Sunday Stream (S8 – 292) Speaking of Corporations

Poetic insight & philosophy by Cecil Lee.

Moderator: mtmynd

mtmynd

Sunday Stream (S8 – 292) Speaking of Corporations

Post by mtmynd » April 1st, 2019, 1:51 am

Speaking of Corporations

What is happening in our world today with Corporate wealth dominating Politics and it's Politicians, dominating the Media and even our eating habits with the power of Fast Food Restaurants dotting the globe has been an ongoing movement far longer than I was aware.

Some interesting quotes to ponder -

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." - Thomas Jefferson, 3rd US president 1801-1809.

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country...corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war." - President Abraham Lincoln.

"American private enterprise is confronted with this choice; it may strike out and save its position all over the world, or sit by and witness its own funeral.... We must set the pace and assume the responsibility of the majority stockholder in this corporation known as the world.... This is a permanent obligation.... Our foreign policy will be more concerned with the safety and stability of our foreign investments than ever before." - Standard Oil of New Jersey executive, 1946.

"There seems to be nothing to prevent the transnational corporations taking possession of the planet and subjecting humanity to the dictatorship of capital.... In order to crush any thought of organized resistance to the supporters of the new world order, tremendous police and military forces are being used to establish a doctrine of repression...." - Christian la Brie, Le Monde Diplomatique (Paris)

“Few trends could so thoroughly undermine the very foundations of our free society as the acceptance by corporate officials of a social responsibility other than to make as much money for their stockholders as possible." - Neo-liberal economist Milton Friedman in his 1962 book 'Capitalism and Freedom.'"

“Corporations have taken over the government and turned it against its own people." - Ralph Nader

From the times of Thomas Jefferson thru the year up to today, the warning alarms about Corporate Control has been spread across the lands. One could argue that it's warnings have been so long exclaimed where is the danger today? Look around us with clear eyes and a non-judgmental attitude and you may very well see bits and pieces of these warning coming more and more to fruition. Today's Mega-Corporations it is said have far more wealth than ever before in our Nation's history, including the dollar value of the past to the present, the wealth is mighty.

Also note that for the first time in America's history our very own Supreme Court, with it's Republican majority has voted into law Citizen's United giving a completely unfair advantage over the casual voter to that of massive Corporate wealth. The outcome of this discrepancy is yet to be felt as the election grows near. If we do our homework it may become more and more clear how Corporate power is intensifying control over the major interests that all Nations rely upon - energy, transportation, agriculture, media/communications to name but four demands civilization requires for it's continuing evolution.

If our own Thomas Jefferson was talking about it in the late 1700's - early 1800's and we're continuing the dialogue today, one may take away from that the battle between the two has yet to be decisively won. Whether it will depends on so much from so many that it becomes debatable whether there are enough interested and caring individuals to aid in, if not the battle but the defense, of what we prefer to have as our leadership - someone we are able to fairly vote into office or someone that is chosen by Corporate necessity to extend their tentacles into every part of our social network.

Allow not destiny to intrude upon Now

Return to “Sunday Stream”