Jackson Trial--No Peeking, Now

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » June 6th, 2005, 10:10 am

for release 06-06-05
Washington D.C.

The Michael Jackson case has gone to jury. I don't know if the man is guilty or not. I don't know him and I didn't sit through the months of testimony in his trial. But I do have some experience with the justice system in this country. I know how skewed and arbitrary it can be. Trials, and especially show trials like the Jackson case are not so much about law and justice as they are about theatrics.

Frankly Scarlet I don't give a good goddamn whether or not Michael Jackson stuck his hands in some boy's Fruit-of-the-Looms. Certainly not enough to spend 10 million bucks of public money to put him in stocks in front of the courthouse. And that's just the wasted taxpayer money. It doesn't count the wasted efforts of the legion of reporters and news organizations that are covering this trial instead of doing their actual job, which is reporting news about real crimes like George Bush lying us into a war that has cost thousands of lives.

So, on the backdrop of the Supreme Court ruling last week which let Arthur Anderson off the hook after proven complicity in the Enron scandal which cost thousands of people their jobs and their pensions, we have the fabulously important issue coming to jury of whether or not Michael Jackson used vaseline.

The Poet's Eye has a tear for the American justice system. It's hard to tell if it's a tear of joy or a tear of sorrow. That's because I have mixed emotions about this subject. Our adversarial system of justice is great in theory, but in practice it stinks. Witness the Jacko trial. It has been a carnival, almost as bad as the OJ trial.

The Jackson trial is a particularly egregious example of what our justice system has become. A circus. Everybody has something at stake, a career, a fortune, freedom, a reputation. This is not Justice, this is theater, a public morality play.

To start with, we have two very different judicial systems, one for the rich and famous and one for john q average American. Just as in the case of healthcare, being wealthy or famous buys you a better deal. If you are Martha Stewart or Michael Jackson or John DeLorean, you are held to different standards than if you are a pedestrian in Dallas or Cleveland.

If you are to believe the prosecution in this case, Jacko is a sinister pedophile who spent millions building his home into an amusement park where he could lure young boys for the purpose of sexual predation. He is obviously a pervert according to Sneddon and crew, look what an eccentric lifestyle he has and just look at how he went from a wide nosed little black boy to the Phantom of the Opera. You just know there's something strange about the guy, plus he has all that money.

Michael Jackson was a sitting duck for a different kind of predator. When the mother of the young cancer victim who Jacko is accused of assaulting with a friendly weapon came into Sneddon's office with the accusations, I'm sure you could hear the slot machines go ka-ching, ka-ching. It was a marriage made in heaven, a career shake-down artist and a suburban small-town district attorney with political ambitions going after a rich, famous pop star who everyone thinks is a weirdo anyway. It was a potential publicity and economic bonanza. Visions of endless damage suits and book deals and movie rights were surely dancing in their heads.

That's the dark and sad part about the American justice system, it has very little to do with justice. It is a meat grinding bureaucracy that gobbles up people's lives and spits them out. District attorney's offices are hotbeds of political ambition and greed, and they use their powers to advance careers and to exact vendettas.

Let me tell you a story. It's about a guy I met in prison. He was doing time for rape. If there was ever anyone who didn't need to be in prison, it was this guy. He was harmless and gentle and he studied the Bible in the original Greek. Here was the situation: he had been dating his girlfriend for several years. They were both students at Abilene Christian University on the Lubbock campus. One night their heavy petting went to the next logical step and they did the wild thing. The next morning the chic starts having post-coital regrets and says something about the incident to her roommate. The roommate convinces her that she has been raped (bullshit) and the poor boyfriend ends up with seven years in the slam.

There is a native hysteria associated with sexual 'crimes.' Even in the joint, it's a stigma to be a sex criminal, especially a rapo or a pederast. Murderers get more respect than 'short eyes.' Every week we hear of twenty or thirty young American lives taken in the criminal war in Iraq. But instead of trying George Bush for murder, we are wasting millions to try a pop star who's worst possible crime was plying young boys with alcohol, and we don't even know if that is true.

