"To the mending of the world."

Magic & Metaphysics.

Moderator: hester_prynne

stilltrucking

"To the mending of the world."

Post by stilltrucking » September 20th, 2006, 4:38 pm

From Judaism 101
Resurrection and Reincarnation

There are some mystical schools of thought that believe resurrection is not a one-time event, but is an ongoing process. The souls of the righteous are reborn in to continue the ongoing process of tikkun olam, [u]mending of the world. [/u]Some sources indicate that reincarnation is a routine process, while others indicate that it only occurs in unusual circumstances, where the soul left unfinished business behind. Belief in reincarnation is also one way to explain the traditional Jewish belief that every Jewish soul in history was present at Sinai and agreed to the covenant with G-d. (Another explanation: that the soul exists before the body, and these unborn souls were present in some form at Sinai). Belief in reincarnation is commonly held by many Chasidic sects, as well as some other mystically-inclined Jews. See, for example Reincarnation Stories from Chasidic Tradition.
http://www.jewfaq.org/olamhaba.htm

I am studying for my Bar Mitzvah. :wink: Crazy Mike was too cheap to spring for Hebrew school. No not true, he spared me the indoctrination. I owe him a lot. But I wish they had taught me Yiddish, I used to understand it but never could write it.

Well one good thing i won't have to get circumcised “You can criticize me all you want, but just don’t circumcise me anymore.”

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » September 21st, 2006, 1:16 am

Tikun Olam

a nice thought. even if i don't read the background, the thought is enough to keep me busy, enlivened and ready to get up and go work to teach.

tea -
kune
oh
lumm

kind of a mantra

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 21st, 2006, 9:28 am

Yes that line had an uncanny resonance, "to the mending of the world" then I realized what I was thinking. A speach by Aragon in The Return of the King. But I think he said "to the ending of the world"

Voices, sometimes they speak too loudly in my head. A fellow can miss the still quiet voice, that my quacker(not a typo) Friends used to tell me about.

Starring into a bare 100 watt bulb ]with egot glazed eyes, hearing a male voice with a Yiddish accent (or was German?) say to me me Jacky what do you want to know?" but it was not Jacky that I heard, it was my yiddish name which I can not spell.

I always thought it was the voice of Uncle Albert, or uncle Siggie, but it could have been my Uncle Phil from Philly.

Just a Jew without Zionism, a Jew without a gun, maybe not even a Jew anymore. was I 'converted' when I joined the Quackers? Maybe the worst kind of a Jew, like the German Jew with his Iron Cross in Katherine Anne Porter's ship of fools.

I got lot to say here judih
At this point this is nothing but spontaneous babble
about as mystical as I can get these days is an open textbox.
I am deeply involved with gender issues
the world i must mend is hers
My sister myself
I mend her world and I mend my own
I mend her world I mend her son's

I will try to be more care full with spelling, typos and such, will underline until I get a chance to fix them later after work.
Last edited by stilltrucking on September 21st, 2006, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrGuilty

Post by MrGuilty » September 21st, 2006, 11:05 am

Among the things of New Spain are the Navajo Curing ceremonies.

It has been a bad time for her both physically and psychically; she needs a sister, not a father figure or a husband. But most of all it has to do with her mother, our mother, my mother too. I call her Alamo Rose cause she rests here in san antone. After three sons Rose was so happy at the birth of a daughter. (Oh Lordy, the gift of a dysfunctional family, it can keep on giving unless someone writes a happy ending for it.) Yeah she is still pained by her mother’s death. Sons get off so easy, Rose ever gentle on my mind, my dreams of her all ways leave me waking with gratitude to see another day. She has stood at the grave of Crazy Mike and said rest in peace, but I have tried to get her to go to Agudis Achiem and visit our mother’s grave with some flowers and she keeps putting it off. She so haunted with anger and guilt. It is never to late for a daughter to feel her mother’s love. Kind of a mantra for me.

Oh lordy,
Narrative of Some Things of New Spain and of the Great City of Temestitan Mexico (Paperback)
by a Companion of Hernan Cortes Anonymous Conqueror (Author), Marshall H. Saville (Translator)

http://www.amazon.com/Narrative-Things- ... 0972983023
A new mythology, and jesus could have walked among them, domini domini you are all catholics now.
I used to be smart

Free Rice

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 21st, 2006, 12:16 pm

Okay I think I fixed all the typos, I think the underlining could be just a crutch that annoys just as much as the typos. I may rethink it later.

Taking this small insignificant beautiful blue green planet (DNA paraphrased) as my holy ground. If it bleeds anywhere it bleeds everywhere. It is all holy land to me. But so much of the violence all over the world goes back to one tiny nation. And so many people want to solve the problem by sweeping them under the rug. A back lash of the Christian Zionists who are trying to turn the USA into Iran.

shit now I got spell check again.
Because I just babbled somemore.
How the hell can I be late for work when I am sitting here and all I have to do is logout here and login there on this same computer?

