Death is Yellow

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Death is Yellow

Post by Lightning Rod » August 6th, 2005, 1:45 pm

Death is Yellow
for release 07-06-05
Washington D.C.

Every Sunday when I watch George Stephanopoulos' This Week on ABC I see yellow and get a catch in my throat when the In Memorium section plays, because the last thing they do is list the names of the U.S. servicemen who have died in Iraq or Afghanistan. These are such pointless deaths. Death is sadder when it is pointless and when it happens to the young.

Recently a young family member died in a car accident. He was twenty-two years old, filled with energy and kindness. Car accidents are such a sad and pointless way to die. It's not in the cause of freedom or liberation, it's just sad. Yet while we are upset when 25 soldiers die in Iraq in a week, 114 people die each day in car crashes in the U.S. But how do you put a value on pointless deaths? When a hundred Britons die in a subway bombing, is that worth more than 10,000 deaths in Darfur or Niger? What about the five hundred people who die each day from medical errors in our own hospitals?

Death, like life and time and morality is a relative matter. It's hard to put a value on it. Mass depends on your nearness to the speed of light.

How do you separate those that died in a building's collapse from those in an embassy or subway bombing or a famine or a car wreck or a war or by genocide? Maybe death is always pointless.

This reality is never more clear and apparent than when you attend the funeral of a young person. There were 300 people at Nick's funeral. He wasn't even a war hero. He was just a guy who liked cars and football and had a loving family and a slew of friends whose lives he had touched in his scant twenty-two years.

There have been slightly over 1800 soldiers killed in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq in the past three years. Every year 16,000 people die in this country from accidental falls, fifty thousand in car accidents, thirty thousand commit suicide and seventeen thousand die by assault.

Who knows what life or death is worth? Does it count more when a celebrity or a tycoon or an athlete dies than when a skinny child expires in Niger surrounded by hunger and flies? I don't know. It's not my job to judge these things, simply to observe them.

I start seeing yellow at times like this. And I'm not talking about Mellow Yellow. I'm talking about flaming, creative, morning sunshine yellow. I'm talking about the Yellow Submarine which is the symbol of this planet, a vessel in which we all sail, powered by our yellow sun and yes I want to Tie a Yellow Ribbon round that old oak tree for all the young and lost in Iraq, I also want to tie one for those lost to disaster and sickness and accident. Every death counts the same. Which brings me to the Yellow Rose of Texas.

When Texans were fighting for independence, I'm sure that the Mexicans called it an insurgency. When the Mexican state of Coahuila y Tejas went into rebellion in late 1835 and declared itself independent on 2 March 1836 General Antonio López de Santa Anna invaded Texas to liberate it's people and to spread freedom and Catholicism. Sound familiar?

Santa Anna was a capable general and commanded formidable armies. He routed the Texans at Goliad and then at the Alamo in San Antonio. But as a prize of war he took a mulatto girl named Emily Morgan. She was, as they say in the South, High Yellow. She probably looked like Halle Barry. Santa Anna became smitten with her. He was so eager to enjoy the spoils of war that he pitched camp at San Jacinto and that is where Sam Houston got the drop on the Mexican army. While Santa Anna was busy in his tent, the Texans stormed into the camp. Emily became known as The Yellow Rose of Texas for providing the timely diversion. She didn't have to lay down her life to do it either, she just had to lay down. I wonder if Karl Rove is the Yellow TurdBlossom of Texas?

The Poet's Eye sees that death is merely a diversion from life. Paint it yellow. And remember the Alamo.

It's been three long years
Do ya still want me?
If I don't see a ribbon round the old oak tree
I'll stay on the bus
Forget about us
Put the blame on me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon round the old oak tree
--Tony Orlando and Dawn
Last edited by Lightning Rod on August 6th, 2005, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » August 6th, 2005, 3:29 pm

That tieing of yellow ribbons around trees goes back to the Iran Hostage Crisis. It was to remeber their of what they were going through at that time. It then showed up again during the Perisan Gulf war. Now it's showing up again as well.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 15th, 2009, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 6th, 2005, 4:42 pm

Beautifully written.

Thank you.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 6th, 2005, 5:45 pm

Nathan (my Down's son) and I were driving down the freeway when I noticed a terrible accident that had occurred but a short while before I saw it. Inside one of the autos the door was opened and a lifeless male was slumped over... obviously without life.

"Nate, look over there. The man is dead," I mindlessly spoke.

Nathan looked over and said "O well... I'm alive," and continued grooving to the sounds of the radio.

I was quickly reminded that life is for the living.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 6th, 2005, 6:53 pm

I would love to meet Nathan someday. I think of him now and then.

A million plus miles of looking at hambuger all over the road. One of the most interesting was in the Arizona desert west of Phoenix. A minivan passed me and then the driver drifted over into the comedian strip, the guy must have fallen asleep. He was rolling down the strip ok but then he jerked it back over onto the asphault. Flipped and rolled over twice. Bodies all over the road. I managed to stop in time and I pulled my truck across both lanes to protect the bodies. It was amazing the four wheelers went around me in the break down lande and weaved their way through the bodies. One even blew his horn at them, I suppose he wanted them to get out of his way.

