Pale blue dot

Magic & Metaphysics.

Moderator: hester_prynne

hester_prynne

Pale blue dot

Post by hester_prynne » July 12th, 2010, 9:05 pm

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p86BPM1GV8M&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p86BPM1GV8M&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
"I am a victim of society, and, an entertainer"........DW

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » July 19th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Thanks for posting a video of "The Pale Blue Dot" by Carl Sagan.
I am still inspired by Sagan, who was a visionary and also a great
scientist who died before his rightful time. I share your love of
"Mother Earth and Father Sky"--our Blue Dot... Yes, even if we go back to the Moon, get to Mars, or whereever, we will be hard pressed to survive there unless we are able to "terraform" the surface.

However, there may still be life on Mars waiting for us to arrive. We might impinge on the Martian life by bringing ourselves, & earth lifeforms there. The first of our life to arrive with us will probably be plants, microbes and blue-green algae. It will be dangerous for all concerned.

I think it is worth a try, but we must not ruin our Mother Earth, so that
space settlers may return to visit, etc. We must be very careful when settling new worlds. Space settlers might all catch some kind of virus and
die...or infect those here on Earth. So we must tred lightly on all worlds and be prepared for the unknown.

I think only a minority of people are ever going to be able to
settle off Earth. So, we need to "keep the home fires burning".
Have you seen "Avatar"? That movie also inspired me,
along with some recent Martian movies.

Return to “Mystic Arts”