Life, Death and the Tabloids

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » August 28th, 2006, 3:30 pm

I think it was his eye! yes, it was this! He had the eye of a vulture --a pale blue eye, with a film over it. Whenever it fell upon me, my blood ran cold; and so by degrees --very gradually --I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye forever.
---Poe, Tell Tale Heart

for release 08-29-06
Washington D.C.

Human fascination with illicit sex and death is hardly a new development caused by global warming or any of the other myriad ills of modernity. It goes back at least to Isis and Osiris, the Garden of Eden and The Clan of the Cave Bears. A good rape-murder always sells papers. The mysterious tangle between sex and life and death is the subject of all great drama and poetry and tabloid news.

That's why the JonBenet story has taken on such mythic status. It is straight from Greek tragedy and Shakespearian drama and twisted B-movie thriller mysteries. Did the effeminate substitute teacher with the shifty eyes do it with a candlestick in the basement, or is he just bragging?

Here are the possibilities:
1. He killed her like he says he did.
2. He's delusional and just thinks he did it. He wishes he did it.
3. He knows he didn't do it but is trying to steal his fifteen minutes.

I don't know which option is sicker or more depraved. The first option is the most tragic. The second is by far the creepiest and the third one I can almost....almost get my head around. When a petulant child is looking for attention, it doesn't matter to him if it is positive or negative attention. He would as soon be spatted as patted.

I knew a child once. I lived with his mother for several years.

I could never make eye contact with Karl. We just never connected. When I would try to meet his gaze, he would be looking slightly to the left.

His mother and I separated when he was five or six. I didn't see him again until many years later.

In 1991 a thirty year old single mother was raped and shot in the head in Dallas. The case went unsolved for five years.

Then, in 1996, they arrested Karl for the crime. He admitted that he did it and even gave them the murder weapon which he had kept for five years.

The first that I heard of any of this was when my brother, who was a prosecutor for the Dallas District Attorney's office, called me on the phone and summoned me to come visit him at his office. He had been appointed to prosecute Karl's case. The defense of course raised the issue of conflict of interest because of the quasi-familial connection between the defendant and the prosecutor.

My brother showed me the grisly details of the crime on 8 X 10 black and white glossy photographs depicting a dead young woman laying in a soup of blood and piss and brains. Duct tape on the wrists. It was horrible.

My brother told me that the State was going to offer Karl 3 life sentences instead of the death penalty if he copped a plea.

I told Karl's mother that if any jury in the world saw those photographs of the crime scene, Karl would have the needle in his arm as sure as death follows taxes. I relayed the message that he should take the deal. Life is better than death every time. Three life sentences would allow him to come up for parole in 45 years under Texas law.

I don't know what Karl was thinking. He didn't take the deal. Instead he used the 'I'm going to AA now' defense. It took the jury 30 minutes to convict him and seven minutes to give him the death penalty. For the past eight years, Karl has been on death row in Texas.

I'm only telling you this because I have recently learned that they have set an execution date for Karl. His appeals are exhausted and he goes to the crucifixion couch sometime this Fall.

I'm certainly not here to defend rape and brutal murder. I heartily believe that Karl should be isolated from society for the rest of his life. We deserve that protection. But State sanctioned murder is a little too pre-meditated for me. The State of Texas has been planning Karl's murder for eight years now.

There is a big difference between how we handle a high profile case and your everyday pedestrian case in our justice system. In a high profile case, like the JonBenet Ramsey murder, there is thorough over-investigation and excessive press coverage. The State is compelled by public scrutiny to dot all of the i's and cross all of the t's.

But if you are only a low profile case, or a no profile case, the justice system treats you with a different kind of respect. You become a simple victim of process and paperwork.

For every OJ trial with all the bells and whistles and mass press coverage and a battalion of high-priiced lawyers, you have thousands of trials with no press coverage and a dozing public defender representing an accused person that he met fifteen minutes before the trial.

The Poet's Eye sees that there is a vast difference between High Justice and High Drama. We secretly hate justice but we love a good show.

