Sunday Stream (173) ~ On Trust

Poetic insight & philosophy by Cecil Lee.

Moderator: mtmynd

mtmynd

Sunday Stream (173) ~ On Trust

Post by mtmynd » July 27th, 2008, 12:07 pm

On Trust
The word "trust" , the noun, is defined by the dictionary as :
"Firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing."

Trust is something we rely upon in our daily lives in people around us as they rely us. The social fabric cannot hold together without this trust. It's not something that is tangible but, as the definition says, a reliance on the integrity, ability or character of a person or thing. Reliance. We rely on trust to make good our lives, for the better or worse, depending upon our choices.

We place trust in many people mostly because we are unable to do it all ourselves. We place trust in our governing officials, those elected to run our country. We place trust in all our leadership including teachers for our children, our religious leaders, our police and military to do the right thing as prescribed by our laws and also common sense. All these are trust factors. We trust in our god(s) to do what it right for us... a very big trust given we have never actually come face to face with this god we trust implicitly to take care of us in our times of sorrow, despair and extreme hardships.

Overall, humanity is trusting. Instilled into us from our early childhood by caring parents, supportive families, close friends and enjoyable associates... they all contribute to the human trust factor. It's a good thing because the alternative is dis-trust... a very uncomfortable, reluctant acceptance of suspicion in another person or thing. "Can I ever trust so-and-so ever again after s/he stole my keepsake?" or "Can I trust eating this jalapeno pepper after reading about salmonella that had been found in some of these peppers..?"

Years ago I wrote the following 'cecilism' -
Trust your path
wherever it may lead
and
remember always
that the path
has been
traversed
by others
before you
to make
your own journey
less filled
with
hazard and doubt
This is another reliance thing... but we are asked to rely upon our own chosen path. This has a parallel to having trust in our spiritual powers, i.e. god(s). We must rely upon ourselves to a very large degree. Not only is it our own responsibility, but to over-rely on others places the responsibility on those people that more than likely have their own fair share of reliance issues. We've got to learn when we need to rely on others and not take advantage of others... many times a delicate balance.

How much trust should one have? The pool of trust is infinite, but our patience is limited. There are those that have absolute trust in everything. Interestingly, Osho's Zen Tarot, has a card, The Fool, which represents this level of total trust.

A FOOL IS ONE who goes on trusting; a fool is one who goes on trusting against all his experience. You deceive him, and he trusts you; and you deceive him again, and he trusts you; and you deceive him again, and he trusts you. Then you will say that he is a fool, he does not learn. His trust is tremendous; his trust is so pure that nobody can corrupt it.

Be a fool in the Taoist sense, in the Zen sense. Don't try to create a wall of knowledge around you. Whatsoever experience comes to you, let it happen, and then go on dropping it. Go on cleaning your mind continuously; go on dying to the past so you remain in the present, here-now, as if just born, just a babe.

In the beginning it is going to be very difficult. The world will start taking advantage of you...let them. They are poor fellows. Even if you are cheated and deceived and robbed, let it happen, because that which is really yours cannot be robbed from you, that which is really yours nobody can steal from you. And each time you don't allow situations to corrupt you, that opportunity will become an integration inside. Your soul will become more crystallized.
I underlined " that which is really yours nobody can steal from you" because that is extremely important to realize, not just know. What is really the true authentic you, your 'I' , is not a tangible, material item that can be stolen. Who can steal the wind, the waters, the mountains or the fires that spew from the earth..? This is very Zen... a very beautiful and honest practice. When Osho says, "go on dying to the past so you remain in the present, here-now, as if just born, just a babe." That is having such an absolute trust in Now that anything else falls short of Truth.

How many folks do you know that have this ultimate Trust? So very, very few including ourselves. We have so far to go as the humans we are, with the potential we have, to be so completely tuned in to Now that all else will evaporate into the ether. But this all takes time, discipline, practice and, yes, trust. If we cannot trust ourselves and our path first, we have no hope of putting trust in anything beyond that. Trust then becomes some five letter word that only implies reliance without knowing, without becoming trust. It takes infinite Trust to accept infinite Trust. It will come, one forward step at a time into the Now. That you can trust.

cecil
27 july 2008

Today's Image of the Week
Neo-Deco Datura

Photo & Photoplay: C.B.Lee
Last edited by mtmynd on July 27th, 2008, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » July 27th, 2008, 2:17 pm

This is a great stream, cec. I feel like tossing a check into the collection plate.

