Sunday Stream (249) - On Nature

Poetic insight & philosophy by Cecil Lee.

Moderator: mtmynd

mtmynd

Sunday Stream (249) - On Nature

Post by mtmynd » August 8th, 2010, 1:51 am

On Nature
So much going on, not only for me and SooZen, but the world at large it's difficult to hone in on any one thing that's interesting enough to write about... it's all pretty interesting as I see so much in transition due to circumstance. Weather conditions seem to be wreaking havoc upon many sections of the world from floods to heat waves not seen in long periods of time and uncontrollable wildfires. With these things happening I expect hurricanes may be stronger than we've seen in a long time.

It's enough along with our own man made problems with the economy, joblessness, unhappiness and higher than normal drug and alcohol use adds to the larger problems. On top of all that the general health of the country is diminishing with more and more people resorting to cheaper and less nutritious food to feed themselves and their families.

Rather than get all riled up and join in the desperation and chaos confusion brings in uncertain times, I reach down and look for the reassurances that these are times of large transitions... major changes in many things we have taken for granted for so long that we've built our cultural habits and understandings around them.

We fret when we see the old tried and true shaking in the winds of change and feel a sense of loss, like a family member or an old friend we always could count on, now living with the same uncertainties as so many of us. If we accept the fact the change is inevitable, if we realize change is normal and all things are affected by it, it goes a long way towards understanding that what we are experiencing is beyond our full control. We need to put on our seat belts and hang on because the driver of this world is taking us on a ride of our lives and either we fear the destination or we become alive with wonder as to how it will all turn out.

I'm quite sure there is nobody amongst us who knows where Spaceship Earth is heading in an evolutionary sense. It's powered by the forces of Nature and where it ends nobody knows. We can only speculate and wonder and try our best to enjoy this time in our lives that may very well bring about changes that will reinvent most of our lives with prospects and ideas that may be very foreign to most.

But it is certain that our world is becoming old and tired and like old and tired people, this world is at best uninspiring as it is. Be assured there are many, many, many folks 'out there' who hold certain keys to resuscitate Mother Nature and join closely with her in bringing a better future that what we have had not so very long ago.

It seems along with so many changes is the reality that we must now face the piper... no more lies, no more deceit... for ourselves and for others. There simply isn't enough time to spend cheating life any more... time is precious as is the life that is measured by it. "Out with the old and in with the new," as the adage goes and it's more important now than ever before in our lives.

Our technology and sciences have reduced the world to what can very well be - an Eden on a vast scale that will aid greatly in supporting life that no longer needs artificiality to sustain it. Nature has been doing 'her thing' far longer than life as we know it has been here. Life can and will continue providing with or without us hu'mans challenging Nature's beneficence ... the provider of life for all life. We must get over the idea that we have control over 'her'... an act of arrogance that we are paying for this day and will be for a long time, if we don't accept what Nature does as a learning experience for all who care to observe and accept the lessons. Those who fail to learn from Nature, as did those before us, will fail to gain the wisdom of Nature.
There is no greater knowledge than that of Nature.

cecil

Picture of the Week:
Down by the Seashore

photo: cecil [7.31.10]

Artguy

Post by Artguy » August 8th, 2010, 8:16 am

Great to see you in such fine writing form.
"I use to care but things have changed" B. Dylan

I think we have too stop thinking of nature as something separate from us...after all we are just another species on the 3rd rock from the sun.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 8th, 2010, 10:36 am

Thanks, Kurt... as usual I appreciate your comments. It's been awhile, as you know, since I wrote a Stream and it sure felt good! :)

Indeed, we are part and parcel of Nature herself but do to a great learning curve for much of the 20th century, I feel we have gotten off Nature's track, so to speak, using our ability to learn as an experiment to rise above our own Nature. This has/is proving to be not to the benefit of Nature and all that it implies. We believe we can and even have conquered the 'Mother' which gave us life. Unwise.

Artguy

Post by Artguy » August 8th, 2010, 10:41 am

It was biblical to reign over all god's creation....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 8th, 2010, 10:55 am

Yes.. something about the translated word, 'dominion,' I believe. English speakers apparently took that to mean 'control' over 'caretaker' you think..?

I wonder how other languages interpreted that..?

Artguy

Post by Artguy » August 8th, 2010, 2:34 pm

A subject near and dear to my craggy old heart. Perhaps there have been several too many translations of ye olde good book. Terms like back to nature mean little to me as we are a cog in the world of nature. we are living in nature. We're just not playing nice....

I was raised in what was a very rural settings, where cows out numbered humans, and green farm land rolled out beyond the horizon. Now most of it is either substandard houses, lots of road for cars, or golf courses. Large expanses of reshaped landscape for the benefit of boys who need lots of play things and places......don't get me started...

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » August 8th, 2010, 4:11 pm

In my view, "stewardship" is a good word for humanity's role
with nature. In addition, I would use the word: "communion".
We need to take on both roles for nature to keep being forgiving.
Otherwise, "mother nature" will turn on us... We need to keep
the ends out so we can bind ourselves to these roles.

Then nature will sustain us and we will not destroy her gifts.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 8th, 2010, 11:50 pm

"stewardship"... yes, Steve, a much better word and one I could not come up with at the time. thank you.

re: mother nature 'turning on us' ... gives me the creeps. :lol: it's like some horror movie with some campers fighting off the shrubs and pines as they attempt to stomp the campers for using such a big fire.

I'm sure there is a better expression, eh? but it's late here and i'm not tuned in to such adventures right now.

thanks for the reply. i do appreciate it.

sooZen

Post by sooZen » August 9th, 2010, 8:07 am

mt, you know I LIKE this stream, right down my river.

It has taken me almost 60 years to come to a full circle of understanding of and about Nature. Now, like a babe, I see all with wonder and appreciation and my focus is on the positive forces that exist in life and not so much, the negative (anymore.) I no longer feel the need to rail against or even listen to, the news of destruction, the ongoing follies of some of the big apes that we are. For I trust in the UNIverse-al poetry of Nature, that all has rhyme, rhythm, and season even if I do not know or understand the mysteries or "why's?" of the Big Picture show.

We Big Apes, that think (part of the problem) we can control Nature are delusional and misled for Nature surely controls us. Maybe that is why "we" want to believe in something bigger than us that hopefully, controls things and is in some kind of driver's seat? Gods are man made objects (this particular Big Ape thinks) that provide answers to the mystery, tragedy, and suffering that living a life ensures.

Me? I am just happy to feel the flow of my every day, experience all within my reach, touch and heal those close at hand, be healed by my friends, create and not destroy and love, love, love Living while I can! Nature will take care of the rest...
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 9th, 2010, 9:33 am

.. and thank you, my dear, for the enthusiastic reply. i love it.

"in the beginning god created..." sounds like a great beginning for everyone, not just (a) god. brings a peace within to do so... for that is where 'god' resides. ;)

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » August 10th, 2010, 9:28 pm

great to read you & Soo again l!!!!!!! :D gracias for the stream and the beautiful photo!!

saludos!,

Arcadia

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » August 10th, 2010, 10:54 pm

y muchisimas gracias a usted, amiga mia! nice to see you here and i'm very happy you enjoyed this Stream! ;)

Return to “Sunday Stream”