If It Bleeds, It Leads--London

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

If It Bleeds, It Leads--London

Post by Lightning Rod » July 10th, 2005, 5:20 pm

"What about us?"

If It Bleeds, It Leads
for release 07-11-05
Washington D.C.

We were all saddened and dismayed by the murders in London this past week. Death is never pleasant, especially grisly violent unnecessary death. The Londoners are to be commended for their resolve to carry on with life as usual in the face of this catastrophe. With their gentle stoicism Londoners show their practical good sense and express the common understanding that there is simply nothing you can do about it if a nut case and especially a nut case with a cause decides to blow himself up on a bus. They understand that fact which our leaders are reluctant to admit. You can't protect yourself from random destructive behavior when the foot soldier is compelled by either insanity or conviction or desperation.

Acts of random slaughter are so common right here in the good old US of A that we have invented a term for them--Going Postal. Every few months we read of some worker or school kid who has cracked under the strain of his existence and gone crazy with a deer rifle or a shotgun, marched in to a post office or a high school and taken out four or five of his perceived enemies or tormentors and then of course the story always ends with "then he turned the gun upon himself."

And we shake our heads and say, 'It's a shame, it's a shame,' and then we chalk it up in the category where it belongs. Somebody cracked. For some reason they couldn't cope with the pressures of everyday life and resorted to desperate violence and suicide. Suicidal acts like this have a certain morbid logic--'I may be going down, but I'm gonna take a few of them with me.'

When these unfortunate events occur we waste no time dispatching an army of counselors and expert witch doctors and investigators to try to uncover a motive for the violence. They talk to the actor's family and friends and old school teachers and sift through their emails and read their blogs and try to postulate what must have caused them to go postal.

Yet when we experience the acts of suicidal murder that we refer to as terrorism, do we devote any energy to finding out what might have driven these people to such desperate acts? I'm sorry, George, the old "They are doing this because they hate freedom," excuse is just a dog that won't hunt. A better guess would be, 'They are doing it because they WANT freedom." They want the imperial powers to unhand their land and their politics and their culture and their religion and their resources. Why is this so hard to understand? It's because our government doesn't want to understand it. And they don't want you to understand it. That's why they keep twisting the facts and the language.

It is not in their interest to understand it. They would rather try to sell you on some James Bond fiction that one or two evil geniuses are sitting in their posh Himalayan redoubts smoking hashish, stroking their ocelots in front of an all-seeing tv screen and concocting dastardly plans which their brainwashed minions will blindly carry out because they are evil and they hate freedom. Just how dumb do you think we are, Mr. President? Some of us are starting to tumble to the fact that this is no Austin Powers movie. The people who are carrying out these acts of terror have what they believe to be real grievances.

You have to admire this administration's moxie though. They keep trying to sell you on the idea that there is not broad popular support for what we blithely call 'the insurgency' in Iraq. One man's insurgent is another man's freedom fighter. This government is by means of terminology, trying to fool the public into thinking that outsiders and troublemakers imported from abroad are responsible for what is obviously a native resistance movement. What are they resisting? The same thing the French Resistance was fighting against. Occupation by a foreign power.

The Poet's Eye has observed the journalism business for enough years to understand the principle of, 'If it bleeds, it leads." This is one thing that makes terrorism so effective. It gets headlines. Several million people can gather to prompt our leaders to move upon the problems of hunger and poverty and the mainstream press largely ignores it. Twenty thousand people die every live-long day, every time you wake up in the morning twenty-thousand people have died of starvation in this world. These are not violent spectacular deaths, they are slow miserable ones. They don't bleed enough, they just suffer with no press. Terrorism takes out 50 people (white people) in London or a couple of hundred in Madrid or a few thousand in New York every six months or a year. But every DAY, hunger takes out twenty thousand people, unheralded. Upon whom should we properly declare war, Terror or Poverty?

Yeah, we all need someone we can bleed on
Yeah, and if you want it, baby, well you can bleed on me
Yeah, we all need someone we can bleed on
Yeah, yeah, and if you want it, baby, why don’cha bleed on me
All over--
(Jagger/Richards)
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 10th, 2005, 6:48 pm

The protests in Scotland did not get much coverage other then to connect it to the bombings in London. It beats me compadre. I been thinking about making some pink magnetic stick on ribbons that say "support our troops repeal the the tax cuts for corporations and the weathiest. I been waiting for more news from the demonstrations in Scotland. Have not heard much about what happened except that one farmer where it was supposed to happen wimped out and changed his mind.
They are doing this because they hate freedom," excuse is just a dog that won't hunt.
Yeah remember that line “wave the bloody shirt: ok shift the subject start talking about 9/11 again. Repeat that lie again. Deny it again next week. Who the hell was it who said “believe nothing until you hear the first denial”

yeah you got eyes, I don't know what an insurgent is either, that is is the goverment's word for it so I am sure they are not really insurgents. I have a hard time getting my mind around the concept of suicide bombers as freedom fighters.

GordonWilson

Excellent

Post by GordonWilson » July 12th, 2005, 11:50 am

Thanks Clay - My favourite one for a while -

It really echoed how I've felt about all of this craziness. During 9/11, I was working on a ship, selling art and also running the internet cafe, so when the planes struck, I was asked to put the bigscreen TV on International CNN, and open up the internet lines free for passengers... I spent almost two whole days in there without sleep, ingesting all of the news and commentary, and I was left with one major impression, which I've desperately tried to get other people to see:

Why is nobody asking WHY?

"They hate us for our freedom" is ignorance soup for the bubbleheaded masses. It pisses me right off.

Thanks again, loved the writing of this one,

Gord

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » July 13th, 2005, 9:01 am

Carl Rove is going down.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 13th, 2005, 11:10 am

Say I remember you. Why indeed, why is so unZen to ask why?
Makes me wish I could be a Hindu.
Nixon had the sweat glands removed from his upper lip, but now we got botox old scott will be fine.

