OK Corral

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

OK Corral

Post by Lightning Rod » May 11th, 2005, 4:48 pm

OK Corral
for release 05-12-05
Washington D.C.

If I had lived in the Old West, I imagine myself as a Doc Holliday sort of character, a failed tubercular dentist gambler/gunslinger who swigs laudanum and has a financial interest in the local whore house. Ah, those were the glory days of medicine, when the only anesthetic was a slug of whisky and a leather strap clenched between your teeth.

But we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto. The healthcare industry, as we collectively refer to our modern day sawbones, is a massive and complicated and expensive racket. Powered by the dual dynamos of the insurance and drug companies, the industry has grown to gargantuan proportions. As our aging population desperately clings to life, we are willing to spend larger and larger proportions of our assets to avoid the discomforts of old age and to postpone our inevitable appointment with death.

Our nation is now spending about $1.75 trillion a year on healthcare, or 15 percent of gross domestic product. It consumes one-fourth of the federal budget, more than defense. Canada's national healthcare system only consumes about 10 percent of GDP and Canadians live longer on average than Americans.

The single largest reason for the escalation of our doctor bills in this country is the sheer unbridled greed of the pharmaceutical companies. They protest that their research and development expenses are astronomical when in fact most of that research is done by the government and besides the dope companies spend much more on promotion and marketing than they do on R&D. There is almost one drug sales rep for every doctor in the US. They manufacture a new pill that is magenta or shaped like a triangle and then they invent a disease that it will cure. Tune into the evening news sometime. Step right up. It's the medicine show. Doc Holliday would have recognized it immediately.

And then there is the technology. When Doc Holliday took a bullet out of a cowboy's shoulder he probably had no more technology than a hand-stropped razor. Now a doctor won't even think about making a diagnosis before he puts your body through a four million dollar MRI machine. Every time they invent a new medical torture or technique the cash register rings.

When Doc Holliday was diagnosed with TB, the medical professionals of the time told him that he had six months to live. He died fifteen years later. Medicine has advanced since then. Yes, it's nice to be spared the reaper's scythe by some new drug or technology, but we all know that it's only temporary. The House always wins in the end.

My partner wanted me to go to the doctor for a check-up several months ago. I told her that there was only one way to get me to a doctor. Break my leg. I don't trust doctors and I don't trust a system that is sucking our economy dry.

Is this a symptom of our cultural or human condition? We all know we are going to die. It's just a matter of sooner or later. But we hate this notion. It used to be that a person with kidney failure would be blessed by death. Now they have to endure dialysis or having a pig's kidney transplanted into their body. You can enjoy catheterization or respirators stuck down your throat or radiation or chemo where all your hair falls out and tubes and needles inserted into every orifice or if you don't have enough orifices they will tear you a new one. i've always wondered what the rewards of longevity are? The only answer that I've been able to come up with is--more old age and sickness.

The Poet's Eye drips a nostalgic tear for the days when men were men and doctors were more like the helpful and compassionate guy on Gunsmoke than the bureaucrats that they have become, enthralled with their insurance money line and their drug company sponsored golfing junkets. If I ever catch a bullet, I'm going to Doc Holliday. He had nothing to lose.

"Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a gentleman whom disease had made a frontier vagabond; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long lean ash-blond fellow nearly dead with consumption, and at the same time the most skillful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a gun that I ever knew."--Wyatt Earp, 1896

"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » May 12th, 2005, 9:11 am

Well, I agree about the greed, but may sanity prevail here.
I was down and out for many years, slept in flop houses and missions in New Orleans, Ft Worth, Phoenix, Eureka, New York City (the Bowery) and other lucky places. IN 1989 I tested positive for the TB antigen, as I wasbeginning my career in nursing. I could have stayed an outsider bum, not having a wit or a clue out of my abyssmal trough, and saw a way out and took it, nursing reclaimed me into achievement and right living.

Needless to say, I took anti-TB drug INH for 6 months. There is a companion drug called Rifampin. It works real good also. TB germs are not vulnerable to the normal healthy immune system. It can only encapsulate them, where they lie in wait. They can live for years, dormant, then emerge and scrape away the heaslthy tissues of the lungs and voila, hemoptysis! night sweats. weight loss. Why not take the cure, or better, kill them first before they break loose.EH?

Oh yeah, 10 billion in cuts for Medicaid. BTW my friend Jay just got a liver transplant. He had a congenital condition, lived with low platelets, fluid overload. 35ish. I don't know if I helped him, but a few months ago he'd been taken off the transplant list, overweight. It was easy to see, with a huge distended belly and swollen legs and bleeding scratches, he was living on borrowed time. He asked me for advice. We went over his med list.
One of his meds was aldactone, a potassium sparing diuretic, essential for those with liver disease, as his old liver was not making enough albumin, those little protein sponges that normally float around inside the blood stream, but without them, the intra and extra-cellular fluibd balance don't work, man, so the kidneys can't piss it off, and it accumulates elsewhere.