Hangman, hangman, hangman, slack your rope a while. Think I see my sweetheart, ridin' many a mile.
Well, sweetheart did you bring any silver? Sweetheart, did you bring a little gold
Or did you come to see me hangin' from the gallows pole?
Yes, I brought a little silver. Yes, I brought a little gold. I didn't come to see you hangin' from the gallows pole.
---Kingston Trio
Last edited by Lightning Rod on August 29th, 2006, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » August 28th, 2006, 4:12 pm

The more the money and the more you get in the press the more you'll get off scott free!!!! Take a good whiff and look at the big heaping mound of murder that's there being displayed for all to see!!!! YUCK why did I have to look????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 20th, 2009, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

picasso

ugh

Post by picasso » August 29th, 2006, 5:57 pm

i have such a hard time with the death penalty. i can never make up my mind about it. part of me really does feel that karl deserves to lose his life. he took one didn't he? and really, he'll go a lot more peaceful than the woman he killed did. there will be no rape. no torture. instead he has time to come to terms with his impeading death, again, unlike the woman he killed. and unlike the woman's child who now has to live without it's mother.

should karl be allowed to live? with 3 meals a day, books to read and yard time? or is taking away his freedom enough of a punishment?

the other part of me doesn't feel like the state should be killing people. i feel it inhumane and that we as humans are better than that, or least our government should be. but then i go back. and forth. back, and forth.

i've struggled with it for years and don't expect to come to decision here on this board. my only hope is that both karl and the woman he killed, in the end, are at peace. becuase violence isn't getting us anywhere.
Conformity--
Proudly Seving
Painfully
Boring People
Since Time
Began

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 31st, 2006, 12:27 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10404019/site/newsweek/

Stanley Tookie Williams when he was being interviewed from his cell a couple days before he was executed, the interviewer asked him.
Are you saying that what’s happened in your life, that you are on death row is the result of racism?
"Of course. It’s germane to my wretched past. I believe I’m here by virtue of karma, not because of killing someone, because I didn’t do that, but because of other things I have done and gotten away with in the past."

He did not claim he was not a murderer he insisted that he was innocent of the murder for which he was being executed He was only asking that his death sentence be commuted. He would have been grateful to spend the rest of his life in prison. They say he was a changed man, he was trying to redeem himself through his writing, trying to witness to gang bangers. But what did that matter? I mean to Govenator?

That crucifixion couch is not a
good death I have read somewhere. Not a painless death, not quick. Or so I have heard doctors say. Not humane if there is such a thing as a humane death penalty. I suppose a humane death would be quick and painless. I always like the death verdict on Monty Python. They let the condemned choose how he wanted to die. All I remember was that at the end of the skit he was being pursued by a mob of nude women wearing football helmets

LR wrote
You make your choices and you take your chances.
karma is a joker and laughs in abandon
karma gives you four quarters for a dollar
http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtop ... =6&start=0

Sometimes I agree with that Clay. It works for me as an adult, but I think there are too many children getting short changed.

"Every hunter hopes a good death will find him" One Stab, Legends of The Fall.

Sister Morphine if it don't.
It was good enough for Freud, its good enough for me.

I could never make eye contact with Karl. We just never connected. When I would try to meet his gaze, he would be looking slightly to the left.
I hope Karl finds peace either way. That old bell curve of human vairables is almost like a mystical symbol to me. What monsters dwell in the tail ends of the bell curve? saints to the left, sinners to the right. Are monsters born that way or do we create them?

germane reply?
dam I think I rambled off again. :roll:
I never could get anyone on litkicks to jam with me about the bell curve.

thanks for another good eye

Three meals a days? Well they could feed him tuna helper. That's pretty cheap if you skip the tuna. So much of that eye for an eye stuff going down these days. So much moral clarity I can hardy stand it. I just don't roll that way anymore. And even if I was looking to revenge her murder I would not want the state to do it for me.

GordonWilson

Post by GordonWilson » August 31st, 2006, 10:42 pm

wow... this story is just heartbreaking, clay. and beautifully and sorrowfully written. (is sorrowfully a word?) ...i don't write enough these days, damnit.

i am sorry and sad to hear that you were familiar with karl. i haven't experienced something so brutal, so close to home. hugs to you. i think it's quite brave and vulnerable to write about something that's essentially extremely personal. kudos and thanks.

this piece reminded me of one you wrote last year, comparing your personal legal adventure with the tabloid trials... -about how much more of a chance someone gets if they can throw money at it, or if it's making news... i think you'd been writing during the jackson trial. it's so true: our society is grossly uninterested in "real" justice and equality. we truly love a good drama. how weak we are as a population...

this kind of cynical view of our species always makes me think of that old bukowski quote, but in reverse - - he said, "i love humanity but i hate people". i tend to prefer to look at it in reverse: "i love people but i hate humanity!" - as a crowd we're like hyenas around a water hole - we find it so easy to lose our depth and thoughtfulness about things when we're not quietly one-on-one. i'd even be willing to bet that i might actually like most politicians if i chatted to them one-on-one... it's when we're in a crowd, or directing a crowd, that we get away with so much horror... and the clamouring, stuffed-shirt "justice system" is such a great example.

anyway rant rant rant.

it's always an interesting view when looking through the poet's eye.
Learn before you vote. Politicians lie.

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”