Work Ethics

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

Work Ethics

Post by Lightning Rod » November 15th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Work Ethics
for release 11-15-06
Washington D.C.

What is work? In thermodynamics it is the amount of energy transferred to a system. In physics it is Mass x Gravity x Distance. If you applied 2 newtons of force to a chair and you moved it 5 meters; you will have done 10 Joules of work. Work is measured in newton-meters or Joules.

Another definition of work is: a product produced or accomplished through the effort or activity or agency of a person or thing, like a work of art.

Some people think that work is measured by how much you get paid for it. To them, work means simply having a job.

To some, work is measured by how much you are suffering while you do it. The increments of grunting and sweating and hours spent away from your family, etc. Work could be defined as anything you do when you would rather be doing something else.

This whole discussion depends on which definition of work works for you.

You can work the soil or work the phones or work a crossword puzzle. You can work the clay or work the dough or work your muscles. You can work an equation. You can even work the system.

Excuse me, I'm having a George Carlin moment here.

You can work the crowd or work the radio or work the saxophone. In this sense it means to make something function properly and when it doesn't function properly we say it doesn't work, as in, "the war in Iraq is not working."

You can workout, be a workhorse, a piece of work (as distinct from piecework or working for peace), you can have workloads and workshops (which are much more honorable than sweatshops), You can do daywork, nightwork, part-time work and side-work and a woman's work is never done and if that's not workable for you, become a man and you'll get equal pay for equal work. You can work on the clock, by the hour and when you get forty of them you have a work week. On every Monopoly board you can find the Water Works. Workman's compensation is for men who can't work. You can do good works or productive work or busy work or shit work or we can work it out. Some people are always looking for work which is the hardest job in the world besides trying to look like you are working. It registers somewhere between root canals and proctological exams on the comfort meter. But that's ok because most people can't tell if you are working hard or hardly working.

All my life I have heard of this thing they call the 'work ethic''. It has something to do with being a Protestant I think. Work is considered a virtue. Go figure.

My work ethic is simple: I avoid it whenever possible. But if something needs to be done, I try to work smart so that I don't have to work hard.

Part of my job as a poet is to figure out how things work, the subtle mechanics of love, society, passion and politics. This is hard work but it's not easy to see.

The hardest work I do is invisible. It's called Thinking. It is a more subtle kind of work--Effort applied across Time.

My trouble is that when I'm working, when I do the hardest work that I do, I look like I am loafing--staring off into space.

"I loaf and invite my soul."--Whitman.

The first time that this problem was made apparent to me was when I was in little league baseball. I was a shortstop. I was a good shortstop. I caught the ball and I made the throw. My problem was that I made it look too easy. I didn't grunt and sweat enough, I just got the job done. The coach wanted to see copious grunting and sweating. He wanted to see me work.

I have this little peculiarity (one among many.) I don't want anybody to see me work. It embarrasses me. My mother always told me, "Never let them see you sweat." I like to work in private the same way as I like to pray in private.

The question becomes, is work a matter of how hard you try or what you accomplish? Work has nothing to do with how hard you try in my definition, it has only to do with what you accomplish.

You could put your shoulder against the Great Pyramid and push and push with all your might and sweat and grunt and you could do this for eight hours a day for a hundred years and still you are not going to move the pyramid. That's pointless work. (see Sisyphus)

One night Ben Franklin came to me in a dream. He said, "Lightning Rod, to be as lazy as we are, you have to be brilliant." This dream occurred after I had read a piece of historical trivia about Franklin attributing most of his best inventions to his native laziness. They were meant to save work.

The carpenter's rule is: Think thrice, measure twice, cut once.
If you don't do the thinking, then you are likely to cut thrice which is a waste of both material and energy. In other words, if you don't work smart, then you are destined to work hard.

The Poet's Eye blinks lazily. Is this working for you?

I'll learn to work the saxophone
I'll play just what I feel
Drink scotch whisky all night long
And die behind the wheel
----Steely Dan, Deacon Blues

Breaking rocks out here on the chain gang
Breaking rocks and serving my time
Breaking rocks out here on the chain gang
Because they done convicted me of crime
Hold it steady right there while I hit it
well I reckon that ought to get it
been
working and working
but I still got so terribly far to go
-- Oscar Brown jr, Nat Adderley

I didn't come here for a long time
I came here for a good time.
---Lightning Rod
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 15th, 2006, 2:45 pm

Good work, Lightning Rod!

You have some great lines in here.

One thing about it, though... some of them contradict themselves which made it a bit of work to read and digest ... but I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

I could quote many of your lines and address them but I'll just select three.
My work ethic is simple: I avoid it whenever possible. But if something needs to be done, I try to work smart so that I don't have to work hard.
That's a smart thing to do, working smart. But avoiding it whenever possible might cause you to accomplish less and if accomplishments are important to you as you say they are in this essay, then avoiding work seems contradictory to what you are trying to accomplish.

