Magic

Magic & Metaphysics.

Moderator: hester_prynne

Rat Bag

Magic

Post by Rat Bag » October 27th, 2005, 11:25 pm

Okay.

I just mentioned in General how I'm thankful for this forum. I think the existence of such forums reflects the growth of magical thinking in the community. Here we talk Tarot and ritual and mystical experience. It's good.

But I want to start a convo about the essence of magic. Since I've adopted Thelema and Tarot as a guide to life (a religion of sorts: "know Thyself through Thy Way. Calculate well the Formula of Thy Way" -- Crowley) I've noticed significant parallels to traditional religions and self-help literature.

Hence, Question One: Do you see magical thinking as simply an arcane self-help doctrine, a way to view the world and ones place in it positively and promote empowerment in the individuals life? Or do you see it as something much more than that, in that just maybe we really can manipulate the elements like Crowley is thought to have? That we can send plaques, like Moses, through God, of course? That we can really channel our energies to create natural phenomena and tinker with the workings of the universe?

Question One: What is magic, to you?

More questions to come. Add your own.

P.S. I'm not talking slight of hand here, but theatrical magic may have significant parallels to ritual and elemental magic so if that comes up, so be it.
This is the centre of the universe.
My tribe is gathered around me.
Behold me.
I AM.

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » October 28th, 2005, 1:08 pm

The universe is all energy -- although "energy" isn't the real word; it's something there's not quite a word for -- and the actions of energy. Energy is made to act by a mysterious force known in some models as <i>intent</i>.
Magic is the mastery of <i>intent</i>.
Since all is energy, the "physical" world that we perceive is just an expression of energy. It is a metaphor. And, in a world of metaphor, the symbol IS the thing. By definition, symbols consist of a vehicle and an intent. Rituals, spells, foci, talismans, etc. are the vehicle.
In the magic of moving your arm, your brain and the electrochemical reactions it creates are the vehicle. But what matters is the intent. Just think of it -- by <i>intending</i> your arm to move, you made it move. With just the will to do it.
So, yes, if you can get your stuff in order, you can do anything, including controlling the elements.

Although I don't like Crowley. If you ask me, he's a hack.
The most highly-evolved model for magic I've ever seen is described in the books of Carlos Castaneda. Check out "The Power of Silence" and "Journey to Ixtlan" to start with.

Return to “Mystic Arts”