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » October 10th, 2006, 10:51 am

My first inkling into reincarnation was in the 50's (?) with a book (and a lot of tv coverage, if I recall), "The Search for Bridey Murphy." I was very young but attracted to bits and pieces of the story but thanks to search engines have found this brief info on the book -
A famous case of reincarnation is that of a Colorado housewife who, under hypnosis, was able to recall details of a past life. Her knowledge of the period was astonding.

The woman, Virginia Tighe, regressed while under hypnosis to a life in Ireland, a country she had never visited. On each of these occasions Tighe spoke in an Irish accent and used words in the sense that they were used in mid 19th-century Ireland, not in the sense in which they were used in Colorado in the 1950s.
Of course there are the doubters, (especially in America!), but if the story is factual it is pretty conclusive evidence for reincarnation.

I personally believe that there is truth in it. Several years ago Soo and I had been out for a drive with our first born. He was quite young, maybe 4-5 yrs old, and when we returned and had parked the car, for some reason not remembered by me, he spoke of his father, (let's call him 'John') who had died in a plane crash. We allowed him to speak more on it. He continued that his father was in the army (military service?) and was a pilot and was shot down during a war. I'd have to have Soo here to fill in the blanks on the story, but that was the essence of this small, innocent child speaking from a memory long passed. At that tender age who can righteously accuse someone of lying or fabricating that sort of story?

Of course amongst the Tibetan Buddhist, the Lama's are selected from a search of young ones who they somehow understand to be reincarnations of prior Lama's. I don't see these people as 'new age weirdos' in any sense of the phrase. Their religion relies, as most religions do/should, on more than non-sense. The current Dali Lama was chosen from that belief and I don't see him as being anything less than what he is.

The possibility that we all have been before may not sit well with people, probably because most of us lead pretty mundane lives and did so in our past... regular folks whose lives are not subject for history books, if you know hat I mean.

I was unfamiliar with the Jewish connection to this ancient belief in reincarnation. But it further connects the wisdom of accepting it. And why not? We all are more than a name and face deep within us, something the Zennists call the original face.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 11th, 2006, 1:04 am

I think this is my first trip through this world as a human.

I got such a long way to go.

Sometimes I think my memory of past lives only goes back to being a happy little monkey hanging by my tail and enjoying a banana. Then the branch broke and I fell into this life.

Reincarnation is a comfort to many people. Who am I to deny them that? Spiderwoman the beautiful Jewess whose life I came into like a shit storm found comfort in reincarnation. I hope it is true, for her sake.

I know nothing about Judaism. I was not schooled in it. I suppose I am grateful to Crazy Mike for that. I never even had a Bar Mitzvah. Not sure if I am even considered a Jew anymore by Jews since I joined that Quaker meeting.

I picked up a book called Basic Judaism The chapter that interested me most was called Jesus and the Jews. The author expressed much admiration for Jesus but points out somethings that made Jesus seem less than perfect.

The incident with the fig tree for example. He cursed a fig tree? I love fig trees. My grandmother used to have an outhouse in her yard. This was in Baltimore during the 1940's. When she finally got indoor plumbing she planted a fig tree where the outhouse was. That tree grew like Jack's bean stalk. I still love figs to this day and I have never met a fig tree I did not like..

I used to have a pretty good memory. I cannot remember one adult in my family promising me a reward in heaven or a punishment in hell. It was all here, right now.

The closest my family came to believing in reincarnation was to name children after the dead.

He is my name sake:

RE: Milton Steinberg Basic Judaism
Chapter VI
Israel and The Nations
Judaism on Jesus

To Jews, that Jesus appears as an extraordinary beautiful and noble spirit, aglow with love and pity for men, especially for the unfortunate and lost, deep in piety, of keen insight into human nature, endowed with a brilliant gift of parable and epigram, an ardent Jew moreover, a firm believer in the faith of his people; all in all a dedicated teacher of the principles, religious and ethical of Judaism…….

His was an unexcelled gift for allegory, a genius for incisive utterance, a skill for bringing into sharp focus that which is perceived, but as through a glass darkly. He had great talents as a synthesizer, a collector into organic unity of the disjointed members of a truth. And always there is his own personality, a superb achievement in its own right…..

Jesus was not a Christian he was a Jew. He did not preach a new faith.
But Steinberg goes on…
He was capable of bursts of ill-temper, as when he cursed the towns of Capernaum, Chozazin and Beth Saida, or when he denounces a fig tree for not yielding fruit to appease his hunger, though it was not the fruit-bearing season.

There are at least traces of Chauvinism in him. When a Canaanite woman pleads with him to heal her daughter, he responds: “It is wrong to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs,” He declares explicitly: ‘I am not sent except to the lost sheep of Israel,” To him “Gentile” and “publican are equally terms of opprobrium. And he plainly instructs the Apostles not to bear his message to non-Jews.
Being a Jew for me is about my family not the religion.

It gives me the hebegebees how some Rabbis here are playing up to the Christian Zionists like Hagee, Falwell, Robertson and the like. Apparently they have made a deal not to proselytize Jews in exchange for getting that Hebrew Godd on their side.

Damn damn me, I think I have drifted way off topic here.

Return to “Mystic Arts”