Lazy, Hazy, Crazy

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Lazy, Hazy, Crazy

Post by Lightning Rod » June 12th, 2005, 9:54 pm

Summary Summery Summary
for release 06-13-05
Washington D.C.

While the boys and girls inside the Beltway get down to their serious Summer Stealing, the rest of America is looking for more entertaining diversions than worrying about chasing the foxes out of the hen house.

We're tired of hearing about Tom DeLay having both hands in the cookie jar and if he could grow another one it would be in there too, or whether or not the intelligence that got us into this pointless war was cooked. We would rather hear about Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes being all gushy in love and finding true happiness via May-September sex and Scientology. We want light beach-reading novels and Summer blockbuster movies that will be forgotten by the Fall. We don't want to consider the fact that the Bushies have sold out to the oil cartels on the global warming agreements, hell it's Summertime, we Want global warming, right?

We've had it up to the gills with Social Security reform or watching our
pension system crumble before our eyes because our government is more concerned with the interests of big business than with the interests of its citizens. We're sick of hearing about those pesky road-side bombs in Iraq and about those evildoers in Iran and Korea who even as we speak are assembling nukes that are waiting to be either loaded on rickshaws or camels, which represent the states of their respective delivery systems. We want to think about beer and barbeque and the beach.

We don't want to think about imminent terror, the porosity of our ports
and borders, no, we want to hook the jet-ski or the four-wheeler trailer
up to the back of our big bad SUVs and make for the lakes and to hell with the price of gas. If we really want an orgy of fuel burning we can go to a Nascar race where we can sit on a tailgate with the charcoal and gas fumes in the air and the engines blasting louder than a Howard Dean speech in an ecstatic groan of clattering pistons. This is Summertime.

You know, those lazy, hazy, crazy days of Summer when all the kids are off visiting their non-custodial parents and Disney World is a teeming mass of vacation crazed step-parents in Hawiian shirts and ghastly shorts that are as frenetic and meaningless as the latest action movie epic.

Oh yes, these are the days of slathering sun-blockers and mosquito repellent and mowing lawns and watching reruns on television. It's the season when the gentlemanly stand-up sport of baseball is ascendant over the crass contact of football. These are the dog days when we eat our hotdogs while our legislators take first base on balls and then steal second, third and home.

By the time the World Series rolls around we will have a new Hummer version of the rights-stealing Patriot Act, probably will have dumped another fifty or sixty billion down the black hole of Iraq and maybe will even have acquiesced to cuts in Social Security. It should be a grand Summer.

We can just turn off the television and the radio and the internet and forget about troublesome things like our officials using the Koran for toilet paper at Gitmo or rights abuses in Afghanistan or wherever it is that they take people to abuse their rights, and we don't want to hear about the plight of non-vacationers in Darfur Sudan or rampant AIDS in the rest of Africa, no no no no no. It's Summertime and the livin' is easy.

The Poet's Eye squints in the mid-June brightness, and hopes that the pirates don't burglarize our houses while we are on vacation. They don't even need a warrant anymore.

Just fill your basket full of sandwiches and weenies
Then lock the house up, now you’re set
And on the beach you’ll see the girls in their bikinis
As cute as ever but they never get ’em wet

Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer
Those days of soda and pretzels and beer
Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer
You’ll wish that summer could always be here

----as sung by Nat Cole, words by Charles Tobias and music by Hans Carste
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » June 13th, 2005, 10:48 am

There's that Don Henly song "The Boys Of Summer."

Nobody on the road
Nobody on the beach
I feel it in the air
The summer's out of reach
Empty lake, empty streets
The sun goes down alone
I'm drivin' by your house
Though I know you're not at home

But I can see you-
Your brown skin shinin' in the sun
You got your hair combed back and your sunglasses on, baby
And I can tell you my love for you will still be strong
After the boys of summer have gone

I never will forget those nights
I wonder if it was a dream
Remember how you made me crazy?
Remember how I made you scream
Now I don't understand what happened to our love
But babe, I'm gonna get you back
I'm gonna show you what I'm made of

I can see you-
I see you walkin' real slow and you're smilin' at everyone
I can tell you my love for you will still be strong

Out on the road today, I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac
A little voice Inside my head said, "Don't look back. You can never look back."
I thought I knew what love was
What did I know?
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but-

I can see you-
You got that top pulled down and that radio on, baby
And I can tell you my love for you will still be strong

I can see you-
You got that hair slicked back and those Wayfarers on, baby
I can tell you my love for you will still be strong
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 13th, 2009, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » June 13th, 2005, 11:54 am

it's an interesting look into pop culture and how it has potential if only we could some how awaken the teeming masses!

nice schmorgasbored of greivances, Claybird, i must say, you should do a standup routine! the undiscovered yet alive and brimming with fear and loathing of all manner!

lewis black would dig your stuff man!
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » June 13th, 2005, 12:20 pm

whoa! the poet'e eye with a tinted monocle... cool.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”