Show Biz

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Show Biz

Post by Lightning Rod » August 6th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Show Biz

for release 08-07-06
Washington DC

The Poet's Eye has been on vacation for the past two weeks so that we could work on the Cabaradio Show which was presented as part of the Inaugural Capitol Fringe Festival in Washington DC. (see pictures of Cabaradio here)

I was glad not to be burdened with politics and culture and current events for this period, and to get back to my roots in show business. The most thrilling and high-quality times of my life have been when joining with other performers to produce a show. There's no people like show people, they smile when they are low.

The theater, with all its fantasy and facade is an indicator of real life. There are fights and ego struggles and misunderstandings, just like in the world at large. But it's a beautiful thing when people put away their petty self interests to create something larger than themselves--a show.

The Poet's Eye looks at the nonsense going on in the Middle East and sees a solution. Why don't we do a show? We could get Mel Brooks to write it. No, wait, he's a Jew. How about Mel Gibson? No, no let's write it with wiki. Anybody can edit it, Jew or Arab or conservative or liberal fundamentalist whatever.

It's a show, and the show must go on.

I'm sorry to get all paisley and granola on you here, but we all have to live together on this planet. It's hard to hear the harmony when the grenades are falling.

The percussion section is dominating right now. Roadside bombs in Baghdad and missiles in Beirut and Katyusha rockets reaching for Tel Aviv. What the world needs now is love, sweet love. We need more string section and the coloratura of the bassoon and clarinets.

Why am I amazed that in the name of the world's great religions, where the ideals of love and forgiveness and care for our fellow men are expressed, we see merciless killings and anger and revenge? It's too much for the sensitive mind of an artist to bear.

So, instead of all this chaos and violence and hardship and humiliation, why don't we do a show? To make a show happen, everyone has to pull together.

Any theatrician knows that drama is based on conflict. Consider Romeo and Juliet. Or West Side Story. These are both the same story of course. The Montagues against the Capulets or the Sharks against the Jets. Or the Muslims against the Christians and Jews. I smell a love story here, a musical.

Here's the thing about the theater: the Capulets and the Montagues might sword fight each other onstage but they put their makeup on in the same dressing room. If a show is to succeed, then the players and the crew and the directors and the ticket takers all need to pull in the same direction. That's the wonderful thing about show business. The show comes first. It's a symbol of community. If our world is to succeed, then we have to put aside our egos and our vanity and our petty differences and our lust for power and wealth and make a good show.

I'm thinking Condi Rice as Maria. Or is it Juliet? Condi of Troy?

When you're a Jet,
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
To your last dyin' day.

Then you are set
With a capital J,
Which you'll never forget
Till they cart you away.
When you're a Jet,
You stay a Jet!
----Stephen Sondheim
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Fred Garza

War what is it good for.....absolutely nothin'....

Post by Fred Garza » August 7th, 2006, 9:42 am

Why is it that 8 Saudi's kill 2900 Americans because we wouldn't equip cabin doors with locks on planes, so to make up for it, we must kill tens of thousands of innocent people in two countries and bring about the beginnings of World War III? This poet is glad he won't have to answer for that many dead when he gets to the pearly gates...

firsty

Post by firsty » August 7th, 2006, 10:32 am

l'rod, my man, we are on the same cosmic plane, you and i.

and as well, i feel i must apologize for getting all paisley and granola.

after all, after all my railing about the fucking hippies, look at me. fucking yippie regenerated.

i was thinking last nite, you know, really thinking. clarity.

some philosophies hold that the individual's world, self, is all. indeed, even bastard buddhists see that the soul is the world.

but thats not it. everyone's soul is their world in those existential ways. but, truly, the eternal universe is made up of all these souls, and the souls of others are all background, foundation for the world, even tho we as individuals cant see into the souls of others.

so the solution is to heighten these individual souls. how to do this? perform.

i'm listening to springsteen's new CD which, even if you're not a springsteen fan, you should buy (or steal). it fits perfectly into the spirit of this idea and of the performance last week. all these unique souls, bringing their own brand of style and talent and quirks and fuckups and genius licks and changes and madness, and what you get, in the end, is sheer fucking perfect human brilliance. you can hear springsteen shouting changes in the middle of songs, most recorded live on one take. just as the cabaradio performance.