Sam Houston my hero:

"Some of you laugh to scorn the idea of bloodshed as the result of secession, but let me tell you what is coming....Your fathers and husbands, your sons and brothers, will be herded at the point of the bayonet....You may after the sacrifice of countless millions of treasure and hundreds of thousands of lives, as a bare possibility, win Southern independence...but I doubt it. I tell you that, while I believe with you in the doctrine of state rights, the North is determined to preserve this Union. They are not a fiery, impulsive people as you are, for they live in colder climates. But when they begin to move in a given direction...they move with the steady momentum and perseverance of a mighty avalanche; and what I fear is, they will overwhelm the South."

Think half of the civil war was fought in Virginia

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » August 8th, 2005, 12:57 pm

Cindy Sheehan at Bush's ranch in Crawford

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/08/07/ ... index.html 1833+

Interesting bit of, we always thought of Santa Ana as the imperial invader. He had his own perspective.

Yellow Rose of Tejas, another one.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » August 8th, 2005, 3:45 pm

http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizati ... sp?key=530

code pink
yellow rose
pink and yellow
Rothko Mark
Yellow Pink and Lavanda on Rose
http://www.poster.de/Rothko-Mark/Rothko ... 04788.html

picasso

Did you notice?

Post by picasso » August 8th, 2005, 5:09 pm

Did you notice that in your own piece a child from Niger "expires" while US citizens "die?"

Do we automatically think that 3rd world natives have an early expiration date like milk and that we as citizens of the US or Canada or Switzerland or anywhere else they have a McDonalds have a longer expiration date b/c we have access to things like antibiotics and food? I mean it's true right? But is it so true that we can't even think beyond it. We just think it will always be there. Hunger, famine, war. They will always be a part of our society. This is second nature to us. It is so second nature that it takes a petition to make the regular Joe think differently.

Death is a funny thing for me. I don't know what to say. It kinda wigs me out a little.

Thanks for making me think...yet again.

Peace,
Jolee
Conformity--
Proudly Seving
Painfully
Boring People
Since Time
Began

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » August 8th, 2005, 5:34 pm

absolutely
we are trying to get americans to stop the war by having compassion for our own fallen, yet the real truth we need to ultimately point to is that the enemy is not different from ourselves, and that compassion needs be extended to others as to ourselves,.

we. loyal patriotic Americans, are a feudal, tribal bunch, the mainstream folkrockers.
oh they always said, those people over there don't view life like we do.
http://www.badattitudes.com/MT/archives/000450.html

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 8th, 2005, 7:02 pm

"What you're seeing with that mom trying to meet with President Bush is echoes of Vietnam," said Sen. Barbara Boxer, a California Democrat. "Because no one is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel."

"I think the president ought to meet with this mother," said Sen. George Allen, a Virginia Republican. "What I would say to her is her son will always be remembered as a great hero and a patriot, advanced freedom in Iraq and the Middle East, has made this country more secure."
I read the article jimbo. Gearge Allen got the bullshit on the inside of his cowboy boots. It took twenty five years to get us out of viet nam, our longest war. Maybe we can get a regime change in 08

or at least kick some balls (not ass) out of congress and get a few more big butts in congress. Man I love big butts. sorry I am crazy with a bad dose of puppy love

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 8th, 2005, 7:03 pm

oh yeah nice pic. like to paper our dear leader of good and evil's bedroom walls or the ceiling the first thing he sees in the morning.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » August 8th, 2005, 7:44 pm

bush is not the enemy.
start within.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 8th, 2005, 10:27 pm

I don't think I called him the enemy, I would just like to be his interior decorator.
When we arm our selves we arm our enemies.
I looked within and I don't see no enemies.

Just me and my shadow

and a dark sea

long manic monday

good night jim

so happy I heard you today

I wish I knew how to download those sound files.

That show was a keeper

gracias my dear friend

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » August 9th, 2005, 8:51 am

right click and save as target
maybe

we had a vets for peace meeting and nobody came
several did but we did not see one another
we were only ghosts standing outside
the library was closed
reservations were made well in advance
we died to ourselves one more time

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » August 9th, 2005, 8:57 am

It is not about anger with me jimbo
It is lust
“Starry eyed maidens and rosy checked demons” jitterbug
I need things to fall apart
I want things to fall apart.
http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4267

caught in a rut
a trench so deep the sky is just a narrow strip of starrs

clay there was a book used by the Pyschology Department Honors program at The U Of MD college park back in the early 70's, all about Swift and Freud mostly. Life Against Death. I asked the professor about it but he never answered or I forgot to check back and see if he did.

One of the ways I instinktively knew Litkicks was going down, was the sound of weariness in brooklyn's voice. Don't know how much I contributed to it walking around with my dick hanging out and keeping the women outraged.
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”