The test for rape is consent, not age. If force or coercion or drug induced unconsciousness is employed it is rape at any age. I don't know about you, but I had sexual awareness and a sexual identity well before I was eighteen and legal. In case you haven't noticed, young girls these days reach menses as early as eight years old. That leaves ten years before they can have legal sex. Is something wrong with this picture? Real love is possible before the age of eighteen. Mary Kay LeTourneau and her young lover (now her husband) are an example of this. This young man was not raped, he was loved.

The Poet's Eye sees that we are all guilty of sex crimes. My right hand was raping me when I was ten. And I loved it. We express our guilt with elaborate and expensive exercises like the Michael Jackson trial. And then we have the gall to call it Justice.

"In America you can have all the Justice you can afford."--Lrod

to read other comments
Last edited by Lightning Rod on June 6th, 2005, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » June 6th, 2005, 10:57 am

Money like this gets all the justice that they need!!!! That and good press too!!!!
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 13th, 2009, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » June 6th, 2005, 11:04 am

Frankly, I don't give a good goddamn whether or not Michael Jackson stuck his hands in some boy's Fruit-of-the-Looms. Certainly not enough to spend 10 million bucks of public money to put him in stocks in front of the courthouse. And that's just the wasted taxpayer money. It doesn't count the wasted efforts of the legion of reporters and news organizations that are covering this trial instead of doing their actual job, which is reporting news about real crimes like George Bush lying us into a war that has cost thousands of lives.
Hey, if Michael Jackson stuck his hands or anything else in some boy's Fruit-of-the-Looms, it's a crime and he should go to prison for it. You cannot discount the fact that this would be a criminal act. It IS a "real crime" as real as any other crime. To suggest that it isn't, is criminal.

If you want to complain about the media frenzy and the amount of $ being spent on the trial, that's understandable.

But if you are attempting to defend Mr. Jackson by suggesting he is innocent....after you admit that you didn't hear the testimonies... OR... if you are implying that it doesn't matter at all if he's guilty of the charges or not because you don't consider it important.... Well, that's sad. Very.

If indeed Mr. Jackson has committed acts as a sexual predator... if indeed the charges of pedophilia are true, then he is a criminal and needs to pay the price of his crime(s).

Sure, the justice system isn't perfect. Sure, those with big bucks get a different system than the ordinary Joe. And it is entirely possible that the mother is making false accusations in order to make a buck.

BUT.... IF it's true, Mr. Jackson should be locked up and removed from society so he doesn't hurt any more boys. The glory of our justice system is that there obviously was ample evidence for someone to bring charges. This tells me that the case is important enough to be heard. They don't waste their time bringing charges against someone without evidence.

Let the system work. If you don't believe in the system, OK, fine, and if you think that they are spending too much money on it, fine, and if you think the media frenzy is too flamboyant, fine.... BUT if you think it's not an important enough case to try and dismiss the nature of the alleged offense as unimportant, than that's just plain negligent reporting. Sorry.

If the man is innocent, he should be found innocent. But if he is guilty, this is extremely important because if he is guilty, he has victimized a young man, he has abused someone.... and he should pay for what he's done.

Pedophilia must be stopped!

Please do not dismiss it as not a "real" crime.

It is all too real.

:(

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » June 6th, 2005, 11:11 am

Where ever the public spotlight shines thats where you'll the most attention to be these days!!!! I wish it never was that way at all!!!!
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 13th, 2009, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » June 6th, 2005, 11:50 am

Film director Roman Polanski, some of you may recall, fled the US after being indicted for sexually molesting a thirteen-year-old girl. He has never returned to this country, fearing a prison sentence.

The facts of the case are detailed here:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/po ... over1.html

and an argument concerning the connection between the morality of an artist and the quality of his work by film critic Jack Moore is advanced here:

http://mooremovies.com/essay-polanski.htm

Roman Polanski was awarded the Best Director Oscar by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences ( an American enterprise which is interlaced with European productions and artists) in 2003 for his film, "The Pianist", a powerful exploration of one man's experience during the Holocaust.

