Drive for Show, Putt for Dough

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » July 24th, 2005, 10:23 pm

for release 07-24-05
Washington D.C.

I grew up in a golfing family. My grandfather and two of my uncles were pros and part of the masculine right of passage into adulthood in our family was to shoot under par. One of the early pieces of wisdom that my family imparted to me in the context of the gentleman's game of golf was: You drive for show, and putt for dough.

To some limited degree, the game of golf is one of strength. It helps if you can hit 350 yards off the tee. But more than a game of strength, it is a game of skill and accuracy. Knowing how to get out of a sand trap or read the break of a green is more important than being able to deploy Big Bertha. Golf is a game of technique over brute force, just like terrorism.

After the subway and bus bombings in London two weeks ago and the attempted reprise several days ago, you can be sure that mass transit will be the focus of our government's reaction to these events. Don't be surprised when they tell you to arrive at your subway station or bus stop two hours in advance of your departure so that you can have your retinas scanned and your asshole searched and your crotch sniffed by highly educated dogs.

Terrorism as we know it today probably originated in Russia in the late 1800's. There had been acts of terrorism before, political assassinations and massacres etc, but they were largely perpetuated by those in power. The Reign of Terror during the French Revolution was carried out by those in power.

Lenin and his contemporaries in Russia, turned terrorism into a different sort of weapon.Terrorism became a tool to be used when you were outgunned and outnumbered and was not most effective when used directly against the enemy, but when aimed at other symbolic and easily attacked targets. Terror is a strategy that can command the attention of the public, create political tension and provoke oppressive government reactions. If you have tried to get through an airport recently, you will know how successful the 9/11 terrorists were.

The London terrorists have enjoyed similar success. Because of them, people across the ocean in New York City are being randomly frisked and delayed in their travels because the authorities want to demonstrate that they are vigilant in their efforts to protect you from that from which there is no possible real protection.

Lenin wrote, “The purpose of terrorism is to terrorize,” A terrorist hopes that whatever local act of violence he can manage will have more widespread effects.

I'm not calling terrorism a gentleman's game, but it is one of skill and accuracy. Terrorism is the Zen or Tai Chi of warfare. Very little force achieves great results. All the ordinance needed to accomplish the horrific destruction of 9/11 and it's more horrific aftermath (the abridgment of our civil rights), was a handful of box cutters.

When BushCo and the Coalition of the Semi-Willing rolled their tanks into Iraq behind a barrage of Shock and Awe, they were driving for show. But the resistance, which we prefer to call the insurgency, is putting for dough. A two foot putt powered by ten pounds of homemade plastic explosive can win the tournament. We are discovering this as week after week there are twenty more young American soldiers reported dead.

The Poet's Eye is always on the ball and it sees that we are deep in a sand trap.

"Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps."--Tiger Woods
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » July 25th, 2005, 11:10 am

I never thought golf can be looked at as war!!!! Intresting!!!!
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » July 25th, 2005, 2:00 pm

Ah, Dave

Golf is the Zen sport
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » July 25th, 2005, 2:22 pm

So can Zen be looked upon as war or is war like Zen instead???? Then again golf,war and Zen maybe they go hand in hand????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » July 28th, 2005, 3:51 pm

[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » July 29th, 2005, 10:27 am

:( :x :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

exactly so jimbo.

I been thinking a lot about Dr Freud and Dr Swift and the disease called man. I have never been close to OUR DEAR LEADER but I have the feeling he stinks worse than a YAHOO no matter how many times a day he changes his underwear. Waving the bloody shirt while our country is being looted, raped. :x :x :x :x :( :x :( :( :(

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » July 29th, 2005, 1:17 pm

So that putts us back into our own locii of control.

FORE!

I just teed off.

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » July 30th, 2005, 2:42 am

aw man what are you talking about. could you put that in plain English?

Context management and its applications to distributed transactions

Samaras, G. Kshemkalyani, A.D. Citron, A.
IBM Corp., Research Triangle Park, NC;

This paper appears in: Distributed Computing Systems, 1996., Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on
Publication Date: 27-30 May 1996
On page(s): 683-691
Meeting Date: 05/27/1996 - 05/30/1996
ISBN: 0-8186-7399-0
References Cited: 16
INSPEC Accession Number: 5329212
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/ICDCS.1996.508020
Posted online: 2002-08-06 20:27:44.0

Abstract
An emerging paradigm that handles multiple locii of control in a system allows multiple program threads to work on the same task, each thread to work on a different task, or a thread to work on multiple tasks for greater design flexibility or due to system constraints such as real-time demands and a high load on tasking. We use the definition of context to capture the notion of logical locus of control. The context of the work being currently executed must be identifiable uniquely by the application, the Resource Managers and the Transaction Manager because each context represents different work. In this paper we define context management by defining a local Context Manager and its user interface. We then show why the notion of context is required to solve the problems that arise in local and distributed transaction processing due to the emerging paradigm. We present solutions to these problems in transaction processing using the proposed context management
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/abs_free ... ber=508020

google not much help

"I got a good christian raising and a eight grade education."
way over my head jimbo.

Clay I been trying to find a loving father for over forty years. I know he loved me. But he was so weird.
I am happy for you to have had a dad like yours. And for Jack Coburn too. And for Jim Willingham senior.
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 30th, 2005, 2:47 pm

This seems to be the progression (cycle)....

Terrorism against the West precipitates from a long-running and generally unwelcome, meddling pattern of Western policy in the affairs of Middle Eastern nations, often exploitative in nature, and a long-running considerable Western military presence on Muslim holy lands.

Bushco's Solution: Steamroll the world community and invade a Middle Eastern Muslim country which posed no threat to the West; a war born out of deception and falsification of intelligence, with its ultimate goal to set up a proxy-"democracy", in suitable lock-step with the interests of D.C., with which the West could solidify its grip on the resources of that vital region.

Result: Even more of the same exploitative policy push and stance in the region (at least widely perceived as such, given the Western track record). Even more of a heavy-handed, considerable military presence on Muslim holy lands. Even more fuel to the fire. Even more terrorism.

Bush has simply promoted and escalated a cycle without end, it would seem.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » July 30th, 2005, 10:50 pm

Start from an independent perspective that is accurate, has compassion and reason as its basis, like the above so essentially stated by the desert rambler.

That is an independent locus of control, from oneself, and shared by others.

Personally, I do not believe that Iran is an evil country. May have some problems, but by and large wants to be a neutral and helpful state.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”