A&E is doing a series now on drugs. i caught the lsd one a few nites ago. i'm starting to really honestly believe that, JUST LIKE ALL THOSE FUCKING HIPPIES BELIEVED, we need more people taking hallucinagens, even for just a few days or weeks, and get together and play some music and read some words and dance and have sex and shout and live in communes and take care of each other and barter and farm.

i think the hippies were on to something. now, if only we can really make something happen from it instead of turning into capitalist pigs like so many of those fucking hippies did. fuckers.

lets sing! whens the next show? we should find a festival nearby and crash it, set up on the street and start doing something.
and knowing i'm so eager to fight cant make letting me in any easier.

[url=http://stealthiswiki.nine9pages.com]Steal This Book Vol 2[/url]

[url=http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?26032]Get some hosting![/url]

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » August 7th, 2006, 11:54 am

Yes, I really think there is something to be said for commune living.

A stage show commune. Count me in. I'll be the audience.

The thing is it's not all smooth sailing

you have the worker bees and the lazees

there's bound to be some griping

I would have made a good hippy I think

am I digressing?

and unlike youse, I have no problem with getting all paisley and granola (even if I don't know what the heck that means!) even checkered would be fine!

Are you going to start a movement Lrod, or are you merely still all ablush and aflutter from the ecstasy of being in the spotlight once again?

Peace mon!

I think perhaps men should get more paisley and granola more often!
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

firsty

Post by firsty » August 7th, 2006, 4:01 pm

(wrong post)
and knowing i'm so eager to fight cant make letting me in any easier.

[url=http://stealthiswiki.nine9pages.com]Steal This Book Vol 2[/url]

[url=http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?26032]Get some hosting![/url]

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » August 8th, 2006, 6:16 pm

magic mushrooms
long half-life
wafting cerebral wavy
song and dance
welcome back
bows
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

the flaming ace

Post by the flaming ace » August 9th, 2006, 1:48 pm

Ah me lads and lassies
the good Dr A says ta me
just th other day,
"you're not going hippy on us, are you
:?: "
gonna run a poll,
should I cut me hair
:?:
th outlook was extremely rocky fer th mudville nine that day,
song an dance jazzz all th way
on th fringe
on a binge
bell bottoms
paisley scarf belt
paisley vest
groovy baby dooo
i'm wichyou
an godblessher
th next time
get izveryboyin there with Ms Lucy
as she is a rapper
slammer
hip hopper
revolutionary
mercy
if ya will
:mrgreen:
[b][color=darkgreen]one more for th road[/color][/b] :mrgreen:

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 10th, 2006, 10:24 am

Hey
Don't mess with Condi
She is my girl
I love the way she shakes her head like a soap opera actress when
giving those important speeches
I can almost hear her humming to herself
"I feel pretty, oh so pretty."

I think of Condi as Fanny Bryce in Funny Girl
"The birth pangs of a new middle east" she is a comic genuis

good eye CJ maybe your best yet
but I think I say that about everyone

Why is it that 8 Saudi's kill 2900 Americans because we wouldn't equip cabin doors with locks on planes, so to make up for it, we must kill tens of thousands of innocent people in two countries and bring about the beginnings of World War III? This poet is glad he won't have to answer for that many dead when he gets to the pearly gates...
Toerag Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:28 am

I used to have this reoccurring dream...that I was standing in line at the pearly gates, right behind Mother Teresea, and I hear God tell her: "You could have done more"...

http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtop ... 12&start=0

Nothing to do with your post Fred but I like the juxtoposition. You know it may have something to do with the cabin doors, but that might be part of the conspiracy of 911, that some dark insidious cabal decided not to put locks on the cabin doors so as to enable the hijackers to do their dirty work. Or it maybe because it cost too much to put locks on the doors. Or it might have something to do with the fact that the FAA is what is called a "tombstone agency" Nothing is done until enough people die.

Speaking of coincidences
One serb fired one bullet at one arch duke and a hundred million people or more died to make ammends in the resultant wars. I hear that bullet is in a museum somewhere.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”