Running On Empty

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Running On Empty

Post by Lightning Rod » April 15th, 2005, 11:14 am

"Get your act together or face doom."

Running On Empty
for release 04-15-05
Washington D.C.

Recently the United Nations Millennium Ecosystem Assessment returned its report. The four-year, $24 million study involving 1,360 scientists from 95 nations concluded, after examining extensive data including satellite photos and field surveys, that we have used up, trashed or otherwise destroyed about 60 percent of available farmland and forests and fish and fresh water on the planet. Not a pretty picture. Especially with the world population at over six billion and growing.

Thomas Malthus, in 1798, just years after the inception of our Republic, predicted what has become known as the Malthusian Catastrophe. He said that population was going to outstrip food production and that there would be widespread famine and death and the population would be forcibly reduced. As we know, this didn 't happen. The population of the world has increased four-fold since then, and babies are still welcome and there is food in the supermarkets. Malthus didn't foresee small things like the Industrial Revolution and the associated green or agricultural revolution. The harnessing of steam power and later petroleum power has spared us the Malthusian Catastrophe. Until now.

James Kunstler's article in the Rolling Stone delineates the Peak Oil situation and it's likely ramifications. If you are interested in what your life will look like in several years go here.

If we are to believe the Peak Oil prognosticators and the scientific priests, our collective environmental credit card is maxed out and we are about to have to pay the proverbial piper. Our agricultural system is propped up by cheap petroleum. Without the cheap petrol to run our threshers and our tractors and our irrigation pumps and without the fertilizers and chemicals that power our food machine and without the fuel to power the trucks that bring the produce to market, we are likely to experience more discomfort than simply having to park our SUV's when the real crunch happens. We might have to learn to grow our own food. And in my case, brew my own beer and cultivate my own pot.

I don't really want to write on this subject because I'm afraid I'll start to sound like Thomas Malthus. The only reason I even mention this is because I have a one year old grandchild. I've lived it up like the rest of us all my life on cheap energy charged on Mother Earth's own credit card. But, according to the experts, the bill is about to come due. Is the world really going to come to an end when we run out of cheap oil? I doubt it. But our lives could change substantially.

For several years now, I have been listening to talk about Peak Oil and I mostly viewed it as alarmism. But these days you can't drive past a gas pump without noticing that there is something going on in the oil business. Gas is $2.50 a gallon (that's more than Perrier Water.) Oil was selling for sixty dollars a barrel last week.

I grew up in the West Texas oil patch. My family was supported by the oil business. I watched wells being drilled and looked at drilling samples and seismic logs scattered around the house. Intermediate Texas Sweet Crude was $3.35 per barrel in those days, but the dollar ain't what it used to be. Around about 1970, the US hit domestic peak oil. Our domestic production began to decline and we had to rely more heavily on foreign oil. This was partially due to depletion of the resource and partly a result of a geo-political decision made by the oil companies. There is still a massive amount of oil locked in the limestone under Texas but it is much easier and cheaper to get oil out of the sand in Saudi Arabia. So, the oil moguls decided to just leave the oil under Texas and suck on the easier straw in the Middle East.

That might have been a wise business decision at the time. But what the oil execs failed to foresee was that the major oil hogs on the block, the US and Europe, weren't the only pigs around. In case you haven't noticed, the people in India and China that used to get around on bicycles and rickshaws are now driving SUV's too. We find ourselves in another Malthusian situation where the demand for the product is increasing while the production is declining.

What does this mean? It means that we are going to have to change our lifestyles. And I'm not talking about flimsy gestures like recycling our cans and plastic bottles. And I'm not talking voluntary either. What do you do when there is no gas at the pump and no potatoes in the market? You grow your own potatoes and get a bicycle. Or you could sit in your SUV and listen to Rush Limbaugh on the radio until the battery runs out. Regardless of what you do, your life is about to change.

What kind of changes? Oh, small ones at first. No long distance car vacations. Carpooling perhaps. Then there will come a time when it costs you a hundred bucks a day in gas just to commute to work, so you'll have to decide if it is worth it to get up in the morning. Ok, so you go to the grocery store and there are four hydroponic tomatoes on sale for nine dollars apiece. They came all the way from Chile and gas ain't cheap. Instead of paying the Chem-Lawn guy to come out and fertilize your St. Augustine grass you might need to consider ripping it out and planting okra. Just small changes

The sad part about this situation is that we who occupy the modern industrial world are so strung out on a single commodity, the junk we call oil, that we are in too much of a stupor to see that what we have here is not an energy crisis, it's an ingenuity crisis. This is the Universe, people. It's made out of energy. We can get it from the sun, the wind, the plants, the tides and the atom. George Bush might even know how to pray for it.

The Poet's Eye doesn't see the imminent downfall of civilization because of the oil crunch, but there are going to have to be adjustments. Oil won't be gone in my lifetime but my grandchild will not likely drive an SUV. I hope she is lucky enough to have a moped and solar energy in her house.

<center>In sixty-nine I was twenty-one and I called the road my own
I don’t know when that road turned onto the road I’m on

Running on - running on empty
Running on - running blind
Running on - running into the sun
But I’m running behind---Jackson Browne</center>
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » April 15th, 2005, 2:38 pm

Oh if only Thomas Malthus could see what is going on now!!!!
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 13th, 2009, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

sooZen

Post by sooZen » April 15th, 2005, 7:17 pm

Lrod...was in the process of getting ready to take a shower, clean up for the evening and thought I'd read my email first and here I am, thanks to your Poet's Eye landing there. So you are directly responsible for this rant. :wink:

I must admit that I understand what you are saying but find something amiss in 'our' priorities, us being humans. Our lifestyles are threatened, whether or not we will have or have not, but that to me is just another smokescreen for what is really happening on this blue rock we exist on.

