Mystical Music????

Magic & Metaphysics.

Moderator: hester_prynne

hester_prynne

Mystical Music????

Post by hester_prynne » October 4th, 2005, 4:23 pm

I want to liven up the studio a little, (alot! heh), and so I'm asking any of you who visit the mystic arts room to feel free to share your mystically inspiring music in here, whatever it may be. It would be interesting to hear what music inspires/augments the mystical in folks.
Just a thought.....

H 8)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 4th, 2005, 4:39 pm

Renee Marie her homage to Nina Simone those african drums Young Gifted and Black, that is about as mystical I can get these days.

I got a belly full of mysticism.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 4th, 2005, 6:59 pm

sorry hester just a bad mood, out of control, talk about drugs, it is amazing what sugar can do to my moods. but those drums really put me through some changes, mystical as good a word for it as anything I suppose.

Rat Bag

Post by Rat Bag » October 6th, 2005, 9:09 am

Try some psy-trance

It's growing on me

There's a whole underground
spiritual movement taking
place around this genre

It's quite amazing

Let me know what you think of the music if you do check it out

It's taken a while to grow on me being that I grew up on metal
and have never been much into electronic music

But it's definitely good if one is in the right frame of mind for it

May not be as entrancing outside of the whole psy-environment

Anyway, give it a try, let me know what you think
This is the centre of the universe.
My tribe is gathered around me.
Behold me.
I AM.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » October 6th, 2005, 1:44 pm

rat bag: psy trance: no idea. Some groups, musicians or djs?

ragas (Ravi Shankar and Shalil Shankar are the only ones I know)
andean instrumental music
eastern europe-gypsy music
and there is a cd that I particulary like: "Kulanjan" by Taj Mahal & Toumani Diabate
(sure there are more)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » October 6th, 2005, 1:50 pm

Here's an improv called "September"

http://studioeight.tv/musicpost/dp/september.mp3

Mystical? I donno. Maybe. ;)

(partially loosely based on the theme from Misty)

And here's my lame attempt at that lovely tune.

http://studioeight.tv/musicpost/dp/misty.mp3

Misty-cal music.

heh

Rat Bag

Post by Rat Bag » October 7th, 2005, 11:23 pm

http://www.spacetribe.com/juan_site/page/intro2.htm

This links to the Space Tribe site, which is Olli Wisdom who's pretty big in psy circles around here I think.

Top right of page is a Jukebox button if the window doesn't open automatically. Gives some free samples of his music, which is fairly representative of the genre, I dare say.
Behold me.
I AM.

Dog_Man

Mathmatical music

Post by Dog_Man » October 9th, 2005, 11:26 pm

Ok, I feel there needs to be some definition made about what actually makes music mystical and what is music. It has been observed that in most mystical traditions throughout the world cosnider music to be an expression of the in-effable. That which can not be conveyed through conventional language. Even ithe stories of the old testament about the angelic choirs that sung out the logo's in adoration to the primodial creative conciousness. The word was seen to be given substance and form by the relationship of sound and intent bestrowed upon it by the archetypal forces that shape the creative processes of the visible universe. A universe that could be speculated to have begun with the original base waveform. Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

There is an early pioneer of electronic music named Karlheinz Stockhausen. He employed music as a medium to convey different phenoma in nature and felt that music that is considered to bring one closer to god, does so by conveying different elements that make up the natural world. Such as the interplay of darkness and light, the changing of seasons, the planets rotation of the sun, the suns rotation around the fixed stars. His music style is somewaht complex as the major celestiial force that inspired his music was the trinary star system of sirius. Apprently it is an astronomical observation that there are certain ancient super dense stars that the younger stars of the outer solar systems rotation is depedant upon. This evokes idea's of a relationship with the supernal triad. That all rudimentary forces are dependant upon the electro-magnetic relationship they have with the celestial forebearers.

http://www.stockhausen.org/

I consider psy trance the most objectively mystical music I have encountered. Each person has resonates with particular frequencies that reflect the nature of the personal quintessence. However there is certain music that is based more upon mathematic formula's and how these formulas and frequencies affect states of conciousness. Psy trance is one such style of music that is deliberately designed to produce Alpha brain waves in the listener. I have observed that in prior to being exposed to this tyle of music, certain sensory synchoncities would need to be artifically created through ritual magick in order to shift brainwaves to the same state of mind that is automatically evoked with psy trance. Since becomming aware of the mystical properties of the music, it has become the major mystical practice that I employ. As is the same with ritual magick, the nature of the trance is ultimately dependant on where the magickal will is directed once the limits of the concious mind have been overcome.

I believe that we are at the age of abolishing that which was formally known as being mystical or magickal and are beginning to understand the mechanics involved to produce an alternation of conciousness, independant of any personal beliefs or experiences that are produced by these altered states of conciousness.

And very similar to the shaman that only required a drum for the spirits to manifest. We only require a certain environmental trigger for our minds to be able to access the most abstract and supernatural states of mind.