My personal feeling is that Roman Polanski is an extraordinary director who has made powerful and original films, from "Knife in the Water" and "Repulsion" through "Chinatown", "Rosemary's Baby", "Macbeth" and many others.

"The Pianist" is one of the most powerful, moving and mordantly convincing emotional portraits in depth of a man's confrontation with ultimate evil, his art, his family and his own demons and sense of morality I have seen.

It is impossible to believe that a man entirely lacking in morality could have directed such a film.

But the human condition, and particularly the male condition under the circumstances of sexual arousal, is far more intricately complex than snap judgments can determine, particularly judgments involving large sums of money.

Whether or not Michael Jackson is guilty I am unqualified to say. And whether, under the circumstances, a jury sequestered not far from me geographically, in the green-downed June Hills of Southern California, more heartbreakingly beautiful this year than I have seen them in the past decade, can make that decision accurately, is unknowable.

The society trusts the "justice" system, but "justice" is not an outcome in isolation. Kenneth Lay is not in prison, nor is Roman Polanski, who won an important award from his peers, nor is O.J. Simpson, who, acquitted by one trial, was convicted in a second. O.J. was first judged innocent, then guilty.

The sophistry of "justice" is difficult to assess.

My own feeling about the sexual molestation of children is that kids ought to be allowed to be kids, and not shoved into the caprices and consequences of sex relations before they are ready.

I introduce these complexities for the sake of general argument, not to prosecute my particular point of view.

Have at it . . .

Zlatko

GordonWilson

devil's advocate...

Post by GordonWilson » June 6th, 2005, 12:03 pm

well, lr, i typically tend to agree with your rants. in this case, i am especially in league, as i grow sooo tired of public fiascos such as the jackson trial.

however, much of the tone in your piece, as well as many other pieces you write on what's happening in pop culture or mainstream media, is criticising how much time we all spend watching it and reading it, etc... essentially, strip the details and your gripe is about how we all shouldn't support this agenda. but aren't you, yourself, completely and wholeheartedly supporting it by writing pieces about it? you always have your two cents about chandra levy or terri scheivo or michael jackson. so why shouldn't everyone else?

my point is that in even replying to your post, i as well am supporting this disgusting theater. i as well am contributing to that which i typically loathe and mock as the general public's complete waste of time, and misdirection of attention to what is truly important.

when people ask me what i think about jacko, or when i'm flipping channels and see it, i just skip it on by, and normally just reply to the person with something like, "it really isn't important, isn't my business, and i haven't the true relation to the case to be allowed an opinion". in this exception, i am contributing to it all, only to be able to wag my finger at you, as i think you are essentially adding to the frenzy by getting people thinking it's important somehow, even if your point is to say it's not! does that make sense?

anyway fuck off. go smoke a phat one in my honour, since i'm back at sea and can't do it for myself.

kudos,
gord-oh
Learn before you vote. Politicians lie.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » June 7th, 2005, 10:09 am

Your final line - "In America you can have all the Justice you can afford." closely parallels one of my own - "America is a free country... if you can afford it."

...and I think we are in tune to the way monies are spent in this country... the precedence of wealth over Truth, Justice and the American Wish.

Is it human nature or the American nature to be completely absorbed in the adoration and idolization of those that have made mega-bucks? We see that level of wealth as something that would somehow free us from all harm and evil, but yet when we see those same wealthy people at odds with the law, our envy turns to a level of revenge - "they get what they deserve!"... but what 'they' deserve is never dealt even-handedly as 'common man'.. because the uber-wealthy is un-common.

