Sacred Smoke

Magic & Metaphysics.

Moderator: hester_prynne

sooZen

Sacred Smoke

Post by sooZen » June 17th, 2010, 7:12 pm

I spent the afternoon yesterday making traditional Native American smudge sticks from white sage, a bit of lavender and a bit of rosemary. If you are not familiar with smudging or smudge sticks, I would like to elaborate about the Sacred Smoke Blessing ceremonies and it's history and meanings.

Burning sage and other sacred plants was a way of cleansing and preparing yourself, your loved ones, and your environment for a new start or just to get rid of negative vibrations that may exist.

The Native Americans use smudging before almost all essential ceremonies but it is something that any and all can use for the same purposes.

For example you can use it after a day of dealing with negative people, or if someone has entered your spaces and has left bad energies, or you are starting a new enterprise or moved into a new home or you want to just clear your head or feel protected.

And how, pray tell, does it work? Everything vibrates with a subatomic energy(ies) which some refer to as chi or prana, those energies build up in us and in our spaces and sometimes they are not positive. Bad energy can sap you and create chaos in your home or environment. Smudging with sacred plants was a way and understanding of many cultures in dealing with and clearing out these negative vibes.

I have been smudging my spaces for many years but the Native Americans have been doing the Sacred Smoke Blessing for millennia. This is not some New Age, hippy dippy stuff that was made up. Many cultures have clearing and protection ceremonies and the list is waaay long from Christians to Maoris. I prefer Earth centered ceremonies and hence use the Native American Blessing Ceremony of smudging.

Since I had never actually made my own smudge sticks before (always had purchased them from others) I needed to talk to a Master who makes them, find the white sage and find out exactly what kind of things I needed to do to create the "right" atmosphere. (Atmosphere is what we are talking about here.)

I found the Master, got some instructions on the correct procedures, was sold a large bag of loose white sage (which had been gathered with respect and aplomb.) They should be gathered and made during a waxing moon (perfect timing and the moon was also in Leo, a fire sign when I made them!) with a small token of tobacco or corn left for the plant as a thank you. (Also sacred to the American Indian.)

Making the smudge sticks themselves is kinda like making sushi. You gather the herb(s) with the dried herbs in the center (lavender and rosemary in my case), the fresh sage around the outside and after binding them with cotton string, you roll them in a sushi mat or half a section of newspaper to make a nice tight bundle. To make the smudge stick "making" and me more in the mood, I put R. Carlos Nakai, native flute player, on Pandora radio and got into it big time...

Out of my $5 worth of white sage from the sage gatherer, I was able to make 6 smudge sticks of various sizes. Had fun using different colors of strings as well so I could tell which ones were which. (some were pure sage and some were not as I noted)

I am posting pictures of my "sacred smoke sticks" on my blog if you are interested in seeing them. Cecil very kindly took the pictures and I have already given two away to dear friends. The first one I made will go to me and I can hardly wait (I must) for it to dry so I can use my own smudge stick for the ceremonies to come.
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » June 17th, 2010, 10:55 pm

thanks, Soo, for the recipe.
i was introduced to smudging about 7 years ago when a wonderful Reiki teacher came to facilitate a study group on the kibbutz.
Since it was on my territory, i got there early and observed the smudging ceremony. Later on she showed the group how to smudge the corners of the room and the directions, etc.

Since then, i've spotted a teacher friend of mine smudging her classrooms before certain lessons (not a bad idea considering our school has dealt with unifying two different schools into one new population and a teacher's personal edge is a fine ally)

Looking forward to your photos.

sooZen

Post by sooZen » June 18th, 2010, 9:36 am

Thank you judih.

The photos are in place now. Actually, I probably posted too many but my satisfaction knew no bounds. :wink:

I have been smudging or knew about the ceremony for many years and probably because of my proximity and respect for native traditions in this area, including smudging and sweat lodges, etc. But these cleansing ceremonies, like I said, are not just for us Southwesterners.

If you would like to research a little more about the Sacred Smoke Blessing, all you have to do is "google" smudge sticks and their is a wealth of information, I am sure.

You were most fortunate to have witnessed the ceremony and to experience what they are all about. If one does not have access to white sage (which grows wild in these environs), many other plants have similar effects.

Cedar, juniper, sweet grass are just some. Burning regular culinary garden sage could be a bit dangerous in that it is very STRONG and could cause a asthmatic reaction in some susceptible beings. Do your research if you are really interested in making your own. (I was thrilled to have the opportunity and just hope mine dry well and work as well also as the ones I have purchased in the past!) It doesn't actually take much time (good thing) and really works or at least it makes you feel much better about you and your surroundings.

Love and smacks!
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

Return to “Mystic Arts”