Rove is a nice guy Jimbo, I remember so many people saying that about him, a responsibile husband and father. A good neighbor. And Neitzsche claimed to be writing a history of the future.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » July 13th, 2005, 5:09 pm

Go see Dubya and he'll make you a ham sandwich.

somebodies needs to drop apples on their heads.
they are dense.

How about a holiday in College Station?
Aggie zombie hell.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » July 13th, 2005, 5:37 pm

jimbo,

whenever I hear College Station

it's like that old Three Stooges routine where

whenever they hear someone say Niagara Falls

they go:

"Sloooowwwly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch......"

College Station is where I was entrapped by the Texas Rangers

and had to relinquish 35 years of my freedom.

The Poet's Eye

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » July 13th, 2005, 5:45 pm

It's from a Three Stooges movie, "Gents Without Cents" made in 1944. Curly says "Niagra Falls" and Moe (who was under some sort of post-hypnotic suggestion? I don't remember) turns on him and launches into the speech. (

This was also from an Abbott and Costello movie entitled "Lost in A Harem".
Many of Bud and Lou's best-known routines were vaudeville and/or burlesque standards. The "Niagara Falls" bit ("Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch...I took my revenge.") was performed by many teams before becoming identified with Abbott & Costello

The Poet's Eye

Michael

Post by Michael » July 14th, 2005, 6:53 pm

LR, well written and well expressed.

“They hate us for our freedom.”

I can’t reinforce what you say about the absurdity of that line enough. One would think that might go over if told to someone, say, in kindergarten. But there are grown persons, with advanced degrees and everything, spouting that crap! Like stilltrucking, I’m at a loss.

On the other hand, if we wipe off the shellac that The Regime has painted all of these events with, we may find out not why “they” are doing this to “us”, but why The Regime uses such lame excuses.

Of course, one of the reasons is because there are people who think that, if you’ve worked hard enough and are intelligent and patriotic enough to become president, then you must be infallible. Once someone has become president of this nation, many of its citizens lose all perspective. To some, the president doesn’t sit on a pedestal. For some, being president means not having to go to the bathroom, not burping, not farting (I guess flipping the bird is OK, though, but supporters of The Regime never see those kinds of pictures). It’s sort of how the Catholics think about the man who is “elected” pope. One difference is that they actually admit they believe that one.

So, when the president says we go to war, he must have a good reason. After all, he’s the president.

I’m rambling, but, LR, you put it so eloquently.

Naturally, once a person is fitted into this mold, he or she, he for the US, knows how he’s perceived and takes full advantage of it.

Yes, Londoners were stoic and I grieve anytime anyone on earth is made to suffer. It’s pretty much a full time job, as you imply.

Unfortunately, unlike the Spaniards, I’ve read some very vengeful things that Londoners were saying after the incidents.

In Great Britain and in the US, this type of thing still works in favor of The Regime. Whoops, did I write that?

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » July 14th, 2005, 8:01 pm

Thanks, Michael

I've mentioned to you that one of the reasons that I love having you around here is that you make me look like a moderate.. :lol:

(ok, I like your music too)

let's keep giving 'em hell
you be the bad cop and I'll be the good cop
(don't worry, we can always flip on them)

The Poet's Eye

iblieve

Post by iblieve » July 14th, 2005, 9:21 pm

I think it was Michael that posted the conspiracy theory at Studio 8 that maybe our government had a hand in the world trade center bombings on 911. Following that train of thought isn't it strange that about the time Carl Rove was being out-ed London got bombed. Also at the exact same time bush's brother dropped the probes into the starvation of the lady in Florida, forgot her name. I know too far fetched but bush is a crazy fucker and I wouldn't put nothing past him.

Lightning Rod, Love your politics my friend, and yours too Michael.

iblieve
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/iblieve/9e35dd63.gif[/img]
iblieve
DARC Poet's Society.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » July 20th, 2005, 10:44 am

Jeb interfered with Terri Schiavo, and he also put the screws to the citizens of Florida who voted to reduce class size, so he forced education budgets to cut salaries and new buildings while also giving huge tax breaks to corporations here in sunny Florida.

Georgia has both smaller class sizes and pays teachers an average of $5,000 bucks more per year.
College Station is where I was entrapped by the Texas Rangers

and had to relinquish 35 years of my freedom.
College Station!slowly I turned, and I kicked him, I slapped him, I stomped him, woop woop woop

I remembver the Aggies in my Air Farce pilot training class, had a near-miss collision with Foley, in T-38's, he went on to fly B-52's, like the unquestioning type, he was an ag economics major, shit why did I have to go to Michigan and be unbrainwashed by the SDS? Love those old southern schools, everything just so, Laura Bush queens waiting for gentleman officer youthe so marry with and procreate more of the same.

my plantation uncle Creighton in Shreveport, AGGIE, was the one who set me up for my other uncle's screaming rant at my grandmother's funeral when he kept bugging me about Vietnam (I said they'd have been better off if we'd left them alone) and was lept upon with raving screaming, so I called them war wimps and that was that, fucking AGGIES!!!!! AGGIES SUCK.
Woop, woop, woop, wish Curly was here now.
Just found out the Stooges play weekends at 9 am channel 53,
oy vey!
Somebody, a Brit, i think, recently demurred that bombing Mecca should be within the provenance of possible future deterrant options.
(did i say that right?)
Next up, Senator McCain with Jeb his mate, 2008, can't wait, it gets even better.

http://www.niagarafallsreporter.com/slowly.html
for an histerical lesson on the "slowly I toined" routine..... :shock:
even aggies like the stooges.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”