It's Hell Being a Poet

Commentary by Lightning Rod - RIP 2/6/2013
Forum rules
To honor our site members who are no longer with us.
Lightning Rod

It's Hell Being a Poet

Post by Lightning Rod » January 14th, 2007, 11:10 am

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/dp-society/whitman.jpg

It's Hell Being a Poet

for release 01-14-07
Washington DC

The Poet's Eye sees that the hardest thing about being a poet is that you can't blink or look away from the truth. If what you write doesn't contain truth, then it is just a pile of scrambled words. No matter how craftily they are arranged, if they don't tell you something about the world or your heart that is true, then they don't constitute a poem.

Ok, what about this one:

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Jabberwocky is a poem, not because it makes sense, but because it indicates a truth to the reader, that truth being: Some things are simply absurd.

As Williiam Carlos Williams reminds us, ""It's hard to get the news from poems, but men die miserably every day for lack of what is found there." What is found there is truth.

My poetic license has been suspended several times. Oh yes, I've been arrested by the poetry cops for DWI (doggerel while intoxicated.) But my excuse was that it was late at night and I was under duress, my wife was about to pop a pimple and I had to get her to the hospital or the church, I forget which, and that's why I was speeding, occifer.

No, the hardest thing about being a poet is that nobody thinks you have a real job. They don't classify Watching, Listening, Comparison, Analysis, Grokking, Reflection and Writing as work. They only see you thinking and drinking and smoking cigarettes.

But there are benefits to being a poet. We always leave the party with the plumpest women over our shoulders. We can be vague and obtuse and corny and dramatic and self-indulgent. Also, god takes care of his poets. This is what the Nazz had to say about it:

And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin-- Matt 6:28

And according to Whitman, these are some of the perks of being a poet:

All enjoyments and properties and money, and whatever money will buy,
The best farms, others toiling and planting and he unavoidably reaps,
The noblest and costliest cities, others grading and building and he domiciles there,
Nothing for any one but what is for him, near and far are for him,

All that a poet is asked in return for these bounties is that he tell the truth. Aye, and there's the rub. The Poet's Eye can never blink nor flinch nor look away. He must observe the ugly truth and then describe it in a painless way. That's his job. It's like having Job's job. The insurance is great but the working conditions are strenuous.

'He going with me goes often with spare diet, poverty, angry enemies, desertions." Whitman

I've long thought that if ever I wanted to be a coherent human being instead of a poet, that I would want to be like Jubal Harshaw in Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange land. He didn't have to worry about being a poet. He just hired one. In the novel, Jubal is a writer that lives on a sumptuous and isolated estate and has three secretaries (think Charlie's Angels) who run around naked and take dictation from him. Every writer's fantasy.

One of Jubal's secretaries is what is called a Fair Witness. This is a tricked-up sci-fi, quasi-religious version of a notary public. She has been trained by a special order of nuns to be able to remember anything she hears or sees. She is a human tape recorder. But, in a sense, this is also the function of a poet--to be one of those irritating people who testifies to the truth.

The words of the true poems give you more than poems,
They give you to form for yourself poems, religions, politics, war,
peace, behavior, histories, essays, daily life, and every thing else,
---Whitman, Song of the Answerer
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Artguy

Post by Artguy » January 14th, 2007, 11:52 am

Damn the truth....at least other peoples version of it....

mousey1

Post by mousey1 » January 14th, 2007, 12:38 pm

no, no
yes, yes
it's all about the truth
and the suppressing of it
no, yes
suppress it against my lips
he who can
I used to walk with my head in the clouds but I kept getting struck by lightning!
Now my head twitches and I drool alot. Anonymouse

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/mousey1/shhhhhh.gif[/img]

Kreddible Trout

tru dat!