The wealthy pay larger amounts for their own happiness and freedom than the average person - that goes without saying, but in saying that... how much of our adoration/revenge is based upon that one word, "envy"... one of the "Deadly Sins" of human nature? There are far more super-wealthy people 'out there' than we will ever know but the media's spotlight is very narrow and just as envious as the rest of 'us' for 'we' are the media (plural of 'nedium'... that half-way place hah!).

enough

(pssst.... hey, buddy, you're damn good at starting controversy. :lol: )

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » June 7th, 2005, 1:57 pm

thank you all for your stimulating and thoughtful responses.

Below is a response that I received from one of my correspondents who prefers to remain anonymous.

------------

You almost mixed too much into this gumbo of a column.
Everything always has been for sale, now and before. The
majority of humid siphons are born with original greed. Did
I ever ask the theoretical question??...if you had $150,000
in a legal war chest during the days of your beef in Texas,
would you have spent it buying the best and staying free?
I think that I have mentioned this to you before, I don't
know who I borrowed it from. When anyone
goes off on the sanctity of american justice, I just
politely respond... 'there are not now or ever have been
any millionaires on death row'....
Now Clay, as far as your jail mate, I also have a question.
How many men in jail for rape say that they
are indeed absolutely guilty of cold-bloodedly raping
someone that was not a participant in any way whatsoever?
I've known 3 guys accused of rape, and in every case the
story the guy told, he claims that the chic was 100%
involved in the rape. I think that is a self deceptive
protective pattern to shift responsibility. A majority of
serial killers are well mannered, polite folk. So,when it
comes to human potential for doing fucked up shit, I
don't judge by the cover, that's all it
is, a cover. Why did they put homeboy in the joint in the
'70's for a first violation of what was then seldom a
time in the joint crime? Any priors? No money? I'm just
playing devil's advocate, but I do have pretty strong
opinion of rapists, both men and women, and abusers of all
kind beings that can not physically or mentally defend
themselves. Well, you were right to end the piece by ending
it with a the farcical 'we are all guilty of sex crimes'
quip. More than likely, we have all used sex to seduce and
possess others that we knew had a different idea or
different feeling about what the meaning of the moment was
that we willed to come about. And maybe all of us have been
guilty of the taking of intimacy as a casual event, which is
indeed a crime.
The justice system to the side, there are malintentioned
folk in our world, genuinely perverse abusers,
(not you nor I, of course), and folks that distort actual
events to suit their abusive self deceptions. And jail is
not the solution, it is sure as shit not the cure for any of
it. BUT, there is something compelling in the belief that
a wise group of caring equals (the jury) could try to
impress on the offending individual that other beings have
their sacred privacy and we may not infringe for personal
gratification without respecting the age, experience,
vulnerability and sensitivity of the other. Hmmm I sound
like I grew up in the book 'Island' by Huxley.....
Never mind america, just go out and fuck anything that
moves slow enough for you to catch... yep, that's what
umericun boys'n do fer fun, the rich'uns and the po'uns.
Jes' make sure you got enough money for the lawyers that
can get the best justice that your money can buy.

Anonymous as popcorn

The Poet's Eye

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » June 7th, 2005, 2:08 pm

I agree with you Doreen.

You know what irks me in all this....

Fuck the money!!!

What irks me is that there is even a shadow of doubt that what Mikey pulls in the comfort and privacy of his own room and bed with confused young boys is anything but wrong, wrong, wrong. Michael is obviously confused about himself.....it doesn't excuse him!

He's used his power, money and personna....mostly his personna... to hoodwink a lot of impressionable children -- and adults too but the looks of it -- into thinking that well, hey, maybe this kind of behavior of an adult towards children is acey deucy okay fine...well in a pig's fuckin' eye it is....in a pig's fuckin' eye.

Kids are confused enough as it is and shame on him for adding to it by his actions. Innocent!!!! How in God's name can it be innocent when a grown man invites little boys into his bed....where is the common sense? If anyone else did it there'd be a human outcry!!!

I don't frickin' get it!!!!

Fuck the money! Justice is justice and may it be served. No one -- I don't care how rich, famous, and powerful, or how poor and obscure -- should be allowed to prey on children.