It's not how you get there, its recognising when you are there and getting to work. :)

Peace and Pulsars :)
IT feels kinda sproungi.

IT is only has hard or as soft as the pressures we place upon THAT WHICH IS.

Dog_Man

Post by Dog_Man » October 10th, 2005, 12:50 am

Another interesting fact about psy trance is that it stimulates left and right brain hemisphere communication in much the same fashion as orchestral music. The harmonisation of the left and right brain is the biological basis for mystical experiences and states of conciousness identified as embodying properties of the mystic and genius.

Another main application for psy trance involves synchonising body movements for both sides of the body to lead to enhanced left/right brain communication. This practice involves manipulating the conciousness and subtle bodies through different physical movements. Once the practicioner has observed what effects are produced on conciousness from the different movements, then one can build up an arsenal of different gestures and postures to produce the desired shift in conciousness. The tones and frequencies utilised in the music also stimulate different amplification points on the energetic body, more commonly refered to as chakra's, which each have a unique function in conciousness. Once the functions of each frequency have been experienced and the effects understood, then it is really up to the individual to decide which aspects of the super conciousness one wishes to align with and manifest into their personal reality bubble.

Concious creation is my main occupation.
IT feels kinda sproungi.

IT is only has hard or as soft as the pressures we place upon THAT WHICH IS.

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » October 11th, 2005, 6:44 pm

I don't know much about "mystical," but I can recommend some magical music.

Here's one: Captain Beefheart & his Magic Band, especially the Trout Mask Replica album.
The compositions on this album defy all convention and definition. Because of this, you can't listen to them as you would other music. In order to appreciate the compositions, you have to alter your way of perceiving "music." Beefheart intended Trout Mask Replica as a jolt against stale consciousness, so he sculpted aural shapes that shake you out of the "hypnotic state" of the square, nicely geometrical "Mama's heartbeat" (Beefheart's words) rhythms found in other music.
His non-geometrical shapes also evoke natural shapes. The wild curves and angles of a tree, a dog's tooth, the scree on the side of a mountain. At first look, it seems chaotic, but it actually merely is constructed along strikingly more complex patterns than conventional music.
Beefheart also intended Trout Mask Replica as fun. There is a sense of humour, not only in the ridiculous child-like wordplay in the lyrics, but in the melodies themselves.
It's not cerebral music, although it can be appreciated to a degree on a rational plane. It's a visceral, holistic music.
Our ordinary world is but a single island in a vast sea. Beefheart wrote music not for that island, but for the entire sea. Or at least several hundred latitude and longitude.

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » October 12th, 2005, 1:08 pm

Never hoid of psy-trance music before...I've been checking around the internet for samples. (Ratbag, I couldn't find the jukebox in your link, but the site is really interesting and deserves more exploration, I just stopped by for a few minutes but I intend on going back)

I'm garnering from the discussion that mystical music is defined individually which makes sense. I've often derived a mystical sense of my being through listening to Ravi Shankar as Arcadia mentioned.

Jazz and easy listening music really bring me deep and satisfying emotional joy, but as far as mysticality, (is that a word? heh), I'm searching.

Feel free to share your links here to places that have samples of your own mystical music sources....I'd sure appreciate it....

Doreen, gonna go listen to your links right now.....

H 8)

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » October 12th, 2005, 1:36 pm

Doreen!

I listened to the first link and while I was listening I stared at the tree out my window, found myself adding a few ohm type notes in there along with your playing.
Then I listened to Misty.....I love the way you did the bridge, the whole song, it was very......mellow yet deep. I definately think you should combine the two....use the first link as a long intro...let it lead right into the vocals.....
Very cool.
I sure as hell would like to jam with you two someday....Maybe next year at the cabaradio! Be something to aim for.....

Anyway, thanks for the cool listens.
H 8)

Rat Bag

Post by Rat Bag » October 27th, 2005, 10:36 pm

Yeh, that site is pretty cool huh, hest.
Oli Wisdom, I found out the other day, is like 60 odd.
A psy-hippy from way back. I didn't realise.
Thought he was just some young punk.
But he's been around the scene for a long time apparently.

Dog Man is right about that stuff, no doubt. I haven't looked into it as deeply, but in my experience it is certainly mystical stuff. I'm not sure about all the right-brain left-brain stuff he was talking about but it makes sense. The funny thing I've noticed about psy-trance is that it's very tribal and very alien at the same time. It's like the past and future of music coallescing. Tribal rhythms to keep you pumping and spacey, repetitive, sometimes abrasive leads to trip your head out, all electronic.

I dunno, but mystical shit happens on psy.
Behold me.
I AM.

Artguy

Post by Artguy » October 29th, 2005, 8:16 pm

Lately it's been this strange band out of Iceland called Sigur Ros.........

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » November 3rd, 2005, 2:16 am

Listening to them now, cutting through the gloom

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4834623
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

Return to “Mystic Arts”