of R&D. When the CEO's at Lilly or Johnson & Johnson make a hundred million a year selling you dope that you probably don't need, you have to wonder who the real drug lords are. You can always spot the dope dealer on the block. He's the one that wears the gold chains.

If Pfizer or Wyeth could figure out a way to patent marijuana or cocaine, those substances would be legal so fast it would make your head swim. But since they can't profit from the sales of medicinal pot, for instance, they use their lobby power to keep it illegal. In the dope business, that's called turf wars.

Any dope dealer knows that the best way to remain in business is to pay the Man. That's what the cartels do as well. They pay the Man. In this case the Man is not the cops in the local narc squad, it's the FDA and the Congress. The benefits of paying the Man are great. The FDA and patent office hand out virtual monopolies on drug sales. The Congress just granted the pharm industry a giant windfall in the form of the Medicare prescription drug benefit. Guess who it benefits?

I won't even get into Vioxx, which may have killed thousands with FDA approval. They want to sell you cock enhancers and at the same time sell you cox inhibitors. And you buy it. Go figure.

The Poet's Eye needs a drop of Visine. Ooops, that's made by Pfizer. Excuse me, I only buy my dope from honest street dealers.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Toerag

Purple pill?

Post by Toerag » January 28th, 2005, 8:46 am

Purple ousley?......yea, that was really something....like Jimmy's haze but smoother....how are ya 'Rod?

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » January 28th, 2005, 12:41 pm

oh yes, purple owsley

I think I would rather depend on the Hell's Angels for my dope than Merke

doing well, toe

(just a little beat up from having to take a training seminar for the last two days. I have too much ADD to be comfortable sitting in a chair all day with no beer and cigarettes)

The Poet's Eye

picasso

yep

Post by picasso » January 28th, 2005, 3:23 pm

Fucking great article, Clay. My friend who doesn’t watch TV spent time with her family this year over the holidays she was subjected to a lot of TV watching. And the main thing that stood out to her was all of the commercials that bombarded the air waves for pills. They don’t even tell you what the pill is for. Just that it’s good and can make you feel like yourself again.

I must admit that I myself am on an anti depressant. For me they counter act the horomone effect that the birth control pill has on me. But yet it’s another pill. I’ll be happy when I’m in my menopause years and don’t have to deal with any of it. But I’m sure they’ll have a pill for that by then too.

Oy.

~jolee
Conformity--
Proudly Seving
Painfully
Boring People
Since Time
Began

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » January 28th, 2005, 3:37 pm

pic

It's great to see your face here.

Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, soon there will be pills that you need to take
before you take your pills.

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » January 28th, 2005, 8:33 pm

where are you posting these 'eye's, eh?

darn good, clay, no matter what perezoso has to say! :wink:

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » January 28th, 2005, 9:26 pm

Man this is a great article Lrod...right on the money.
Yeeeeeehawwwwww! The truth always makes me feel better.

By the way, i've been referring your column to a friend of mine who is Editor in Chief of the Minneapolis paper...tribune I think it is,
he's a bigwig anyway, he's visited the studio here, thinks it's a great site......he's always pretty busy though.
I'll be sure and refer him this one. It sure is amazing how afraid the media is to print the truth, but I'm workin on it thanks to articles like this from you.....
I'm gonna send it to him right now....

Bravo Lrod!
H 8)

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » January 29th, 2005, 10:47 am

thanks, cec
yes, you can find the whole list here:

http://www.studioeight.tv/LR/Thepoetseye.html

Hest, thanks for passing it on. I've been trying for syndication in print. I'm preparing a package for Creator's Syndicate this weekend. They syndicate some great people like Molly Ivins.

You might want to send your friend to the link above because it has close to a year's worth of The Poet's Eye issues.

The Poet's Eye

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”