Post by Kreddible Trout » January 14th, 2007, 3:25 pm

I believe truth must is the burden of many differing arts. Though when referring to the pure ones I tend to say they have a 'poet's soul'. Most, unfortunately, are sellouts. Truth is a heavy burdon. Crushing some, conforming most of the others.
The truest of the true avoid falling into this category: "If you haven't turned rebel by twenty you've got no heart; if you haven't turned establishment by thirty you've got no brains."

I think I've done just the opposite actually. My heart and my brains feel a little worse for wear.

i wrote this years ago for a little zine in Northern Ontario. Sort of applies:
Ponderings
by Kreddible Trout.

"What Do You Do?"

Ah, to be a writer! Ah even more to be an 'aspiring writer'. Ah yet again to be an actor/short-order-cook/photographer/furniture refinisher/writer/dishwasher/poet/director…etc, etc, etc.
Ah to know what the hell I'm doing!
What does it take? What makes it 'official'? When do I get to know what I am? On my deathbed will they tally up the number of hours in each endeavour I've dabbled in and discover that I was, in fact, a paperboy because I spent 7 years doing it? Or was my stint as a professional dishwasher more time consuming? Eight hour days for 3 years… I can't figure the math. Mind you I have spent an awful lot of time writing. From my first journal in high school until now I just may have logged more hours than I have making club sandwiches! HOORAH! Writing has never paid the rent, though…
AY, THERE'S THE RUB!
Nasty little predicament: how can I justify calling myself a writer if it's never put food on the table? (Well, 'lap' really, I don't own a table.) I've paid the rent by washing dishes, cooking, acting, telemarketing (sorry), moving, working in a factory making decorative trim for throw pillows and cushions (don't ask), and now I'm refinishing furniture! My question now is this: Is HOW ONE PAYS RENT the sum total of what a person is? Everyone wants to know 'what you do', or more specifically 'what you do FOR A LIVING'. Pretty loaded (not to mention classist) question…
'Mr. Trout, what do you do?'
'When?'
'For a living'
'Living? A lot of things.'
'How do you make ends meet?'
'Usually a reef knot'll do the trick.'
'You're not being very helpful here.'
'Sorry.'
'What I'd like to know is what you do for a living, how do you pay your bills.'
'I don't have many bills to pay, but usually I have a job that covers it.'
'What job?'
'Presently my job is a furniture refinisher.'
'So that's what you do for a living.'
'No. That's what I do to pay the bills, what I do for a living is everything else. If my job was living, I wouldn't want to do it anymore. It stinks, it's toxic, it makes my skin dry and my muscles ache…'

I think the point is made.
I am not what I do to pay the rent. I am the things I do because I want to. The things I do for FREE. The things that I must do to satisfy me deep, deep in my guts. The things I do that justify my having a job in the first place. I NEED to write. I NEED to be on stage. I NEED to photograph things people leave in ditches. These things satisfy me. They make me know that I create…
So where does that leave me? I still don't know what I am. Recently someone very close to me unintentionally hurt my feelings by calling me a furniture refinisher. No, damn it, I'm an artist holing down a job! I'm an actor. I'm a photographer. I'm a WRITER. For now. Later I may be a skydiver. Who knows? I'm a lot of things. No one thing will ever sum me up.
I have figured this much out, though, when someone asks me what I do for a living my answer from this moment on will be:
"I create. You?"

-it's a little dated, but I still have my 'joe-jobs' (I'm sorry if I've insulted anyone named 'Joe') I still struggle to do what I need to do, I still struggle to seek and inflict truth.

http://jpgmag.com/people/KreddibleTrout

To be too conscious is an illness - a real thoroughgoing illness. ~Fyodor Dostoevski
'...and I never buy unbrellas 'cause there's always one around.'
-Tom Waits

tompeal

Post by tompeal » January 23rd, 2007, 2:08 pm

The only thing that could possibly be more difficult than being a poet is to live with one!
Tom

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » January 24th, 2007, 11:06 am

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well, then I contradict myself.
I am large. I contain multitudes . . ."

--Walt Whitman

Return to “The Poet's Eye by Lightning Rod”