Sunday Stream (203) ~ oh no, ego where i go

Poetic insight & philosophy by Cecil Lee.

Moderator: mtmynd

mtmynd

Sunday Stream (203) ~ oh no, ego where i go

Post by mtmynd » May 3rd, 2009, 12:31 pm

oh no, ego where i go
so many moments have passed before my very eyes that it would be impossible to have a reasonable count if that were to be something i would be prone to do. but i'm not. i simply allow the moments to pass without the aid of a freeze frame. that would be unbearable in times such as these where i would much rather the time to continue passing without remembrances... erase the memories that may quickly recall the monotony of my sitting here at this keyboard in hopes that something tangible will become of it. but i fill myself with doubt... like a drunkard that has no concern what alcohol to imbibe in. i simply toss out words as if they were seed that the birds on the phone wires patiently wait for every morning so they can continue their daily visitations to other areas of free seed. these words confound even me, for chrissakes. is my need to write that powerful that i will simply type word after word like a chimp at a typewriter jumbling the keys as if the rhythm of it all was some concerto that spoke silently of great and wonderful memories of lives once lived and shared. but i know it to be untrue.

it's that horrid three-letter curse, the ego, we're all so susceptible to... that presence within that appears to be what we are but we know... we know how wrong it is. this ego life is nothing but another effort to sustain our ego so it can pretend to be something it never can attain to being. that is the awful joke that it plays upon itself.. pretense. the mask that has been the character of choice for all as the game of life is so played out on the stage, where we are both the player and the audience, attending to ego's wants to make out of the metaphysical nothingness where we can so easily drown in our want to explore. care must be used or like quicksand, our stupidity will swallow us whole leaving us without wonder or mysteries to make our world a challenge of beauty and knowing.

yes, it is nature. yes, it is natural. yes, it is that simple. how easy it was to be lured away by ego and it's promises to make us much bigger and better than the best we already are... within. truth has always been within patiently awaiting our arrival so it may give. truth is everlasting and impatience is not a quality that it is. truth knows of our searches for some illusive 'something' that we never seem to fully have... always wanting more and more which are disappointments in the end. it's ego that leads us away from truth within.. and it does it very well having practiced on we hu'mans for thousands of years. all our religions, our philosophies, all our sciences merely scratch the surface of this truth within only because we allow ego to tease us, to lead us, but seldom to appease us.

cecil
03 may 2009
pic of the week:
Yogi
aka
'yogurt' and 'Mr Brown'

our handsome and wonderful dog, a boxer/rhodesian ridgeback, born 8.05.02.
Last edited by mtmynd on May 3rd, 2009, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 3rd, 2009, 12:42 pm

I have not read this yet. Just done what I always do which is scroll down and look at the picture first.
A noble looking dog.
Last edited by stilltrucking on May 3rd, 2009, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 3rd, 2009, 1:33 pm

thx, truck, for the 404 notice. i tried 6 times to correct that but always with the same result. i finally took it out. you might want to edit your reply..?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 3rd, 2009, 1:39 pm

Why would I want to edit?

If you think it should be edited
edit away.

Thanks for the stream Cecil.

Always happy to read a sunday stream

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 3rd, 2009, 1:51 pm

yr right... if anyone reads these replies all should be understood.

glad you enjoy the streams, amigo... i've heard from reliable sources that the streams favor you.

((muleshoe, tx. not far from clovis, nm))

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 3rd, 2009, 2:30 pm

Oh okay, if you think it was confusing I will delete it.
But I thought is sounded like an interesting link, but all I could find was that one page with the cover of the book. I will edit the post. Post haste :wink:

I was always so beat by the time I got to Muleshoe. I felt like a stranger in a strange land. I don't know why that town stuck in my mind.

Ego has a long history, you hardly hear the phrase ego trip anymore. Freud sure popularized the word.

Poor little Ego
Trapped between the monsters from the id and demands of the Super Ego.

Yeah I was raised on that trinity.

I was curious about the etymology of the word and I found this.
ego (philos.) conscious thinking subject; (colloq.) self. XIX. — L., the pron. I.
So egoism belief that nothing exists but one's own mind; theory which regards self-interest as the basis of morals XVIII; egotism XIX. — F. égoïsme — modL. egōismus. egotism practice of talking about oneself; self-conceit, selfishness XVIII; the t is of uncert. orig. So egoist, egotist XVIII.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O27-ego.html

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 3rd, 2009, 3:02 pm

So egoism belief that nothing exists but one's own mind
that's pretty much to the point... nothing exists but one's own mind. pure b.s., but nevertheless it's an argumentative idea that's good for debate, which fuels the mind (ego) with more unnecessary nonsense to gives one a reason for being some credibility. :)

getting to Muleshoe wouldn't be a hardship for me (us)... not too far from Ruidoso (hiway 70 nm), about a midway point. years ago we went to Portales to drop off a piece of arr of mine at the college there - a show they were having. other than the college there wasn't much in that town except for the original Cattle Baron Restaurant, which now is in many towns around including ELP... anyway, from Portales we went to Clovis having never been there. what a disappointment, half of downtown was boarded up and the only active place we found was the truckstop (you probably been there, nay?) ... so we left... another 22 miles and we could've seen the metropolis of Muleshoe. darn!