I would throw my debit card in there, but I don't know if I trust you that much....haha.

Trust is such an important thing. If we cannot trust other people, guess what we are left with? Having to do EVERYTHING ourselves.

Trust goes with reliance. If you are able to rely on others then life becomes more of a team effort. If you don't trust others enough to rely on them, then you have to do it all by yourself. And anybody who thinks they can do it all by themselves is probably called an artist....haha.

did I hear someone say, "Lillies of the field?"
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Artguy

Post by Artguy » July 27th, 2008, 6:40 pm

hmmm trust eh?? ....Don't know if I trust the government....sometimes I don't know if I trust myself....but then "I" don't exist.....

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » July 27th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Trust me. I liked this one! ;) A lot!

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » July 27th, 2008, 7:17 pm

Thx, eLRod. I can bill you thru PayPal if you'd like... make it easy for you. Your contribution would make a huge difference in my current lifestyle. ((haha!))

Kurt, you're right. the government is not easy to trust, but there's (hopefully) enough safeguards where it cannot take total control over the populace... at least we all trust that's the case.

Doreen - thanks. I'm happy you liked it... and I do trust your reply. ((truly))

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » July 28th, 2008, 2:06 pm

But this all takes time, discipline, practice and, yes, trust

yes! :lol:

what a beautiful image!!!!!!! :D

thanks for the stream, Cecil!!!!!!!!
saludos,

Arcadia

SmileGRL

Post by SmileGRL » July 28th, 2008, 3:55 pm

cecil...i trust in your ability to never disappoint me with these wise and thought provoking streams of yours 8)

it's funny that you wrote about trust now...this is something i've been contemplating a lot this past few weeks. what makes you trust a person to be what you think they are, to not "abuse" your trust and to be there for you. why do i allow more anonymous friends in my personal circle than physical people/family/friends. why would it be easier to trust someone you can't see...is it the anonymity of it that makes you feel safer than when you're face to face with someone and his/her face reminds you of the past that makes you skeptical even though you've forgiven them. i get the zen thing....the spiritual thing of be the least, trust like a child, etc. but nobody wants to be a fool, right? we learn form our past experiences. is that such a bad thing? don't we become stronger when we learn from our mistakes. and on the flip side isn't the person who makes him/herself vulnerable, the bravest among us?

lots to ponder. thanks!

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » July 28th, 2008, 8:55 pm

you've asked your Self a lot of questions, smileGRL. answer as many as you can as honestly as you can. trust that all your questions have answers within your own sacred silence. learn to listen deeply. you may surprise yourself with what you've achieved! :)

enjoyed, mj.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » July 29th, 2008, 12:13 am

without trust it's all bullshit.....
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » July 29th, 2008, 12:15 am

and o yeah cecil i loves the flowers....diggin them e-ffects.....

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » July 30th, 2008, 7:22 pm

wired: "without trust it's all bullshit..."

hey. can i quote you on that? right on!

"... i loves the flowers....diggin them e-ffects..."

my thx to you for turning me on to them e-ffects, i would've ignored that button for years if it weren't for you.

thanks for droppin' in, amigo. always good to see ya'...

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » July 30th, 2008, 10:28 pm

Trust hmmmmm sometimes it can turn to rust.
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 25th, 2009, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » July 31st, 2008, 1:37 pm

"Trust hmmmmm sometimes it can turn to rust."

I have to disagree with you on this, DtD.

Trust is always trust. It can't turn into anything else.

What can turn is perceptions. Perception may see rust where trust was once assumed.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » August 2nd, 2008, 8:47 am

trust in relationships......easier said than done....maybe the most important ingredient, for it to last.....and yet it's so simple...ya just got to place....posessive????...it's an ugly animal.....what am i getting at?....ultimately u have to trust thyself......

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 2nd, 2008, 10:29 am

Some folks trust to reason
Others trust to might
I don't trust to nothing
But I know it come out right

http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/playin.html
Beautiful picture
Datura
Jimson Weed?

Return to “Sunday Stream”