I'm beginning to think this whole world is just one big farce!

Anyway, I always enjoy reading your poet's eye Lrod.

Just thought I'd add my little rant!
'Cause you know....some things piss me off!!!! :)

And of course, maybe he is as innocent as grass! Maybe pajama parties between grown men and little boys will soon be all the rage!!!! :shock: Maybe I'm the twisted one for thinking it could be anything but innocent!!!!! :roll: But I don't think soooooo!
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » June 7th, 2005, 3:03 pm

Thank you to the anonymous poster. Well said!

And mousey1 -
a big thanks to you, too!
I couldn't have said it better...

It's just so sad... it's sooooo sad that anybody would think there isn't something GRAVELY wrong with an adult person bringing children to his bed. How could that be OK? Mr. Jackson has admitted doing that. I think there should be a law against this even if nothing sexual happened. I mean, c'mon!!!!! It's just plain wrong. Period.

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » June 7th, 2005, 8:50 pm

Because I feel that the argument which has formed or half-formed here represents the kind of fearlessness that StudioEight evinces at its best, I can't just let this issue drop, or at least the aspects of this issue I've tried to highlight in LR's bifurcated thread.

I included ( in my last post) the background and theme of Roman Polanski's opposite-sex pedophilia, and the idea that the morality of the artist and the art he/she produces might be connected ( excuse the metaphor) somehow.

Here is some information about Allen Ginsberg and his membership in NAMBLA, as well as some comment on Ginsberg's own sexual proclivites and view of consensual sex between men and boys.

My personal view of Allen Ginsberg's poetry and prose, to get that out of the way, is that Ginsberg is a very solid and consistent artist of the highest caliber who wrote occasional junk-- that is, had lapses-- and had a good deal of the showman in him regarding how he presented himself to the world.

I am, however, much more impressed overall with Ginsberg than I am with Jack Kerouac. That's partly just a personal preference, but it's based on the quality of their work, the form it took, and the formal inventiveness to be found in the oeuvre of each writer.

I do affirm that Ginsberg wrote powerful, moving and original poems about the mental and emotional anatomy of his times -- e.g. "Howl" and "Wichita Vortex Sutra.""Kaddish" is also an incomparably strong personal look at the distintegration of a soul. I also think the poem transcends confession and makes a universal statement.

Unlike other readers of Ginsberg, I also like some of his late work.

If that seems too confusing or pompous a characterization let me simply say that I think these poems are masterpieces of the highest order.

I also love and have derived endless enjoyment from Ginsberg's Journals, which, in the main, ought to ranked just as highly as his poems.

I make all these claims about my affection for Ginsberg's work because I want it to be clear that I am an artistic partisan of his contribution to American art. I have arrived at this view slowly, over decades. I never taught Ginsberg to my students, though I taught Roethke and Lowell.

So much for my view of Ginsberg as an artist.

Now I introduce what, to some, is troubling about Allen Ginsberg-- his membership in NAMBLA and his advocacy of sexual relations between men and young boys.

NAMBLA's homepage will be found to contain apologetic letters on the subject of Rev. Paul Shanly's prosecution, a history of man/boy sex with some polemic by David Thorstad, and some interesting rhetorical flourishes by women writers as well.

I urge you to read as much of the material on this web page as interests you.

Here is NAMBLA's "Who We Are" statement:

(paste)

WHO WE ARE

WELCOME! The North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) was formed in 1978. It was inspired by the success of a campaign based in Boston's gay community to defend against a local witchhunt.

NAMBLA's goal is to end the extreme oppression of men and boys in mutually consensual relationships by:

building understanding and support for such relationships;
educating the general public on the benevolent nature of man/boy love;
cooperating with lesbian, gay, feminist, and other liberation movements;
supporting the liberation of persons of all ages from sexual prejudice and oppression.
Our membership is open to everyone sympathetic to man/boy love and personal freedom.
NAMBLA calls for the empowerment of youth in all areas, not just the sexual. We support greater economic, political and social opportunities for young people and denounce the rampant ageism that segregates and isolates them in fear and mistrust. We believe sexual feelings are a positive life force. We support the rights of youth as well as adults to choose the partners with whom they wish to share and enjoy their bodies.

