'Scuze Me While I Kiss the Sky

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

'Scuze Me While I Kiss the Sky

Post by Lightning Rod » February 1st, 2005, 10:53 am

"No joke, it's a democracy."

If you had to be patted down and walk through three layers of razor wire in order to get to the polling place and then worry about mortar shells or car bombers striking you while you voted, would you consider it to be a free and fair election? I don't think so.

This week, according the the NY Times, President Bush went on record as saying that if the duly elected government of Iraq asks that US forces leave, we will do so. That sounds like an invitation to me. It would be a graceful exit from a quagmire for this administration. They can't help but recognize the blunder of the Iraq adventure.

Besides, we have accomplished our mission. We have secured the Iraqi oil fields for the benefit of our corporate buddies. Now we can proceed to the colonial phase. How do we do this? We set up a puppet government, then we declare elections. Elections held under the barrel of a gun are not free, no matter how much Bushco wants to declare victory, there is no democracy in Iraq. Not yet.

What we are seeing is classic colonialism. When the British invaded India they did exactly the same thing we are attempting to do in Iraq. They trained a police force/army of natives commanded by British officers. This puts a native face on the occupation. It also makes it possible to secure the resources of the colony without having to expend so much manpower.

The Bush administration is obviously traveling the path of colonialism. It would be very convenient for them to be asked to leave by a 'duly elected Iraqi government'. It would give them an excuse to cut their losses in Iraq and free up the manpower to pursue other adventures.

What we have seen in Iraq this week is truly heartening. The pictures of purple fingers pointed defiantly to the sky were a joy to observe. Humans will generally strive for freedom and independence. President Bush is correct in this assertion. What the neo-cons fail to recognize is that holding a ceremonial election is not a novel thing to the Iraqis. Saddam held elections and got 99% of the vote. I say let's wait a year or two before we declare democracy in Iraq.

George Bush's almost maniacal inaugural address asserting that America was going to liberate the world made me wonder if he or his minions had ever cracked a history book. Each time this country has ignored the admonition that George Washington gave in his farewell address, to avoid foreign conflicts and entanglements, we have suffered.

When we intervened in the Phillipines we got Marcos. When we intervened in WWI Europe we got Hitler and WWII, When we intervened in Cuba our reward was Batista and then Castro. When we intervened in Viet Nam we got ten years of grief and death and a marble wall covered with 56, 000 names. When we intervened in Chile we got Pinochet. When we intervened in Iran we ended up with the Ayatollahs. The idea of spreading freedom at the point of a gun has always shown dismal results.

You don't enforce freedom. You teach freedom.

Democracy only works when there is a well informed and involved population. Some of the Iraqis voting in this election had to be read the ballots. They didn't even know who was running for what office. Just putting a purple fingerprint on a ballot and stuffing it in a box does not a democracy make.

Despite the encouraging turnout in the Shia and Kurdish regions, the Sunnis have been staying away in droves. This looms as the spoiler for an effective Iraqi democracy.

According to Associate professor of history at St. Norbert College, Robert Kramer:

"Despite their numbers, these are the people who for centuries have been the economic elite of the country ... the political, the military and intellectual elite of the country. So they can't be left out of the political equation without enormous consequences."

The Poet's Eye sees blossoming hubris in the foreign policy of the Bush administration.

After more than two-hundred years, we have not perfected our democracy. We are still working the bugs out. Yet Bush and Co. are going to patent the imperfect and franchise instant democracy throughout the world. These idiots expect a four-thousand year old culture to turn on a dime and give birth to democratic values in a hot six months. C'mon, I was born at night, but not last night.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » February 1st, 2005, 2:12 pm

Well, this is certainly right on time. There's a post up in the current events page by the scotsman about an english post comparing the iraqi election to those in south vietnam with colonel ky's run for persidunce whille war was trippin....
This one goes more directly at it.
Woody with a poiple finger,
passion in any language
or in his case,
anti passion.

The essential truth is that of colonialism. We do that in various ways, more subtle now, as with the Phillipines, and never more forcefully so as now with Iraq. The old colonial empires started with explorers and with trading companies, incorporated entities accompanied by soldiers and priests. Deals were made with the local elites and the heirarchy was left intact, reinforced by the ever growing strength of the colonial apparatus until the occopied country had its wealthy elite, a military-administrative class, and a stunned and impoverished peasantry.

In Iraq there is an old history and the old art that was destroyed along with the destruction of the ruling junta. The "collateral" damage this country has suffered for this "cleansing" of Saddam's Baath regime is justified by the recent Iraqi elections, where more than 60% of the entire population turned out. Or is it?

The prezidunce will be saying just that, but without referring to the collateral damages, the ongoing suffering, as he inherently believes that the cost was worth it.

Is there really a deception going on here?
We will never know the acurate picture of the civilian costs to Iraqis of this war.
Some would say, it is a done deal.

I don't think we can colonize Iraq completely. Oh the Kurds, sure
and around Basra way down south, Shihite land
where the Brits hang their hats, the port
but the center-north
may pout for a while.

I mean, tactically it all seems to be working
tho ya may rail about the cost
it ain't lost
an infact
the empire may very well win
this one for awhile

on vets for peace there is a run about counter-recruiting
not exactly sedition
at least not yet

thanks for your timely poet's eye on this one, have been waiting.
STOP will forward this one to community radio news director
rob@wmnf , Mr. Dori
Last edited by jimboloco on February 2nd, 2005, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » February 1st, 2005, 3:14 pm

jimbo,

yes, I read bennie's article

and thank you for your incisive response

the colonial aspect of this sitch is larger than many of us realize

I'm reminded by your post that the terrain in Nam was much the same--there was a ruling minority (the Catholics left over from the French occupation) and the Buddhist majority who set themselves on fire in the streets in protest.

I see something similar is about to happen in Iraq.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » February 1st, 2005, 5:31 pm

Thank you guys for these posts....
Everything is being touted as a WIN now but my own gut says it ain't over. Fact, far from it.

It's hard for me to stomach the newsmedia right now, and as far as the State of the Union address tommorrow, I don't think I'll be able to watch it without throwing up.

One thing for certain, you can't call a vote for liberty a genuine vote when it's made or not made, out of fear.

And yes, I don't think you can teach freedom any way, other than living it.......

Great stuff
thanks
H 8)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 2nd, 2005, 11:01 am

Looking forward to seeing these syndicated in print.

You definitely, as usual, have a Poet's Eye!

Thank you!

http://www.iacenter.org/iraqelection.htm

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » February 4th, 2005, 10:03 am

succinct and to the point
amen
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

GordonWilson

Post by GordonWilson » February 7th, 2005, 7:07 pm

good one, clay. liked this one a lot. i've pasted the link to my email buddies - i really think it nails the issue. well done, amigo.

be well,
gordon
Learn before you vote. Politicians lie.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”