Artguy

Post by Artguy » May 3rd, 2009, 3:12 pm

There is no I in me.....

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 3rd, 2009, 3:27 pm

There is no I in me.....
purged.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 3rd, 2009, 5:22 pm

I got more eyes in me than last years potatoes.

Portales is a nice town, a college town.

Ruidoso is wild mountain ride in the winter.

Going through the Mescalero Apache reservation.

I am not going anywhere Cecil

But I sure would like to see my cyber pals from Studio Eight and Litkicks somehow, sometime, somewhere.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 3rd, 2009, 6:45 pm

i wonder how many folks on this board can afford to go anywhere? we're on a pretty limited budget ourselves... even missed our visit last fall with our son in Austin, Noah.

how far out of SA do you live.. east, west or..?

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 3rd, 2009, 7:07 pm

On the north side, about a hundred yards from the main Drag of The Southern Pacific Railroad and near Randolph Air Force Base which is just on the other side of the tracks.

I got airplanes, trains and EMS sirens day and night.

Home sweet home.

I love the sound of those trains passing in the night like temple bells. Sometimes I swear those engineers are saxophone players.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 3rd, 2009, 7:16 pm

reminds me of John Fogarty singing the Midnight Special. I always enjoyed his music with or without Creedence... he's like a Stephen Foster, who many call the Father of American music... a lot of excellent songs John has written.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 3rd, 2009, 7:53 pm

He is good, hard to believe the crap that record company pulled on him or was it his band mates?

Ja Cecil I look forward to these steams. First thing I do on sundays almost is check and see if you have posted one.

When I saw yours this morning the words out of my mouth were "Thank god a sunday stream to read"

I found an interesting book review about the super ego.

I acknowledge that The Road Less Traveled and Beyond is in many respects a wonderful book, with good lessons for all of us--even those who are on other spiritual paths, such as Buddhism, Zen, Yoga and meditation, Shambhala, secular humanism, the Enneagram work, the Fourth Way, and the Diamond Approach. Scott Peck is--other than Teilhard--one of the few populist Christian moralists who speaks to the transcendental aspects of reality in a way that resonates with the other great spiritual paths.

Pecks’s term for the super-ego is the "observing ego," which seems to have--for Peck--some similarities to the "witness state" of some other spiritual paths--or even the mindfulness of vipanassu. As we’ll see in a moment, he also equates the activity of the "observing ego" with "self-consciousness," (or a lack of spontaneity) and depression. However, the true "witness state" or "mindfulness" has nothing at all to do with the lack of spontaneity. In fact, those activities actually require that some degree of spontaneity be achieved so that the self can detach from the intellectual manifestation of mind, and watch its activities without judgment.

- Darrell Dodge, TelosNet
Scott Peck’s Pact with the Super-Ego

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » May 3rd, 2009, 10:43 pm

He is good, hard to believe the crap that record company pulled on him or was it his band mates?
I honestly don't know the full story behind his silence for years, other than some legality situation. but he survived and continues to do that which he obviously does so well.
Ja Cecil I look forward to these steams. First thing I do on sundays almost is check and see if you have posted one.

When I saw yours this morning the words out of my mouth were "Thank god a sunday stream to read"
I read those words and had a man-blush. Someone once assured me whenever someone compliments you, the best thing you can do is thank them. "Thank you, Jack Tilles."

I must certainly thank Doreen for her invite to continue my Sunday Streams years ago. Without that ... who knows? It's been both a pleasure and a challenge that I've tried to meet as time permits.

As you either know or perhaps remember - I, too, became fascinated by the writings of Sigmund. That happened when I was 17 or so... I had come across his name somewhere and pursued the curiosity, finding some early books of his. I believe I read every book he had published, even though I was no clear about so much of these writings, but I somehow felt an connection, no matter how slight at times, but it brought about a futher confirmation of various ideas I had about mind and it's functioning in the subconscious.. I was a bit baffled by the super-ego at the time, and oddly enough have not given any further interest in... perhaps when the need arises, eh? This provided quote of yours does cause some itching for knowing... :)

TY

Return to “Sunday Stream”