We condemn sexual abuse and all forms of coercion. Freely-chosen relationships differ from unwanted sex. Present laws, which focus only on the age of the participants, ignore the quality of their relationships. We know that differences in age do not preclude mutual, loving interaction between persons. NAMBLA is strongly opposed to age-of-consent laws and all other restrictions which deny men and boys the full enjoyment of their bodies and control over their own lives.

NAMBLA does not provide encouragement, referrals or assistance for people seeking sexual contacts. NAMBLA does not engage in any activities that violate the law, nor do we advocate that anyone else should do so.

We call for fundamental reform of the laws regarding relations between youths and adults. Today, many thousands of men and boys are unjustly ground into the disfunctional criminal justice system. Blindly, this system condemns consensual, loving relationships between younger and older people. NAMBLA's Prisoner Program, with limited resources, works to provide a modicum of humanity to some of these people. Click here to find out more.

NAMBLA is a political, civil rights, and educational organization. We provide factual information and help educate society about the positive and beneficial nature of man/boy love. Become an active member! You can help in this historic struggle!

( end paste)

And here is a link to an article about Allen Ginsberg's advocacy of man/boy love and his membership in NAMBLA:

http://vikingphoenix.com/politics/parties/gnsbgmrc.htm

I have chosen to write about Allen Ginsberg under LR's discussion topic because Ginsberg is so esteemed by all who treasure the "Beat" contribution to American and world literature. Unless I miss my guess, he was one of the "gods" in the old LitKicks pantheon, along with Jack Kerouac.

Finally, here is a website giving a chart of the legal age for censensual sex by state in the US:

http://www.coolnurse.com/consent.htm

Well, what do all of you think?

Zlatko
Last edited by Zlatko Waterman on June 9th, 2005, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » June 7th, 2005, 11:43 pm

Z-ko

I met Ginsburg three times. All three times he hit on me. Ok, I was much prettier then.

I agree with you about his work. It was hot and cold. Sometimes I would be just amazed and at other times I would have to say, "Allen, please."

Your estimates of Polanski and Ginsburg are very accurate. And this could also apply to Jackson and DeSade.

Or even to Mohammed, who took a seven year old bride.

The Poet's Eye

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » June 8th, 2005, 12:55 am

Jesus.

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » June 8th, 2005, 11:14 am

Ruled by lust!

We all know how overwhelming lustful impulses can be. But there are obvious circumstances when these impulses must be curtailed.

Our anonymous respondent says it best for me....
we may not infringe for personal gratification without respecting the age, experience, vulnerability and sensitivity of the other.
Something's twisted somewhere when grown men seek a stamp of approval to have their way with young boys and their raging and oft-confused hormones.

There are enough willing adult companions.

These men are nothing more than predators.

The world's gone nuts! Give everyone their rights no matter how sicko, depraved and just plain wrong!!!! Inch by inch we're losing all of our sense of right and wrong.

Sheesh!!!!!!!
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

iblieve

Post by iblieve » June 9th, 2005, 12:59 am

I do agree that Bush is getting away with murder and war crimes. I think he should be serving time along with the rest of his administration. I am not as well spoken as you lightning rod but damn how can the people in America be so fucking blind.

As far as Jackson is concerned, hell he has enough money to appeal until he's too old to go to jail. I can also relate to legal troubles in Texas, damn never go through northeast texas on the interstate with your stash of crystal meth. An ounce cost me a fortune and I was lucky to leave with just probation but once again i knew how to play the legal game and spent the money for a lawyer who could buy the prosecutor and the judge. Its the American way. Now I stay straight and write poetry. Thanks for leaving the link to this at DARC. iblieve
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/iblieve/9e35dd63.gif[/img]
iblieve
DARC Poet's Society.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”