Kinky For Governor

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Kinky For Governor

Post by Lightning Rod » May 16th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Kinky For Governor

for release 05-17-06
Washington D.C.

After an un-illustrious career as a bad student, a deserting National Guardsman and a failed oil-man, I thought that George W. Bush had finally reached his level of incompetency when Daddy Bush and his buddies installed Georgie as owner of the Texas Rangers. I figured that he could putter around from the locker-room to the dugout and not do too much harm unless he traded Nolan Ryan.

Then he met Karl Rove and went into the family business, politics. Karl must have figured that Georgie was perfect merchandise--he was the grandson of a senator, the son of a president, the owner of a sports team and didn't have a political thought in his head. Perfect. Tabula Rosa. It must have been enough to make an aspiring Svengali cream in his jeans.

So Georgie (and Karl) ran for governor.

In case you are not familiar with Texas politics, the governor of Texas has only slightly more power than a dogcatcher and certainly not as much power as the owner of the Texas Rangers. So when Bush, the playboy with a silver spoon up his nose ran for governor, it didn't distress me. At least he wasn't running for the Texas Railroad Commission, which has much more power over the lives of our citizens than the governor. I wasn't terribly impressed when Gdub won. I knew he had the money behind him. What amused me was that he used the office to propel himself into the presidency. That's sort of like using a resume' that describes your experience driving a Corvair as qualification to be CEO of GM.

Let me repeat. The governorship of Texas is largely a ceremonial position. It's a bully pulpit with very little real power. Texas needs a good MC. That's why I'm going to support Kinky Freidman in the upcoming governor's race. Sure, he's a country music singing Jew Boy from Chicago and has about as much chance of getting elected as a skunk has of winning a cat show, but stranger things have happened.

Another country singer, W. Lee (Pappy) O'Daniel was elected governor of Texas in 1938 and both Pa and Ma Ferguson were elected. Other states have made unlikely choices. I'm thinking of Ronald Reagan and Jesse Ventura and of course there is the Governator, so the prospect of Kinky as governor is not so far-fetched. And as George Bush has proven, in America anybody can become president, even the governor of Texas.

Now comes Kinky Friedman, a left field candidate with either proto or neo-populist positions and some down-home swagger and he has the one thing that Texans love--personality. Kinky has that populist country music thing going on and also there is the cigar. It gives him sort of a revolutionary cachet. It brings Fidel and Che to mind. I love this guy.

I admit that I have ulterior motives. I've met Kinky a couple of times. He's not a bosom buddy, but we are in the same business (entertainment) and he used to date my ex-wife's best friend. I bent an elbow with him at the Stoneleigh P in Dallas. I figure I'm in line for some political favors. One of the few powers that the governor of Texas has is the power of pardon. I have several outstanding traffic tickets and some other litter to clean up with the State, so I imagine that the twenty bucks that I'm about to contribute to his campaign will buy me some influence. What do you think?

The Poet's Eye sees that Karl Rove might be looking for a job soon. Maybe he could take over Kinky's campaign.

You told me you were born so much higher than life,
But I've seen the faded pictures of your children and your wife.
Now they're fumbling through your wallet and they're trying to find your name,
It's almost like they raise the price of fame.

And everything's been sold American,
No place to go and brother, no place to stay.
Everyone's been sold American
Just let that golden Greyhound roll your soul away.
--Kinky Friedman
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 17th, 2006, 12:10 am

What do you think?
I hope you get your money's worth.

I hope he is an honorable man and does the right thing.

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/issues/

There it is in a nutshell. Sounds right to me.
Why the hell not?

On a unrelated note:

I used to love The Texas Railroad Commission.

Back in the eigthies, before UPS sued them, a hundred mile run within the state of Texas paid the same as a thousand mile trip out of state. It was so sweet. But UPS got tired of leaving Texas with empty trucks. Because a truck from any state could haul into Texas but you needed a permit fhe TRC to haul freight out of Texas. Not an easy thing to get if you were not a Texas trucking company.

Revealing show about junior on PBS a few months back. It covered his days working for his father's campaign for president. He was chosen to round up the true believers vote. Spent a lot of time working with the Christians. He was very good at it. He studied hard at that Bible class in Midland. " I can do this,” he would say to himself. That was according to one person who knew him. By ‘this’ he meant get elected..
Rasputin
Poet/Magician/Healer/Prophet/Monk
64.42% (67 of 104 votes)
He was the first Svengali to come to mind.

I would think that Hitler would make that list too. I don't think there were any musicians on the list either.
I wonder why? Elvis maybe.

enough rambling

Excellent work Clay, one of your best. But I think I say that about every Poet's Eye.

I appreciate you.
Last edited by stilltrucking on May 17th, 2006, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » May 17th, 2006, 8:26 am

thanks Truck,

When he threw his hat in the ring I thought, "at least Kinky Has as hat. I guess Rick Perry threw his hairspray in." :lol:
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » May 17th, 2006, 10:27 am

In the words of Kinky Friedman "THANK YOU VERY MUCH"!!!! Now if only I could vote for him!!!! Texas NEEDS a CHANGE these days!!!! :D
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 19th, 2009, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » May 17th, 2006, 10:28 am

My heavens, LR, this is the spittin' image of my comic strip character, Johnny Nekro, from THE LITERARY LIFE

http://www.zygoteinmycoffee.com/zygotethelitlife18.html

(Johnny is pictured in the first and last panels . . .)

--Z

iblieve

Post by iblieve » May 17th, 2006, 1:21 pm

I am with you my friend, I am on the Kinky bandwagon and hell I love his music. Yeah I got that outlaw country bug back in 1978 and listen to outlaw country on Sirius radio. A man you might be familair with, Mojo Nixon, is pushing Kinky's campaign for Governor in Texas. He even re-formed his band to go play benefits for Kinky. I hope Texas elects him. I wish more canidates of this low caliber would run for office in this great land, and make it great again. It's really time to vote out the professional politicians with all their corporate ties and get people that are tied to the average man.

I read a lot of political commentaries and I think your views and writing is my all time favorite. You should send a sample to Mother Jones or Funny Times (humor politics and fun.) Funny Times is a satirical political newspaper but some of their writers are shit, your stuff would shine there. Anyway love it and if Kinky gets elected I might go back and visit Texas. You can't beat a state that gave us Billy Joe Shaver, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Pantera.

iblieve
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/iblieve/9e35dd63.gif[/img]
iblieve
DARC Poet's Society.

iblieve

Post by iblieve » May 17th, 2006, 4:14 pm

A Poem I wrote for Kinky

Texas Politics (Kinky Friedman for Governor)

Kinky free man runs the gauntlet
wading political shit
deep in Texas out house majorities.
Republican head hunters
loaded shotgun rhetoric,
and the nut cracks the whip
as everyone stutters,
“No free men needed!”

Unique thoughts jar
the establishment mindset
as leer jet attitudes crash,
equilibrium jarred status quo.

Slogan rings true
vote for me
and I’ll be a whore for you,
not the special interest groupie.
Periodical publication’s propaganda
fuels the fear that friedman
will set the slaves free.

Kinky Friedman stomping
in Texas shit house.
More deep shit to come.

4-3-06
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/iblieve/9e35dd63.gif[/img]
iblieve
DARC Poet's Society.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » May 19th, 2006, 9:07 pm

I will write to my amigos inTexas, incuding my bro and tell them they could do worse, mucho, than votando por El Kinky.

Viva Bongo Joe and Viva Kinky.

a prophet for th new millenium
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”