Name, Rank & Serial Number

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » December 1st, 2005, 4:25 pm

for release 12-01-05
Washington D.C.

In America there is no valid law that requires a pedestrian or a traveler to produce ID papers on demand. Not yet anyway. Our first amendment guarantees us the right of assembly and that implies freedom of movement. We don't have internal passports. Yet few people complain about being shaken down and having their IDs checked at airports. It's in the interest of National Security, after all.

Our transportation system has become an obedience school. Like good spaniels and setters and shepherds, we stand in line to learn how to submit to routine ID checks. We are being trained – Sit, Heel, Roll Over. Soon we won't even notice that checkpoints have gone up at every WalMart and stadium and NASCAR racetrack.

But there are some holdouts – those that are headstrong Constitutional animals with some spirit left. Take Debbie Davis for example or John Gilmore. These two people challenged the government's assumption that they could stop anyone at will and demand that they show their papers. Soon the issue will be before the Supreme Court.

There are several good reasons why the instigation of a National ID system is a foul event. The fourth and fifth amendments to our constitution are good starters. To be asked for your ID is a search without a warrant and a violation to your right to privacy, especially in today's information society where your whole life is recorded in digits and can be called up just by punching in your social security number. Your every parking ticket and pot bust and divorce is instantly visible.
Amendment IV, United States Constitution

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
In May, our government passed a law which is the precursor to a National ID System. It's called the Real ID Act of 2005 which establishes national standards for state-issued driver's licenses and non-driver's identification cards, among other controlling legislation. It was snuck in at the last moment attached to an appropriations bill. There was no debate.

One of the signatures of a society which overly controls the population is the requirement for internal passports, documents that make it possible to monitor the movements of its citizens. In other words, a National ID. We can list the countries that have used them – fascist Italy, nazi Germany, the former Soviet Union, apartheid South Africa, North Korea, communist China. And now the United States.

The United States is already the most recorded and surveilled society in history. Not only does the US government keep a dossier on you, a US citizen, but private industry has more information about you than you know yourself. At the click of a mouse they can know your credit history, your medical records, your buying patterns, your travel history and your phone call records. And if you have a cell phone in your pocket turned on, they know where you are to within about three feet at any given moment.

Why don't the US citizens simply submit to a National ID System? It would make life easier for everyone. Maybe it would help trains and planes run on time. No standing in embarrassing lines, just swipe your card.

Last week, we rescued a lovely white kitty cat from the local animal shelter. Before we took him home, it was required that a chip be implanted in the animal for ID purposes. We were assured that it would be a painless process and that this electronic tattoo would insure that our pet would be found if he got lost. Who's next? Babies? This is National ID on the cutting edge.

Let's plant a chip in all American citizens at birth. There would be truly no child left behind. We would know where they were every minute. Just a little painless chip implant behind the ear or next to the belly button. Then with a simple whisk of a wand, a merchant will be able to access every American's 'life database' and in seconds know what gifts you received for Christmas last year and if you've had your Avian Flu shot or what books you checked out of the library or what your grade was in high school algebra.

Already, if you have a discount card at a supermarket or a drug store, they know when your menstrual cycle falls by your tampon buying habits, how many packs of instant mashed potatoes and how many dozen condoms you purchase per month. They can infer your political leanings by whether you buy American processed cheese or brie.

The Poet's Eye would like to see your ID please. Let me swipe your card and look into your soul. It's not just name, rank and serial number anymore, baby.

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
(I'll be watching you)

Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
(I'll be watching you)

– Sting
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » December 2nd, 2005, 12:59 am

Another focused Eye, eL'Rod...

Seeing how split this country is on politics and faith... you know, the duality-thing, I imagine the country would be split on national ID... those that feel they have nothing to hide and those that enjoy their privacy. Tough call.

I think the one thing that would stop this in its tracks would be for any citizen to have the right to nose into anothers private life and not just an anonymous individual with the right to know all they want about others merely because of a government given title of some sort or another.

If all info on individuals was available to all citizens at all times, including the gov't snoops, I think that would put the brakes on such invasion of privacy... that or change society. What if you knew everything about your neighbors... how much debt they have, how many times a week they get drunk, how often they have sex, what types of foods do they buy, how much do they earn... everything! Remember they knonw everything about your private and social life, too. Would that bring about a level of honesty never before seen? Would we all be suspicious of everyone, all the time? Hmmmm?

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » December 2nd, 2005, 2:05 am

The micro chip is a real nightmare for some people. I worked with a guy who swears that he was implanted with one while he was in the first Iraq war. He was big on the 666 thing too. It could all happen, it probably is happening. It is a brave new world. I wonder about what the world of your grand children's grand children will be like. Will these be the good old days or the dark ages?
free rice

I used to be smart

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » December 2nd, 2005, 11:37 am

Try yourself to obtain Donald Rumsfeld's medical records.

Then ask yourself how difficult it is for him to obtain yours?

--Z

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » December 2nd, 2005, 12:10 pm

Cec, that's the same argument as "general manners would be better observed if everyone carried a gun."

Jack, we are open books aren't we?

Yes, Z, it would be harder for me see his medical records that it would be for him to see mine.

you might be interested in this article by Nat Hentoff
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » December 2nd, 2005, 12:58 pm

It's no longer Big Brother but everyone who's looking in on everyone.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 19th, 2009, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 14th, 2005, 10:48 am

Amendment IV, United States Constitution

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
the quote for the fourth amendment, wow
it is amazing how the dilemma is so well structured in the constitution, it is so right on, and yet, and yet
it is missused.
Updating and tightening the laws on application for asylum and deportation of aliens for terrorist activity;
this is in that billbo
Real ID Act of 2005
fried chicken lips

Sami Al Arian
ya gotta love that name
Sammy Al
still in jail
found not-guilty of 8 counts of terrorist activity
and hung jury on th rest
still in jail
without bail

Really a fine Poetz Eye, mon. Thanx.

If I was prez, I'd say, if ya wanna strentghen national security, start with internal violence. Make restraining orders work for abused women; restraining orders are a joke.

And of course the proverbial handgun, well
there are serial numbers on the guns and everybody who owns one needs to have it registered

what else

sure you'll think of something

Sometime I am gonna go back thru your archives and browse thru it all

\just to see the scope of your multititudinous concerns and how and where your mind wanders

cheers
cowchips with psychedelic mushrooms olay!

ah th fourth amendment
an th fifth estate

stunning video of the power elite model
music makes it all complete

it's a mushroom cloud
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”