He stayed on his meds, placed himmself on a fluid restriction, ate healty, lost weight, got his transplant and is doing well, now our chapter leader, Vets for Peace, and yes also annoying as he calls and talks on and on and on while eating, slurping, etc, but HEY!
ain't life grand?

ME, I will be 58 in a couple of weeks.
Yes, I get my butt probed,, but with a doc I trust, a D.O. who is more into health, he also does c-spine manipulations for my wife.

I take Lipitor. Brought my cholesteral down. Diet didn't do it.
I have no side effects.

Finally smoked out, giving pot a break. Hid my brown ales in the closet away from me stepson.

Facing another day, wondering what I'll do with my energy.
As for gambling, well,
well be hitting the schools soon enough, gambling on parameters of liberty, yet risking as well, counter-recruiting. Not something I am looking forward too, but hey,
it's a good day to die.

It's showdown at the OK Corrall!
Oh, never mind.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » May 30th, 2005, 9:35 am

ah this morning am toking a couple of puffs, drank some coffee, took a cobra herb with kola nou, yojime, and stuff, a 50+ vitamino, and waiting for the rhapsody to begin, just me and suzie and the cats!

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » May 30th, 2005, 10:16 am

oh Kerizzt
we made it in the shower, after i told her, "thank goodness i took my yojimbe!" she goes, "you're funny!"

now i have to think about that colonoscopy i've been putting off! :)
dazz one for the tooth fairy! :wink:

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » May 30th, 2005, 12:27 pm

First:

Jim:

Don't put off the colonoscopy. It saved my life.

Just insist on full anesthesia. Some internists try to give you just a whiff, or do without it altogether, like dentists skipping novocaine and asking you to listen to Montovani records

http://publish.uwo.ca/~jpalmer/plo/plo.html

( see item #1 under "things we like")

instead.

As Woodie Guthrie said:

"I'm just hangin' around to see what happens next" . . .and I'm able to do so because cancer was detected, excised, and now I shall meet sixty years of age face to face this July.

That lucky break ( I had put off the test for years) allows me to continue doing what I'm visiting this planet briefly to do: make pictures. What a joy. Beats being where Doc Holliday is any day-- at least for a few more years.

So I must sound, LR, a little like the railroad engineer who was grateful for Hitler because the trains started running again.

I couldn't agree with you more about the medical profession. In California, at least, one also has to deal with the screen of know-nothing, minimum wage ( not their fault, of course), room-temperature IQ's who sit at the desk in front and curtain the doctor-- the Big One, from view.

Without a Single Payer Plan in this country, we' re screwed royal by every bottom-feeder up to the Top of the Medical Food Chain.

If I weren't lucky enough to have good health benefits as a retired teacher, I could never have paid for my hospital stay March a year ago, let alone my surgery, etc..

The ugly fact is, that when you are over fifty, like Jim, you and I are, your body begins to change a bit.

I had a heart attack and cancer ( with pernicious anemia) within five years of retirement. The medical profession saved my life. Before those post-retirement events, I avoided all medical check-ups and swallowed the pain and kept going with aspirin and booze and whatnot.

There comes a time, if you reach your mid-fifties, when you have to give medicine a nod, whether or not you have a heart attack and need a stent like our beloved Vice President ( he has four of them-- I only have one).

But medicine doesn't have to be a hyra-headed monster. As you argue, it ought to grow more benign as it becomes more sophisticated.

And something ought to be done about that layer of idiots between you and The Big Guy ( or, as in the case of my oncologist, The Big Girl.)

Zlatko

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 30th, 2005, 12:53 pm

I have to agree with you, elRod... but only half-way. The drug companies do have some beneficial drugs and they know it. It comes down to lack of compassion when they simply say that how much is your life worth..? Will you pay and pay and pay to stay alive, and if you do can you afford to pay it back without having a (another) stroke? It is a powerful business and made that way by mostly J.Q.Public... paying whatever they ask to do whatever they want however they want whenever they want (doctors giving cesarean births so they won't miss their golf day). The public just nods and whispers behind the backs of docs and drugs how awful they are.

I've known folks that have to go the doctor because their kid is constipated, when all the parents have to do is give the kid an enema. Others go because they have a headache. Too many people put doctors (and drugs) on a pedestal and the doctor/drug companies take advantage of that worship. It is the abuse of the med system and not the use that brings about its woes, IMHO.

Enough... if I continue I may seek medical advice. I have been to a doctor once in 40+ years and would like to make it a bit longer if possible. :)

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”