Sunday Stream (273) ~ Nature's Flex of Force

Poetic insight & philosophy by Cecil Lee.

Moderator: mtmynd

mtmynd

Sunday Stream (273) ~ Nature's Flex of Force

Post by mtmynd » March 4th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Nature's Flex of Force

Once again the forces of Nature became unleashed and hu'manity was the hardest hit. Worldwide we hu'mans take the brunt of Nature's power and normally live to talk about it. But it is those few short days after the calamity occurs is when we feel the pain, sorrow and loss of those who were in the path of destruction.

How many tornadoes have struck the areas that have been hit? Surely tornadoes have been doing what tornadoes must do far longer on these lands than people have lived and thrived on the same lands but we continue rebuilding with hope that the same plot we live on will not be hit again, at least in our lifetime.

In watching the news reports during and after the tornadic events passed, I was taken by a reporter standing in front a pile of debris. This reporter said that only an hour earlier there was a trailer home standing in this same spot... the same spot that only a year ago was struck by a tornado destroying the owner's trailer home. That trailer was tossed some short distance and still was lying there, a pile of debris, for over one year. Where will this latest pile of broken dreams go?

This is the tragedy of our civilization - our homes and the memories we collect during our lifetimes become, after a natural disaster strikes our homes, another pile of meaningless trash fouling the silent beauty of nature that has stood that same ground thousands of years prior to the latest natural disaster.

Is it in our urgency to shelter ourselves and our families that we settle for the weakest of structures to raise our children and guard our personal treasures? Or do we have the know-how and the desire coupled with answers to build our communities using stronger and more stable materials so our very futures may last longer than a few years?

Taking a serious look at architecture that has withstood the test of time is still standing in many areas of the world. Fortunately not all these areas are under the happenings of violent storms that other areas are subjected to, but that is the point (or question) - knowing how fragile our homes and businesses are in tornado country or on the shores of oceans where hurricanes are fairly common... areas that are flood prone or in areas where the likelihood of earthquakes is possible in our lifetimes... these are the same areas that hu'manity apparently is drawn to to put down roots.

"The United States alone has clearly mapped its population expansion where around 53% of the population lives near the coast and where, since 1970, there have been 2000 homes per day erected in coastal areas." - http://coastalchallenges.com/2010/01/31 ... tal-areas/

I don't have the figures what percentage live in "tornado alley" in the U.S.. That is not quite as defined as a coastal area is, but it does encompass a vast area of what is called the "Mid West"... which is also the great grain belt that has fed not only our people but people worldwide, the soils being so rich with nutrients.

There are (5) five areas of the Earth's oceans where permanent 'islands' of trash come together from we hu'mans insistence on using the oceans as trash pits. Much of this trash is plastics as the material does not sink to the bottom but float menacingly on the top of the ocean waters. These areas trick the birds and the fish into believing much of this plastic, given the distorted shapes, is food. We can imagine what it would do to our own health if we are plastic... the same for much of this wildlife.

The world's life... all life forms that inhabit our world, has survived and thrived for millions of years... with Nature's fury reducing the population by drought, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes and volcanoes... and the occasional stray meteorite being to blame. Forces that are far beyond the power of the Earth's varied life forms.... except hu'manity. If we do not get a handle on our irresponsible ecological ignorance we will be the only culprit to blame for shortening the life of this lone planet in our galaxy.

We congratulate ourselves for our many accomplishments and when our shortfalls are brought to the forefront, we personally do not take one iota of responsibility for those weaknesses and shortsightedness that obviously are detrimental to our precious and closed environment we call home. Whenever I see a huge natural disaster like the Japanese tsunami recently and the horrific force of the tornadoes that struck our country, after the shock and awe of seeing the amount of damage, I cannot help but see the greatest amount of debris is what we used to live in, do business in, educate our children in... even transport ourselves .... all in the effort to survive. All this trash (and who knows where it will all end up?) reminders of the fragility of our own lives... so much of it at the expense of this wondrous planet, a planet that people of times long passed felt to be the promise of a Garden of Eden... a Utopia that has been raped and pillaged in the name of greed. With no end in sight to our shameful ignorance, will hu'mankind's life ever evolve out of the sandbox mentality that we seem to be stuck in..?

cecil

Picture of the Week:
~ On the Backstreets of Silver City ~

Imagephoto: cecil

SadLuckDame

Re: Sunday Stream (273) ~ Nature's Flex of Force

Post by SadLuckDame » March 4th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Thank you much, cecil.
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
little mischievous darling!
~Lewis Carroll

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » March 4th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Thank YOU!, Dame, for taking time to stop by... I appreciate it. :)

Artguy

Post by Artguy » March 5th, 2012, 11:35 am

" I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Toto..."
It is indeed a tragedy..However I think of man made calamities as tragic...When mother nature takes us there is something different in the wind as though we owe her for our misgivings....perhaps we should take heed of her power and learn to live with her not against her...

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » March 5th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Re: "perhaps we should take heed of her power and learn to live with her not against her..."

Indeed, Kurt... our path appears to be one that goes against Nature and not with her... a path that will certainly lead to calamity. One of our downfalls in the so-called 'modern era' that needs to be realigned with that of Nature.

Gracias, amigo... good hearing from you.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » March 6th, 2012, 10:46 pm

All this trash (and who knows where it will all end up?) reminders of the fragility of our own lives... yeah, it seems trash not let us forget about its existence lately ... all kinds of not recycled old trash and fresh speedy new trash ... and what´s the opposite of fragile...? :roll:

gracias for the stream, Cecil!!

saludos!,

Arcadia

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » March 8th, 2012, 2:23 am

a tsunami of trash is overtaking the very lands we live on...

gracias, amiga mia... y hola argentina! :)

Artguy

Post by Artguy » March 8th, 2012, 11:07 am

As we type our magic tsunami debris is still washing up on the west coast of British Columbia's Vancouver Island...It's odd I have always had an appreciation of paintings that depict mother nature pissed off...

tornado-3-5988.jpg
tornado-3-5988.jpg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 3070 times
Tornado, oil on plywood with routered details. I can only guess at it's size as I have seen it. Probably 16' x 8'
This painting is by Canadian Artist Paterson Ewen, the man who inspired me to pick up the router and use it in my paintings

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » March 10th, 2012, 11:33 am

Is the debris tsunami reaching your shores? it's my understanding that Japan has sent our shores literally a massive amount of trash... that has to go somewhere... the only target of the winds and currents of nature. is there a deeper message here?

interesting painting by Ewen... and also interesting to me that he was your 'router' influence. that is one massive painting. does Canada get many tornadoes? I've not heard about any, but our weather news looks at the world as the end of our national borders. :lol:

Artguy

Post by Artguy » March 10th, 2012, 2:53 pm

Ya the debris has reached us. I understand there is a monument of sorts being constructed from it.
We don't have a tornado alley as you do in the midwest...they seem to be sporadic up here...
There are several of Ewen's paintings at our local public gallery..the art gallery of Ontario...he was a tortured guy suffering from depression and alcoholism...

Return to “Sunday Stream”