Because we are egocentric, mostly and solely concerned with our well being, the rest of life can be damned and it is. "WE" (humans) are not interested in controlling our populations, "WE" are blase' when it comes to the well-being of anything below us on the intelligence scale for those creatures are here for our use or abuse...and certainly not as important as "WE".

Most likely, in our lifetime, not just your grandchild's...there will be no more elephants, rhinos, great apes, and many other creatures living wild. "OUR" comforts are most and more important though and that is what scares "US"...that we will have to do without, in the meantime, let's use it up as fast as we can without considering the alternatives or the reality.

Cougars and grizzlys don't have an even chance in the rulebook of human judgement because "WE" of course, are more important and they are only animals. So our diversity will disappear, we will doom ourselves by our very appetites or apathy. Those tomatoes you speak of will not include all the varieties that nature offers for only the hard, transportable, tasteless balls that are akin to a real tomato will exist.

As for the wonderful diversity on this planet...well, I can imagine the day where only our grandchildren's children will be around to fight over what little is left.

Until we can elevate the well being of all of nature to the heights that we now enjoy, might as well move over for the cockroach will be on the top of the pile.

Now back to your regular program of oil prices, jobs and politics...
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » April 15th, 2005, 7:44 pm

Another sharp piece, elRod, and one that made me think of a long article I stumbled upon many months ago that basically claimed Peak Oil as to the reason Bushco went to Iraq, something many have assumed since the get-go, but so many others turn a blank face to... but that is another rant. :wink:

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 16th, 2005, 11:25 am

There is still a massive amount of oil locked in the limestone under Texas but it is much easier and cheaper to get oil out of the sand in Saudi Arabia. So, the oil moguls decided to just leave the oil under Texas and suck on the easier straw in the Middle East.
Lets take a motorcycle trip out west and take a last look at the Rocky Mountains. Shale oil.
Most likely, in our lifetime, not just your grandchild's...there will be no more elephants, rhinos, great apes, and many other creatures living wild.
Right on sister, civilization we all make our own, but “Lions and tigers and bears. Oh my!” I am probably Just a wacko tree hugger, but I shudder to think of the lonely earth we are creating for our children. Up to our ass in people, so few teachers, so many priests.

I know I should spell check more but something like this makes me think there is truth in those slips

abstroint

Post by abstroint » April 16th, 2005, 7:17 pm

It's been a long time since I've had a chance to come by here to read. I've been digging a well in my backyard and I'm taking a break today while I consider the immediacy of putting barbed wire around the hole. Glad I took the break. Great read.

Last week I went to listen to writer, activist, environmentalist Derrick Jensen speak. I'm still pumped about "Endgame: The Collapse of Civilization and the Rebirth of Community." I haven't read it yet but absolutely will be reading.

Our politicians as far as I've heard are not truly making any great strides exploring options other than war and drilling in our nations preserves. Nor do they seem to be trying very hard to find a way to make the alternatives work. Anyone know if any of our so called leaders are dedicated to finding other energy sources? We really are running out. Ten years ain't all that long.

I think I'll keep smoking cigarettes and by up land to give to my son.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » April 18th, 2005, 9:29 am

there is a fledgling Green Party. The Democrats are losers.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

abstroint

Post by abstroint » April 21st, 2005, 10:27 am

Yes, green is good. Now tell me how to get more green for the green party cause green is the color, if the states must be colored, that I'd like to see. But they ain’t got the green. The problem with the green is if they don't have more green the majority doesn't get the message. They did have it I'd have to wonder what corporation was paying for the chance to screw the public.

I think the option is to make sure to prepare offspring with as much knowledge on self sufficiency as possible, how to live off the land with respect, in order to continue the relationship. That is, if we don't radiate all the land with nuclear fallout trying to steal resources that are going to run out but we weren't coming up with solutions in time. Because we were all busy watching it happen on all the networks. I say we because the only way to stop the destruction is for everyone to take responsibility for the actions. Otherwise it is too easy to disassociate from the facts by saying "I didn't do it.", allowing the continued rape of the planet and eventual extinction of not only a few fish in the sea, or rivers but our own species inability to adapt, evolution does not happen that quickly.

To conclude, Green isn't doing anything, unless the party is elected to the highest office, and even then they won't get much done because there is that problem with the House and Senate having to agree. I don't have anymore questions. Your answer was the best answer I could have hoped to receive.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 21st, 2005, 11:27 am

I am starting to think governments are losers

what is a NGO

I think we need more of dem tings

say abstroint
glad to see you still kicking

abstroint

Post by abstroint » April 21st, 2005, 12:55 pm

Glad to see you still coding messages, good, good

NGO’s
http://docs.lib.duke.edu/igo/guides/ngo/

abstroint

Post by abstroint » April 21st, 2005, 3:31 pm

I already see a problem with NGO's...too many groups fighting for the same things being heard separately, "Ours is a more pressing enviromental issue." "No, ours is"...Maybe a few mergers within the groups speaking on similar issues, and some mergers after that with those speaking on different issues but all for similar ends...then maybe the voices will be loud enough that they might be heard.

Ok. I've got to go tend to my compost pile.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 22nd, 2005, 7:50 am

10-4 on the code, happy that you noticed.
Maybe a few mergers within the groups speaking on similar issues, and some mergers after that with those speaking on different issues but all for similar ends...then maybe the voices will be loud enough that they might be heard.
The NGO's concerned with women and children, they have got to be heard, they better be heard, or it will be bad.

What ever happened to The Year Of The Woman?

i know it sounds like some bullshit male feminism, but I believe American women going to save the world. When security moms remember they got balls too.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”