Actually, I've been working myself into a tizzy trying to figure out how to reply to this in a way which will work for me and work for you but I'm working way too hard at it. What can I say?
I have this little peculiarity (one among many.) I don't want anybody to see me work. It embarrasses me. My mother always told me, "Never let them see you sweat." I like to work in private the same way as I like to pray in private.
It embarrasses me when I don't get the work done and since I can't afford to hire it out, I have to do it myself which gives me a sense of accomplishment and pride because I do good work but I've been working on the idea of hiring a maid. Did you mother have a maid? Did you ever see her sweat? I thought she worked as a TV personality exercise instructor. She didn't sweat when she did that?
The Poet's Eye blinks lazily. Is this working for you?
It would work better for me if it were winking at me because that always worked in the past.

Thanks for these words. I enjoyed working on trying to figure out what it means and I got a few chuckles out of it.

After I finish working on printing these pamphlets I'm going to work on a Studio Eight logo and later do some work starting to compile the book and then I'll probably take a break and work on my Scrabble rank and after that, if it's still daylight, I'm going to go work on raking up the leaves and then I'm going to the gym to work out.

See ya later!

*smooch*

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 15th, 2006, 2:53 pm

I forgot to ask you why you deleted all those paragraphs about writers block and how long it took you to work on this column.

I bet I know why.

You were embarrassed about telling people it was a lot of work to write this. You wouldn't want anybody to see you sweat. I figured it out.

Never mind then. No need for me to ask.

firsty

Post by firsty » November 15th, 2006, 3:09 pm

work, huh?

who invented this idea anyway? what happened to barter and trade? we've invented the idea of work in order to fulfill invented needs.

we are a stupid bunch of animals.
and knowing i'm so eager to fight cant make letting me in any easier.

[url=http://stealthiswiki.nine9pages.com]Steal This Book Vol 2[/url]

[url=http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?26032]Get some hosting![/url]

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 15th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » November 15th, 2006, 5:44 pm

To qoute Mel Brooks from the movie "Blazing Saddles" Work,Work,Work,Work,Worrrk!
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 21st, 2009, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tompeal

Post by tompeal » November 15th, 2006, 7:26 pm

Nice piece of work, LR. Works for me!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 15th, 2006, 8:07 pm

it is adam's curse
we got to sweat for them
missed the hell out of your voice
happy to read you again.
not to gild the lilly I was getting into the podcasts
too much work

best eye yet LR

edit
Cecil I wish I had said that
Last edited by stilltrucking on November 15th, 2006, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » November 15th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Work ain't near as cruel as a job.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » November 15th, 2006, 11:10 pm

i'm self-employed - work for myself
unfortunately, my self doesn't know how to say no
and i'm overdemanding

work-loads should include play-times
i'm gonna write a letter to my boss

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 16th, 2006, 4:19 pm

I like that.

"I'm going to write a letter to my boss." . :lol:

Me too.

Thank you, judih

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » November 16th, 2006, 4:52 pm

Doreen:

Here's some news from the Hollywood pipeline:

Many year after GILLIGAN's ISLAND ceased production (believe it or not, I got a very obscure script doctor credit on ESCAPE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND-- aka Rescue From . . . probably the worst movie ever made . . .) Bob Denver made some tours of colleges and interested theatre groups talking about his career and the phenomenal success of GI as a tv show. One of the things he did was speak over the radio ( that's my grandmother's Nebraska preposition there . . .).

Denver confirmed that he had done a sizeable amount of Shakespeare on stage, that he had been a voice actor ( with an English accent) and then proved it by sounding ( on the radio-- different preposition that time . . .) like just about as brilliant a dialectician as Peter Sellers.

Then he did about ten other dialects perfectly in rapid succession.

In short, the man was enormously talented. But like Benny Hill, who was also a strong Shakespearean, he hit the jackpot with a schtick that allowed him to work easily-- in fact, not really to work at all.

" Doing Gilligan ( Denver said) was like going to sleep-- no exertion, no work. And he made me more money than anything else I ever touched by a thousandfold."

Look for the right part-- that's the key.

Only what the hell is it?

Nice questions and quips on your other recent post, Doreen.

LR-- well-crafted column. You're getting much better, even if Creators' Syndicate doesn't care.

--Z

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » November 16th, 2006, 5:51 pm

mercy at work in the jewel mines
no wonder i am whistling

seriously
i bet you have to ponder these lines a little bit
or wait for inspiration

they flow well
Parsons company did shoddy work in Iraq
now the Dems wanna get the money back
also from Bechtel, etc
but the Repubs wanted to cancel the inspector-general, a former lawyer for Dubya in Texas
but hey
the lawyer likes his job as inspector-general
and won't quit i bet

gotta go work
don't know if it is too smart tho
i gotta think too much
and smile a lot
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”